Lets see your pedal setup

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Here's mine as it currently stands - a real clean setup.

IMG_0877.JPG

This is going to change soon however.
There was a discussion some time back about multi-effects units. At the time I had just purchased a Zoom G3n to be able to play with a number of different effects, even though I have never been much into pedals.
I had put forward the idea that multiple effects units were a good way to figure out what pedals an individual really liked and had a practical use for without spending a fortune. I took my own advice, and I think it was good advice.
But I kind of figured I'd just learn to play guitar first.
Having failed miserably at that, I have now decided to go ahead and waste some money on some pedals instead, now that I know what I want.
My search began with a reverb that I liked. I thought too many reverbs sounded like, well, reverbs. I really wanted something that added more of an ambient fullness to the sound rather than an obvious reverb effect. I recently heard and instantly loved the sound of the Earthquaker Dispatch Master (combination reverb and delay in one pedal). Got it - love it.
After hearing RR's enthusiasm for the J Rockett Dude, I gave a listen to it, and have to agree - it's exactly the type of overdrive that I like too. The ratio control lets you dial in just the amount you want without losing the guitar's natural tone and clarity. Got it on order - expect to love it.
I have an el-cheapo Joyo Dyna compressor that works great as a clean boost and does a decent job of adding mild compression if you don't overdo it. I will use that. I do not expect I will feel the need to upgrade that pedal.
I also have a Joyo American that is pretty darn good pedal, and may (or may not) make the board as a second level of overdrive, although I'm not sure I will need it. It's not an overdrive pedal, but it works pretty good as one.
Also on order (back ordered until August sometime) is a DSM & Humbolt Simplifier pedal pre-amp / cab sim to give me Fender, Marshall, and VOX amps with several cab choices. This is an all analog masterpiece IMO, and I am expecting great sound from it.
A Trio+ band creator + looper will round out the board.
I expect that this is everything I need to get any sound I want or need.
I have 5 different amps that I will try out with this, ranging from 0.5w to 800w.
I am expecting great results with all of them.
It's clear that a person could drop a fortune into pedals - especially if you buy all high end ones. I don't mind spending good money for a pedal that exhibits particularly good results, but fortunately there are also some pretty good sounding inexpensive pedals that can help keep total costs down.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Methinks that ought to get you going strong for a year - or five. The Joyo American is a great amp-in-a-box pedal for Fender amp tones. The J Rockett Dude will stack with that very well. I could easily play a club gig with only the Joyo American straight into a PA. If you can't get stellar blues tone out of the Dude combined with the American methinks you are hopeless. I have no experience with the DSM & Humbolt Simplifier but Youtube demos of it are pretty amazing, About the only thing still needed might be a wah pedal. The practical trick to pedal boards is keeping them small enough to be easily toted around and still give you all the functionality you really need ... everything you need and nothing you don't, and a small compact dual-purpose vol/wah like the HoTone VOW fills that bill VERY well ... it is what I use, love it, built like a rugged little tank ... and I love its Crybaby-like wah tone.

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
After trying to play guitar off an on for almost 60 years now, I just realized that the one thing I have never tried in all that time is a wah pedal!!
Might have to consider one of those Hotones.
Oh crap, here we go.
Better find a bigger rabbit and a deeper hole. :Beer:
People tend to obsess over which wah pedal sounds the best. I have three ... a Morley Maverick, a big huge Boss monstrosity with all kinds of tone settings, and a cry-baby type ... all on my never-used shelf. But I find my little HoTone to be my cat's meow. Not real sure, but I think Griff has three or four as well.

There is more to running a wah than just rocking your foot up and down. You need to learn to use it to be expressive, to accent certain notes, to make one long note "cry", etc. etc. Hendrix was a master of it. Griff is pretty good at it, he should make a video of just this.

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, since you asked: :D
Thank you Mike! ASK AN THOU SHALT RECIEVETH! :)
That Griff guy never misses a lick! Get it?
;)

And just to add to OG's confusion, the little HoTone pedal doubles as a volume pedal. It is a great little volume pedal as well as a wah pedal. A volume pedal can be used to expressively regulate the amount of overdrive you have ... just like turning down your guitar volume cleans up OD ... except with a vol pedal you don't have to use your hand to do it.

Oh ... and when it is on it also acts as a buffer. OMG, more rabbit hole!
Better call in Elmer Fudd! Cwazy wabbits!

