Anchored pinky for chords & strumming?

PatrickUnderwood

Blues Newbie
Just returned to guitar courtesy of my Grand Cycle of ADHD(TM). :whistle: It's early days.

Griff, you recommend anchoring the picking-hand pinky. I 'm not sure whether you mean just for single note runs, or in general--such as when strumming chords. I'm slowly adjusting to anchoring the pinky on either the pickguard or lower front corner of my Tele bridge, but it keeps sliding away from the neck as I play... and anchoring is pretty much impossible while strumming. Any advice?

steve o

Student Of The Blues
I’m no pro but I think you answered your own question. Anchoring any finger while strumming doesn’t work if you want to keep an even strum and steady time. Anchoring a pinky would be for picking. I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum! Be sure to introduce yourself on the “introduce yourself” page.:)

Rob63

Make It Your Own
Just returned to guitar courtesy of my Grand Cycle of ADHD(TM). :whistle: It's early days.

Griff, you recommend anchoring the picking-hand pinky. I 'm not sure whether you mean just for single note runs, or in general--such as when strumming chords. I'm slowly adjusting to anchoring the pinky on either the pickguard or lower front corner of my Tele bridge, but it keeps sliding away from the neck as I play... and anchoring is pretty much impossible while strumming. Any advice?
Anchoring is for picking. A lot of teachers/methods suggest not anchoring but I think it's a personal preference of touch. I personally feel I have more control of the pick. Also palm muting is a form of anchoring as well since you are anchoring hand across part of the bridge area.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Anchoring is for picking. A lot of teachers/methods suggest not anchoring but I think it's a personal preference of touch. I personally feel I have more control of the pick. Also palm muting is a form of anchoring as well since you are anchoring hand across part of the bridge area.

To which I would add: AMEN! Do what works for you. :)

Tom