National Onion Rings Day

jmin

Student Of The Blues
So that’s what all the fireworks are for!
What can I say? :eek:
Tom
Well, you could say:
The exact origins of deep-fried onion rings are unknown, but a recipe for onions that are dipped in milk then dredged in flour and deep-fried, appeared in a 1933 advertisement for Crisco in The New York Times Magazine.[1]

A recipe for French Fried Onions may have appeared in the Middletown, New York Daily Times on 13 January 1910. It does not claim to be the originator of the recipe.[2]

One claimant to the invention of the onion ring is the Kirby's Pig Stand restaurant chain, founded in Oak Cliff, Texas, in the early 1920s. The once-thriving chain, whose heyday in the 1940s saw over 100 locations across the United States, also claims to be the originator of Texas toast.[3]

..or something like that - in your great Tom story-telling style!

ronico

rainyislandblues
:eek:Thanks guys! I was just thinking how interesting this was and thinking about trying out a recipe but then realized I very badly want some NOW!!!:eek:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
:eek:Thanks guys! I was just thinking how interesting this was and thinking about trying out a recipe but then realized I very badly want some NOW!!!:eek:
Me too, but I want scratch made ones. I hate the breading on most of the frozen in a bag brands. My mom used to make some that were absolutely awesome, but they were a rarity due to my father's inability to gracefully deal with fried food.

ronico

rainyislandblues
I think using panko crumbs might work,pan-fried in olive oil. And maybe not the heartstopper that deep-frying in Crisco may be. Or baking. Darn that SVT for bringing this up! It's obviously not gonna go away without treatment!:(:giggle:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
You guys are Kill'n me.
images

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
my father's inability to gracefully deal with fried food.

yeah, my grandmother would threaten to stab with a fork any errant hand reaching across the table. We all learned to treat the table gracefully - ask and you will receive.

The hardest thing about doing onion rings at home is getting a-hold of those cylindrical onions that the fast-food chains seem to be able to get.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Dangit! Of all the posts I had to read at the end of the day just before leaving to go home for dinner, it had to be this one.