Name This Chord

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I've been working through the this rhythm video from Griff's 52 Rhythm Fills and Variations. Griff is playing a slow blues in G. He is on the IV chord (C). It looks like A# (or just muting), D, E and C. I have gone stupid and can't figure out what C chord phrasing this is....Thanks.
Screenshot (118).png

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
C9

b7 in the bass, no 5th, root on top

Call that A# a Bb.:sneaky:

Root position: C - E - (G) - Bb - D

Rearranged (inverted) from the 4th to 1st string:

Bb - D - E - C ---------> b7 - 9 - 3 - 1

Griff uses this voicing for an E9 in "Texas Hideout" as did Freddie King in "Hideaway".

He also uses it in a ABGU song, but I can remember which one off the top of my head.:)

Which lesson is that in 52 Rhythm Fills? I gotta keep track of these things.:whistle:

Last edited:

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Paleo to the rescue....again. Thanks! It's from Section 4: Everything But The Kitchen Sink. I actually
saw a recording posted from a BGU brother on Facebook. I have been trying to work my way through it as Griff throws in a ton of little chords. This chord totally stopped me in my tracks. I appreciate your help Paleo.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Cmaj7 (b5)

Cmaj7(b5) would be:

C - E - Gb - B = 1 - 3 - b5 - 7

Here's part of measure 6 in the 3rd chorus of Example 4.1:

Bb - D - E - C

Measure 6.jpg

In Texas Hideout Griff describes this voicing for the E9 chord as one of his personal favorite chords and also expresses how much he loves in when he uses it "Like Stevie Does It" in ABGU, Lesson 19's "Sweet Little Lady".

E9.jpg

Last edited:

Randy S

Blues Junior
The chord comes from the "little 9", which is built from the "little 7" we all know and love.

He replaces the 5th on the 2nd string with a 3rd by dropping down three frets.

At least for me, a difficult form to play- it get's a little stretchy. I can play it as a C9 but I loose it when I start moving it closer to the nut or if the pace of the song is very fast.

The last shape shown is a good substitution that gets the 3rd in the chord (albeit an octave lower) and drops the root and is considerably easier to play. You will see a lot of the blues teachers out there teach this chord.

See the shapes attached.

Attachments

• 9 Chords.jpg
    9 Chords.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 19