Guitars / Joint Pain / Voltaren

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Voltaren (for arthritis)...........I don't recommend many products, but this one I am leaning too. It's $9.97 at Walmart (and a little goes a real long way)

As a guitar player, I need my hands, and, the arthritis with the shoulder injury really hurts my speed and dexterity, there are days I can barely hit notes properly, I get sloppy and miss, and end up not practicing for a few days. Even some of the jams, I end up sitting because my hand can't do anymore

Plus, there are days 15 minutes of practice, and I am done, give it up, ship has sailed. Started using small amounts of this gel a week ago, been on vacation a week, and I have put in 4 hours of focused practice a day (4 one hour slots at a time). One in the morning, two afternoon, and one at night (not like I can go anywhere)

Yeah, I tried the stretch before playing, done the hot water warm up, ice in between practices, but still lived with a ton of pain and splinting gloves at night for my fretting thumb.............it was a slight band aid

This stuff, takes a few days according to the instructions to work (2 for me), and there is a noticeable difference. MY fretting thumb went from sharp pains if I grabbed something, to a slight dull ache at the joint
At least in the first week, I am liking this and have some high hopes. From my understanding, it is the same as the Meloxican I take daily, a non-steroidal NASID or something like that, but, more targeted as I rub it on where the issue is

No, I do not rep the company, no I have nothing to do with them other than a customer at this point, and no I am not qualified to give medical advice on any joint treatment

I am only sharing what seems to be working for me at this moment as I know others my deal with the same issue, and I get how frustrating it is when you really want to play and cant............but as always YMMV.

For the cheap price, it may become a new standing piece of gear in my bag, but of course, if you have any medical conditions, take the appropriate steps with your doctor, I can only tell you I am very happy with it right now

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Yes I have tried it and it helps however it messes with my blood thinners and my wifes as well

Peace
I have heard people with heart conditions have an issue with it too.........which sucks, I know all too well the pain of wanting to play and not being able too, hopefully they will expand on it for one you can use

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Back about 25 years ago I had some slight pain in finger joints and knees. Started taking Glucosamine, which fixed that in a few months and I've been taking it daily ever since. I know one guy who said it upset his stomach, so he stopped taking it, but that's the only negative I've ever heard.
And I haven't had any joint pain at all since then.

BigMike

Blues Oldie
My wife( and chiropractor) swears by Turmeric for joint pain? Not there yet but I do feel the twinges after playing for a prolonged spell.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Glucosamine been using it for 15 years. Helps the right knee as i pretend i can still run.

I will have to check out sd’s suggestion.

Boysie

Just for fun
Voltaren (for arthritis)...........I don't recommend many products, but this one I am leaning too. It's $9.97 at Walmart (and a little goes a real long way)

As a guitar player, I need my hands, and, the arthritis with the shoulder injury really hurts my speed and dexterity, there are days I can barely hit notes properly, I get sloppy and miss, and end up not practicing for a few days. Even some of the jams, I end up sitting because my hand can't do anymore

Plus, there are days 15 minutes of practice, and I am done, give it up, ship has sailed. Started using small amounts of this gel a week ago, been on vacation a week, and I have put in 4 hours of focused practice a day (4 one hour slots at a time). One in the morning, two afternoon, and one at night (not like I can go anywhere)

Yeah, I tried the stretch before playing, done the hot water warm up, ice in between practices, but still lived with a ton of pain and splinting gloves at night for my fretting thumb.............it was a slight band aid

This stuff, takes a few days according to the instructions to work (2 for me), and there is a noticeable difference. MY fretting thumb went from sharp pains if I grabbed something, to a slight dull ache at the joint
At least in the first week, I am liking this and have some high hopes. From my understanding, it is the same as the Meloxican I take daily, a non-steroidal NASID or something like that, but, more targeted as I rub it on where the issue is

No, I do not rep the company, no I have nothing to do with them other than a customer at this point, and no I am not qualified to give medical advice on any joint treatment

I am only sharing what seems to be working for me at this moment as I know others my deal with the same issue, and I get how frustrating it is when you really want to play and cant............but as always YMMV.

For the cheap price, it may become a new standing piece of gear in my bag, but of course, if you have any medical conditions, take the appropriate steps with your doctor, I can only tell you I am very happy with it right now

You're very lucky, I have tried all the current medications and none have worked for me. I hope that it keeps working for you. I can last 10 to 15 minutes before it hurts too much and a little bit longer on my ukulele, so I have many short practices during the day, usually when the ads come on the tv. I have my guitar and uke sitting next to my recliner within arm's reach

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
You're very lucky, I have tried all the current medications and none have worked for me. I hope that it keeps working for you. I can last 10 to 15 minutes before it hurts too much and a little bit longer on my ukulele, so I have many short practices during the day, usually when the ads come on the tv. I have my guitar and uke sitting next to my recliner within arm's reach

sorry to hear that,so far, its helping..............so hoping for the best

ronico

rainyislandblues
I've had some relief in the past with Voltaren but it's not the cure. Usually got some in stock though. It was recommended to me by a pharmacist as a good topical

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I tried Glucosamine, didn't seem to help much to me, maybe I didn't take it long enough. Tried it for two months and no relief, maybe I gave up too soon?