Hmmmm, Snark question

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
My wife bought me a new Snark on my Birthday, My question is this . The new Snark seems to have a greater tuning position. Than my earlier one. So is the new one as accurate as the old one, Asking for a friend.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Greater tuning position = greater tuning precision = greater tuning power. At least that's what I'd imagine the marketing geniuses would tell you.

I'm with Triple T on this one. Heck if I know!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
think (and that's all it is, my worthless opinion) that it eliminates the worrying over 1 cent or two. To me, that's less accurate, but maybe still worth it. Easy test..
Tune a string out by one or two cents with another tuner (A pedal or even your phone) then your new tuner and see what it says.
I'd be interested in hearing your answer.

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
I'm with all above. My guess is it's gone thru QC so it should be as accurate as the old one. Happy birthday (y):Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
My 2 cents,
For 90% of us, a slight variance shouldn't be a concern.
If you can't detect the difference with you ears, play on!

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Well I haven't tested the new Snark against another tuner. Because I packed the other tuner and on't unpack until July the 4th when we move to Okotoks. Packing really takes time especially down seizing. I can agree that it may be a matter of the new Snark showing "in tune" as long as the string is within a couple of cents. For sure I would not hear the difference. I strum a chord after tuning and if it sounds OK I leave it. Anyway, after the move I will investigate this further.

ronico

rainyislandblues
Never worried about Snarks accuracy so much but have snapped heads off a couple of times and also same problem with a couple of other plastic brands. Have been using a TC Polytune clipon for about 6 years now on everything whether it has an onboard tuner or not and they are reliable and bulletproof. Pricey but worth it in the long run YMMV

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I have had a couple of Snark heads break off too. It's a weak spot in the Snark... However, I got a tip from Cowboy [i believe] to take a cable tie and put it around the piece the Snark head sits in to strengthen that area. Since doing that I have not had a head break off.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I will look into the cable tie solution for sure.

Now I have no idea why I am intrigues by the new Snark, but I am, (might be from isolating for so long. LOL). So today I got out my Martin acoustic which has a tuner built in. Tuned the Martin, compared the results with the new Snark. Much to my surprise and delight after I tuned the Martin with the built in tuner I checked with the new Snark. Identical , no need to adjust any string from the Martin tuner.

However, since the Martin was in tune, the temp high, the sun out, beer cold......time to play guitar for a couple of hours.