Amps Fender Twin

WarrenHummel

Blues Newbie
HI I.m Warren been a member for some time, I have a question for all the gear heads , I picked up a fender twin reverb, always wanted one and think its a great amp. , have a tube set ordered as this amp someone has been in there and a bunch of mismatched tubes . The pots are a little scratchy ,does anyone make an electrial cleaner., ANd the big question is it worth changing the speakers, Someone changed the jensens out of it and put emmience Patroits in the amp , not a fan of emmience. But this amp will just be sitting in the guitar room .Can get the speakers if i want , was just wondering would i be getting any sound improvement if i switched back to the jensens . thanks for any help. Warren

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
@CapnDenny1 Paging CapnDenny. CapnDenny can answer any question you have regarding tubes and pots and getting the amp to work and all the technical stuff. He's like The Amp Whisperer.

There's a bunch of other guys that can give you an idea of what speakers might be better in the amp. They have an ear for the tone that folks like me apparently don't possess. I'm sure they'll be along before too long as well.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Congrats on getting what I think is a great amp.

Amp whisperer eh? More like the Cuss at the Top Of Your Lungs at the freakin lousy darn %$#$$$#$ &&&&%$%%##67 ing son of a %$##@@#$% and the horse it rode in on! erer. ;-)

I love Eminence speakers, but to each their own. I hate Jensens. I think Celestion is overpriced, and I just don't like them that much. Although the Celestion V-Type that is in my PRS Sonzera amps sounds pretty darn good. My son likes Jensens, but he likes how they sound overdriven. I'm more of a clean sound kind of guy. The stock speakers from fender are pretty bad, unless they were some sort of special upgrade or something. You might consider some neo magnet speakers? They use lighter magnets. Find something you like and go with that. I mean why not?

I don't clean pots. In my experience if they are scratchy, it's time to replace them. My buddy Dave does a yearly tune up, where he routinely checks the bias and spray cleaner in all the pots for his customers. In my experience, even if it goes away, it will come back soon. Sometimes a scratchy pot is caused by a leaking coupling cap, that is letting high voltage get onto the pot. They tend to not like having 100Vdc across them. When you adjust it, the wiper actually arcs because of the high voltage, and generates noise, like a scratchy pot.

When you get the new tubes, you will need to get the amp biased. Some twins have a bias balance pot, but no overall bias adjustment. Some have only the bias and no way to balance them. What flavor of Twin is it? There is usually a chassis number on a tag inside. Or if you can tell me the age and what it's called etc.

So what kind of tubes did you get for it? How much?

I have 2 Fender Twins I am going to build hardwood cabs for and sell, so I need some tubes cheap.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Congrats Warren! I got mine in ‘73 on the recommendation of my teacher, who just happened to get one for his new gig with a band. At the time, JBL’s were the recommended upgrade speaker. We both got ‘em and they sounded great! Still do!

WarrenHummel

Blues Newbie
Congrats on getting what I think is a great amp.

Amp whisperer eh? More like the Cuss at the Top Of Your Lungs at the freakin lousy darn %$#$$$#$ &&&&%$%%##67 ing son of a %$##@@#$% and the horse it rode in on! erer. ;-)

I love Eminence speakers, but to each their own. I hate Jensens. I think Celestion is overpriced, and I just don't like them that much. Although the Celestion V-Type that is in my PRS Sonzera amps sounds pretty darn good. My son likes Jensens, but he likes how they sound overdriven. I'm more of a clean sound kind of guy. The stock speakers from fender are pretty bad, unless they were some sort of special upgrade or something. You might consider some neo magnet speakers? They use lighter magnets. Find something you like and go with that. I mean why not?

I don't clean pots. In my experience if they are scratchy, it's time to replace them. My buddy Dave does a yearly tune up, where he routinely checks the bias and spray cleaner in all the pots for his customers. In my experience, even if it goes away, it will come back soon. Sometimes a scratchy pot is caused by a leaking coupling cap, that is letting high voltage get onto the pot. They tend to not like having 100Vdc across them. When you adjust it, the wiper actually arcs because of the high voltage, and generates noise, like a scratchy pot.

When you get the new tubes, you will need to get the amp biased. Some twins have a bias balance pot, but no overall bias adjustment. Some have only the bias and no way to balance them. What flavor of Twin is it? There is usually a chassis number on a tag inside. Or if you can tell me the age and what it's called etc.

So what kind of tubes did you get for it? How much?

I have 2 Fender Twins I am going to build hardwood cabs for and sell, so I need some tubes cheap.
Amazon and Reverb seem to be the cheapest. I ended up using JJs , Grove tubes are just relabled by fender , the russian and chinese are too expensive. the JJs are european . I found this tag with CH3 or 5 / next line HR . Not sure of the year . It is a fender twin reverb amp. . and the tubes cost with tax and all the charges a little over 150.00.also set you another message . thanks for your help.