EQ Pedal

Rob63

Make It Your Own
I am considering getting an EQ pedal (Wampler Equator). I am looking for some feedback/recommendations/opinions before I open my wallet. Will an EQ pedal help dial in a "sound" or is it obsolete if you have other pedals like clean boost and compressor?
Thanks, Rob. :)

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
I imagine of EQ pedal would help if all you had before it were pedals that had nothing but a Tone knob. I don't know how much an EQ pedal would help if you had OD pedal in front of it that had Bass-Mids-Treble. Personally, I like to have a 3-band OD pedal as last in my chain to take advantage of EQ'g options.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I didn't find the tone that was in my head until I picked up the Mesa Mark V:35, and the key was the onboard EQ. It went beyond the traditional parametric tone knobs of Treble, Mid, and Bass. It had a very similar effect to an old DOD EQ pedal I had back in the late 80's. I can only imagine that the pedals of today would be far better.

If I had a different amp, and was looking to further shape my tone, I'd personally be looking at the programmable EQ pedal by Source Audio. I'd be seriously considering the 2.0 because it adds a clean boost, runs in true stereo, with the ability to assign different EQ parameters to each side stereo channel. MIDI capable, etc.

Expensive? Yep, at roughly $270 it's almost double that of the Wampler, but imagine being able to get multiple "sounds" out of the same amp/channel, being able to save parameters so that you could switch between amps, and always be able to access the "right" sound, for that amp, without any futzing.

This in no way should imply that the Wampler Equator might not be able to meet your needs. But if you think you might need more...

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
eq's are a great tone shaping tool,,,or even a boost pedal full stop,,,,maybe google "that pedal show" on eq's for some proper advice mate

done it for you

aleclee

Tribe of One
An EQ is an incredibly powerful tool. I find it most useful after drive / distortion pedals or in the FX loop. Sometimes you don’t need it but others it’s indispensable for creating that tone in your head. Some applications:
  • Used after dirt pedals to change the voice
  • Clean boost with specific frequencies emphasized to increase audibility with less overall volume bump
  • Tune out harsh high end or tighten low end

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
I find eq pedals (multi band and parametric) can really fill in areas in the frequency band range when needed. They are great for when you are in a room that causes the amp to sound different than usual and the TMB or TB tone controls on the amp just can't seem to find a very good solution. An eq pedal can really help dial in your amp. I use an Empress Para EQ on 2 of my 3 pedal boards and MXR 10 band EQ on the other. Both designs perform their jobs well. Personally, I prefer the parametric versions. YMMV.

dwparker

Bluesologist
Earthquaker Devices Tone Job v2. It looks simple with only 4 knobs, but it is powerful, plus you can use it to boost or cut your signal. I also prefer its smaller footprint than what most graphic eq's have and it is dead quiet.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I do not have an EQ pedal but, I have an EQ on my RockCrusher Recording unit.

I've seen lots of videos suggesting that an EQ is an essential and often over looked pedal.

perhaps you've seen these

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have never owned an EQ pedal, even during 10 years on the road bar to bar, some of the crappiest acoustics in the country. Always got by just fine. I don't need one to make my OD's sound right because if they don't they are not on my board.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Didn't know Wampler made a dedicated EQ. Makes sense, given how much EQ shaping tends to come with so many of their other pedals.