Last edited:

MarcV

Blues Junior
15932865567024807338561122440654.jpg uhBasement player rarely gig and will probably stay that way, maybe a few small open mics.
This seems to work for me to have fun with

Two Drives 1st: Fulltone OCD, Boss OS2
Spark boost
Boss DD7 delay.
JamMan Looper

Run one drive at a time. All reviews I've read favor the Boss OS2. I like the OCD better. Fuller sound IMO.

A couple questions for group:
Any beginner intermediate players using multi fx pedals are they worth it if you are not a professional.
I am serious considering getting the BOSS ME 80 just to have some fun with it but not quite sure what it buys me over what I already have.
I like the idea of the expression pedal and the ability to pitch shift

Last edited:

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Pedalboard.jpg My current set up. Of course, it's ever evolving. I change it up all the time. thus half of the pedals on there currently aren't attached (no velcro on the bottom). A couple stay on the board all the time. That would include the tuner and looper. I don't play out, so this is just for fun in my practice room. If was going to actually play out, I would probably remove the looper and maybe add in another overdrive or a second delay pedal or something. Dunlop Crybaby Wah->ModTone Tuner->Visual Sound Route 66 Compressor->Boss BD-2 Blues Driver->MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion->Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phaser (Nano)->Electro Harmonix #1 Echo Digital Delay->Ditto X2 Looper all powered by the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 power brick. This set up changes constantly. Also have an Eleven Rack plugged straight into a little PA with a pair of Alto speakers. Pedalboard is plugged in to my Carvin Vintage 16.

Last edited:

brent

View attachment 11953 My current set up. Of course, it's ever evolving. I change it up all the time. thus half of the pedals on there currently aren't attached (no velcro on the bottom). A couple stay on the board all the time. That would include the tuner and looper. I don't play out, so this is just for fun in my practice room. If was going to actually play out, I would probably remove the looper and maybe add in another overdrive or a second delay pedal or something. Dunlop Crybaby Wah->ModTone Tuner->Visual Sound Route 66 Compressor->Boss BD-2 Blues Driver->MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion->Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phaser (Nano)->Electro Harmonix #1 Echo Digital Delay->Ditto X2 Looper all powered by the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 power brick. This set up changes constantly. Also have an Eleven Rack plugged straight into a little PA with a pair of Alto speakers. Pedalboard is plugged in to my Carvin Vintage 16.
V16.jpg

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
20200627_173201.jpg
My Hybrid Rig:
Line6 g10s >
Dunlop Jr. Volume>
J.Rockett Dude>
Ibanez Tube Screamer>
Hotone Blues
(same as BossBD-2) >
Zoom G5n (mostly for pedals I don't have)

Top left goes to Mustang lll for on/off of Delay and Reverb

brent

I've got 3 Carvin Vintage amps and 2 cabs. All are tweed. Did you do the snakeskin yourself? Looks cool! :Beer:

I did not do the snakeskin myself. Not sure if you ordered your Carvin amps new from the factory, I ordered my Vintage 16 new from them and had the option of about 5-6 different tolex coverings. There was a tweed, western, black, pink, snakeskin, that I recall. Maybe a couple of others. I did also used to own a Nomad. I sold it to a bandmate who really needed a better sounding, louder amp. He was playing with a Peavy solid state amp that just couldn't hang with the other guitar players Fender. The Nomad, however, had no problems hanging with the other guitar amp and cut through he mix nicely. Kind of wish I still had it or the 212 Belaire version.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I did not do the snakeskin myself. Not sure if you ordered your Carvin amps new from the factory, I ordered my Vintage 16 new from them and had the option of about 5-6 different tolex coverings. There was a tweed, western, black, pink, snakeskin, that I recall. Maybe a couple of others. I did also used to own a Nomad. I sold it to a bandmate who really needed a better sounding, louder amp. He was playing with a Peavy solid state amp that just couldn't hang with the other guitar players Fender. The Nomad, however, had no problems hanging with the other guitar amp and cut through he mix nicely. Kind of wish I still had it or the 212 Belaire version.
I got the Vintage 16 and the two cabs from the factory. I got the Vintage 33 and the Nomad used on Ebay. They are all in tweed so they are a matched set. Great working and kick around amps! They always sound great!! :Beer:

brent

I got the Vintage 16 and the two cabs from the factory. I got the Vintage 33 and the Nomad used on Ebay. They are all in tweed so they are a matched set. Great working and kick around amps! They always sound great!! :Beer:

I actually would love to find a matching Nomad or Belaire in the snakeskin tolex. Not likely, though.