More than one guitar?

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
What are peoples thoughts on playing more than one guitar, at least as a new player?
While I would agree that most of what has been said already is TRUE, I really question how much of it is actually RELEVANT to your situation.
I think this largely depends on what your definition of "new player" is.
If you are a beginner, and learning the names of the notes of each string, and how to tune a guitar, and how to finger basic chords, etc, very little of it is relevant. At this stage, nobody is really playing much that can be considered music, and the nuances that one will come to appreciate later are way in the distance.
By saying "new player", maybe you already know how to play guitar and are new to playing blues? That may be an entirely different situation.
Additional information and context would be helpful in order to get meaningful advice.

Monty

Blues Newbie
While I would agree that most of what has been said already is TRUE, I really question how much of it is actually RELEVANT to your situation.
I think this largely depends on what your definition of "new player" is.
If you are a beginner, and learning the names of the notes of each string, and how to tune a guitar, and how to finger basic chords, etc, very little of it is relevant. At this stage, nobody is really playing much that can be considered music, and the nuances that one will come to appreciate later are way in the distance.
By saying "new player", maybe you already know how to play guitar and are new to playing blues? That may be an entirely different situation.
Additional information and context would be helpful in order to get meaningful advice.
Yes, I should have been more detailed. I would say that I have a working knowledge of the instrument. I can play the basic chords, have a decent handle of the major/minor pentatonic/blues scales and the various "boxes" and can move between them. I am developing a "vocabulary" of licks as well. I am focusing my practice primarily on using the knowledge I have learned to be able to make music vs just practice chords and scales and licks (all of the above can still use a lot of practice though, probably always will ! lol).
The feedback Ive got here makes a lot of sense to me and is in the direction I was leaning-that being to stick with one of my guitars and play that one well, vs switching back and forth, but I was curious as to others thoughts on the subject.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Maybe stick to one when you are learning but it's a good idea to get used to playing a variety of instruments. I had to use a borrowed guitar to finish a gig when mine was broken during a fight. If you can't afford multiple guitars, just pay a visit to your local guitar store once in a while!

LeftyJohn

West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK
What are peoples thoughts on playing more than one guitar, at least as a new player?

As a new(ish) player myself I found it worth trying other guitars - turns out super thin Ibanez neck isn't that comfortable (for me) - so getting a different guitar made playing much less uncomfortable.

There's also a second major benefit (to me at least) of having multiple guitars as a 'beginner' I have one upstairs in my office, one in the lounge and a cheap acoustic I don't mind taking into the garden. Now it's easy to grab a guitar anywhere I am in the house and sneak in 5 minutes of practice. And with three kids and a wife (and work) it gives me far more chance to get some practice in the odd quiet moment.

Regards, John

Monty

Blues Newbie
As a new(ish) player myself I found it worth trying other guitars - turns out super thin Ibanez neck isn't that comfortable (for me) - so getting a different guitar made playing much less uncomfortable.

There's also a second major benefit (to me at least) of having multiple guitars as a 'beginner' I have one upstairs in my office, one in the lounge and a cheap acoustic I don't mind taking into the garden. Now it's easy to grab a guitar anywhere I am in the house and sneak in 5 minutes of practice. And with three kids and a wife (and work) it gives me far more chance to get some practice in the odd quiet moment.

Regards, John
Agreed, I have a bunch of them, and like you spread around the house for the very same reason you state, easy access. most of them I rarely play though. I have one that I like the best and other that I like a little less
I have to say that playing the guitar has not always been the primary reason for purchasing one, there is an aesthetic appeal for me as well. In fact most of the guitars I have I bought before I could even name the strings! lol

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
What is "one guitar"? I don't think I'm familiar with that concept.

Seriously, though, play what you have. Tab Banoit had been playing the same old '72 telecasters for decades, and seems pretty happy about it.
And Jack Pearson! He has played in the Allman brothers! and he probably has a few for altered tunings and slide, but all he ever plays are his inexpensive MIM Strats. He never shows any interest in "better" guitars. I have spoke with him in person and it is as if he doesn't understand the interest in such.

But I go along with but has been said about if a new guitar enthuses you and you play/practice more it's a good investment. It's my excuse anyway.

sloslunas

NM Blues
If that was true you would need 18. One for every duffed hole (or about 140 one for every duffed shot:rolleyes:).

cheers

Al.
If all are broken by the 14th hole...all the better. At that point add up your total score to that point and you should be at or under par for the course. Then mosey over to the 19th hole...belly up to the bar and tell your buddies that you just shot par.

Steve

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I like to have several guitars to get out of a rut, sometimes a little change can be inspiring.

I am in this camp..............

A while back I had to hit the stage with Marty Schwartz, suddenly I had his stratocaster in my hands, no clue which model or year, but the neck felt chunky and the fret spacing was screwing with me.

When I play mine, I tend to gravitate to my different Ibanez guitars, so the feel is very different. If you only care about being good, I would say have one with a thin neck, one with a chunky and different scale lengths.

If your goal is more fun and enjoyment, then the heck with it, there is always room for 50 guitars somewhere in the house

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Personally at your level is where I'd start considering another guitar. I think it's a good idea to have a steel string acoustic, a strat-esque, three single coil type guitar, and a Les Paul style dual humbucker guitar. Maybe you add a Tele style in there too. Those are the major types... everything else is going to get more nuanced. From there you can determine some likes and dislikes, listening to how they sound and whether you want to move further afield in terms of types of pick ups such as P90s or TV Jones, or just other brands of single coil and humbuckers you've currently got. Or maybe you dig players who play hollow or semi-hollow guitars... example Mr. 335 himself, Larry Carlton.

Seriously, if you have the opportunity... once this stay at home stuff is done with and you can go to music stores, or visit friends, and play different guitars what feels good in hand, on your leg, pulled into your body, and strapped on? Get a feel for those types of guitars above, and anything else that strikes your fancy. Manufacturers and quality aren't big issues at this point, because you won't be able to get all that entails

These are all in search of different tones, to be differentiated from the tone imparted by personal technique, still and talent.

Then you can get into the obsession of amps and effects (actually a little bit of this should be coming along with your interest in new (to you) guitars.

Last edited:

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
For me it is about finding that certain sound. In my search, which will probably never end, I find myself
expanding my collection of guitars......amps, pedals...

Rob63

Make It Your Own
What are peoples thoughts on playing more than one guitar, at least as a new player? My thoughts vacillate between sticking with one so as not to add another level of complexity while I learn to play the instrument, and playing a few of them so I develop the ability to adapt to various instruments.

Thoughts?
From my experience, I prefer one for the "single coil" (Fender) sound and one for the meatier "humbucker" (Gibson) sound. You might go through several until you find "the one" that feels like magic in your hands. Or you might be quite content with the one you have whatever it does for you. Visiting music stores can become expensive and addicting! Over the years I have had several guitars but melted my collection down to two electrics and one acoustic. My only advice would be to make sure you are going to make your guitar journey a long one before considering parting with hard earned cash for "dust collectors". One other suggestion would be to put your guitar on a stand where you can easily see it instead of always putting it away in a case. That way you will hopefully be inspired/motivated to pick it up on a regular basis.... you have to make it routine. :)

LeftyJohn

West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK
One other suggestion would be to put your guitar on a stand where you can easily see it instead of always putting it away in a case. That way you will hopefully be inspired/motivated to pick it up on a regular basis.... you have to make it routine. :)

This! Ideally get a stand for each guitar and have them easily to hand - make it easy to pick one up and practice - it's hard enough learning guitar without creating extra friction that comes from having to get the case out, open it and then get yourself setup.