Shodai

Blues Junior
math-1569525694.jpg

No, no, no... That's all wrong...

It's not
2√x...
It's
1/2 √x

See? That's where it all goes wrong. Easy mistake. Lots of people make it. Hope this helps clear it up...

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
You could also learn Calculus if you really wanted to.

Begin Rant
These days, the term "calculus" seems to apply to things as simple as adding 2 + 2, especially when politicians are talking about something they don't understand - well, that would be just about everything they talk about. They throw the word around because they think it makes them look superior and more intelligent than those of us who actually have a brain and can think for themselves.
This is an affront to all of us that actually DID learn calculus, and a total insult to those of us that actually did use it to solve some real world problems at some point in time.
End Rant

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
You could also learn Calculus if you really wanted to.

I was referring specifically to the picture immediately preceding my comment.

The seemingly perplexed emoji in front of a blackboard showing some....wait for it.....

Calculus.

If anyone doesn't understand the Calculus being shown on the blackboard they could make the effort to learn it and would then no longer be perplexed.o_O

Same goes for the fretboard.

It takes a bit of concerted effort.

If you really want to understand it, you will.

If you really don't want to, you won't.

It ain't gonna happen just staring at it.

Last edited:

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Hi Lisa, I think Griff may have answered your question in his email posting of June 25 - "It's just the blues..."

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I got in trouble for correcting my teacher multiple times, back then I had an eidetic memory. I didnt learn anything, I just never forgot anything
"Back then" I had a teacher that presented a solution that was obviously wrong. I said you should drop a perpendicular to the vector and he said well that's an "alternate solution". I don't think I had eidedtic memory, just common sense and a BS detector.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I think learning the fretboard and theory is more like a trade school than learning calculus.

A lot of movement out there that college is over-rated

artyman

Fareham UK
I have to confess there are some things I learnt in school that I have never used in the real world, or perhaps my real world doesn't reflect the world that schools imagine.:ROFLMAO:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Hey Paleo........., you sound like my old teacher!!!!!:eek:
That's because I am an old teacher.:)

Old and retired.

My shoe was on the other foot for years.

Anybody wants a rant on education I'll give you a doozy.

How much time you got?

Q: How much is 2 x 3.
A: Hold on a minute. I gotta get out my calculator.

As kids we were told what to learn.

Teachers are told what to teach.

As adults we have choice.

So I'll repeat.

If you want to learn the fretboard, do it.

If you like mysteries, don't.

But then don't fret about it.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
So I'll repeat.

If you want to learn the fretboard, do it.

If you like mysteries, don't.
Now go figure, (too good to leave hanging low) a teacher with a pragmatic outlook on wood and wires.

OK Paleo, you are correct sir! We can stretch 6 stings across a chunk of wood (preferable to me) and tighten them until you achieve something referred to a "concert pitch" (another pit of potential dispute). Now a few simple measurements and we can place a saddle half way along the length of the wood and pound in as many wires as you like (18 to 22 is usually good) along one half, carefully spaced, and viola!

Now we can easily and mathematically "learn" this motha! If you want to limit yourself to our western music system we have a plethora of "rules" that will allow you to learn every possible combination of how every many wires (frets now) you have times how may strings you have that are relevant to that musical system.

I know there are techniques, and shortcuts. I accept that it is achievable. I am amazed and very appreciative that there are those who walk amongst us that truly enjoy this kind of endeavor.

I just checked, one more time, with self. Aint happening! Maybe one day I'll wake up and know it, not likely. That will be the only way. Not why I do this.

Simple minds and bad memories have their reward too! I could mechanically learn this, I may not want it then though. I treasure the joy of discovering how a passage sounds good here, but sublime up there. Why do open strings carry so much tonal power?, and how to use that tastefully. How double stops lead to triads, that can be "little chords" and can be inverted as many times as there are tones present, and where did the melody go? Hard attack (yes left hand) vs soft clamp on the chords and tones, pull offs, hammer ons, slides, and the most "touchy" of all, bends. (I don't get why you "can't bend on an acoustic but you bend two tones on an electric)
The melody? The face and fingerprint of the song. How are you going to weave that into your fingerboard salad, not so that it is technically correct, but moving with emotion and energy.

So Mr. Paleo, I defer to your position, you are correct!

I'm just being a confused romantic with regard to practical matters I guess.

Now, speaking of which. If I was gonna take up teaching how to kiss, now that should be a sure thing. Assuming a human interest class, all we need are two participants. Preferably each will arrive with two lips each. For the purposes of this class, that will suffice. "Kissing Class Here Today" If you want to learn it, do it, if you like mysteries, don't. Oh, I'll go broke on that one.

I love and treasure the process of "discovery", the magic of a "new" sound, the spontaneous chuckle that sometimes comes with an unexpected "bad" sound. On the grand scale, I don't have the large part of my time ahead of me. I can be frustrated with learning, or wander in a magical musical wonderland delighted with surprises along the way.

Of course I practice and study a bit. I said before, I have always been a "study over here - learn over there" kinda guy. Once I accepted that things went better for me, maybe not for my teachers.

I appreciate teachers a whole lot Paleo, thanks for your love of helping others!

Last edited:

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
a teacher with a pragmatic outlook on wood and wires

Great quote.
However, pragmatism is for under achievers. ;)
There is so much more about discovery than common sense.
A practical, common sense approach is usually the quickest way to get a job done, and sometimes the best way. Sadly, guitar will never be a job for me.
Even if pragmatism is the best, shortest new route to the West Indies, just going where the wind blows you can lead to incredible discoveries...eventually. :)

Edited, 'cause I have the subtlety of a jackhammer when I'm trying to be funny.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
by way of clarification: As our language is prone to terms with multiple meanings, I used pragmatic to mean literally "dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations." and as such was not intended to carry any negative connotation.:D:D:D

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
by way of clarification: As our language is prone to terms with multiple meanings, I used pragmatic to mean literally "dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations." and as such was not intended to carry any negative connotation.:D:D:D

Well put Elwood. I had a little fun with the term and ran with it. By trying to point out the positive of the converse, I didn't mean to negate the positive meaning of the adjective.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
When does the fretboard...stop being a mystery? Is it when ~every~ note is memorized?

Just a reminder what the original post was.

And that my comments were regarding memorizing said notes on the fretboard.

I made no reference to actually playing or unlocking the "mystery" or "art" or music.

Nor did I advocate for or against any approach to doing so.

The horse and I have been beaten to death.

But if you want help memorizing the notes are on the fretboard, Griff has a handy little exercise that'll help you do just that.

But first you gotta know where they are.

And you can kiss me "Goodbye".

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
The horse and I have been beaten to death.
What horse? o_OYou mean I missed something? :eek: I know one teacher in The Bronx that had his glasses broken right off his face, but he was stopping one. :notworthy: Your right and I'm lazy or I'd know more. :thumbup: And, somewhere, probably hanging with you guys, I seem to maybe have picked up more than I think sometimes. :whistle: I get that lost feeling on the banjo and I realize it's easier to carry on, once you kinda know where to go, no matter how you figured it out. And, you figure it out better faster, with a systematic approach. :p:p:p

So nanny nanny boo boo, I'll still be stubborn.:D:D:D

Yeah @Paleo what OG said, sorry man!

Last edited: