Pedals/Effects OK, let the barrage begin ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
OK, let the barrage begin ...

I will weigh in on only one of the 13 ... analog vs digital delay. I am solidly an analog delay guy, just because I like their sound better.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
#1 - I believe the buffer should be at the beginning, not the end of the chain
#2 - Top mounted jacks..........use what fits your board.
#3 - Don't care who invented the full stack
#4 - High end cable better.............Yes, if if High End means High Quality construction.
#5 - Metal bands play with lots of gain................I don't care.
#6 - More Gain = heavy tone..........what the "F" is heavy tone?
#7- Player's tone is in his hands..........Well, it's more than his fingers but, the player is the biggest part of his signature tone.
#8 - Vintage is better..............YES! if you find a good instrument, No! if it just as crappy as a shitty new instrument. Old don't equal good.
#9 - Lower tuning = heavier sound...............I believe the harmonic are effected. Is that heavier?....don't know what that means.
#10- Heavier strings = Fatter tone............it will change the tone in part because it changes how you play and everything effects everything.
#11 - Handwired is better then PCB boards..............Yes, because I paid a lot for that.
#12 - Analog Delay is better then Digital Delay........Yes...if you like it.........No, if you you don't
#13 - Beginning guitarist should start with an acoustic...........BS!

My #14....this guy's opinion has no more validity than mine, he just got more view time and I wasted my time.

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
CaptainMoto, I agree with you almost 100%. Amazing. The only thing where I might disagree is #7. I make a distinct distinction between STYLE and TONE. I believe a player's style is 100% in his/her hands. I believe a player's tone is 100% in his/her gear. If you were to compare someone like Clapton playing the same identical thing on radically different gear, say a Fender Twin on his black Strat and a 5150 on a stock Tele, both times you would recognize it as Clapton, but the tone would be quite different, and what you are recognizing and claiming as "the same" is his style, not his tone.

Your answer to #11 made me laugh. :):):p

Last edited:

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
WOW, 1) wrong! buffer at the beginning not the end.
2) its all about how it fits
3) He got that story completely wrong. The reason for the 8x12 speakers was because four of the Celestions of the day could barely handle 100 watts. Before widespread PA usage, players wanted more powerful amps for bigger venues. The decision by Marshall to use more speakers was out of necessity and not player desire. Yes they split them because of portability.

I stopped listening after that. 2 out of three wrong means why continue?

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
CaptainMoto, I agree with you almost 100%. Amazing. The only thing where I might disagree is #7. I make a distinct distinction between STYLE and TONE. I believe a player's style is 100% in his/her hands. I believe a player's tone is 100% in his/her gear. If you were to compare someone like Clapton playing the same identical thing on radically different gear, say a Fender Twin on his black Strat and a 5150 on a stock Tele, both times you would recognize it as Clapton, but the tone would be quite different, and what you are recognizing and claiming as "the same" is his style, not his tone.

Your answer to #11 made me laugh. :):):p

Right hand technique and execution has a big impact on tone. Playing very light but turned up more will have a different tone than digging in hard but turned down to the same volume level.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Right hand technique and execution has a big impact on tone. Playing very light but turned up more will have a different tone than digging in hard but turned down to the same volume level.
I would agree with that enitrely, and a player's pick dynamics are definitely part of his/her style. And the difference in tone is just how that particular amp responds to those changes in pick attack. A different amp might respond very differently. And if the player happens to kick on a compressor set to heavy compression, it might entirely negate any changes in pick attack.

My playing style sees my pick being constantly rotated between using the pointy end and the shoulder for precisely the reason you mention ... different tonal aspects. But those tonal aspects change amp to amp and pedal to pedal.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I thought we had talked this Tone crap to death a year ago.
If all you want to do is argue about Tone is / is not in the fingers, please just move along. There's nothing to see here.

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Any pastime that relies on our senses can be contentious. Like tasting food, we are all different. Seeing things in art that maybe someone else sees differently. So why should listening to a speaker moving air be any different. It will always cause debate and at the moment, we don't have much else ;)

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I would agree with that enitrely, and a player's pick dynamics are definitely part of his/her style. And the difference in tone is just how that particular amp responds to those changes in pick attack. A different amp might respond very differently. And if the player happens to kick on a compressor set to heavy compression, it might entirely negate any changes in pick attack.

My playing style sees my pick being constantly rotated between using the pointy end and the shoulder for precisely the reason you mention ... different tonal aspects. But those tonal aspects change amp to amp and pedal to pedal.

Still disagree, the pick attack and location etc. impacts the ratio of harmonics which is tone and that has nothing to do with the amp and pedals.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Still disagree, the pick attack and location etc. impacts the ratio of harmonics which is tone and that has nothing to do with the amp and pedals.
Well, again ... switch off your amp and see what all that nifty attack, location, harmonics ratio, etc. gets you. Absolutely nothing unless you're playing an acoustic. With an electric, without the amp, all you have around your neck is a boat anchor. And all those things you mention are part of a player's PERSONAL STYLE, not his tone. Do all those things influence what the amp does? Yes. Do all those things influence ALL amps the same way? NO.

Iheartbacon, you might as well stop copying me and in so doing more or less demanding a response from me. You will NEVER convince me that a player's tone is in his freaking fingers ... or toes ... or belly button, so please just give it up and agree to disagree. If you don't copy me I won't bother responding to it.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I thought we had talked this Tone crap to death a year ago.
If all you want to do is argue about Tone is / is not in the fingers, please just move along. There's nothing to see here.
Spoil sport!!!
This is the kind of comment I'd expect from people who also don't like Professional Wrestling.
:D:ROFLMAO:;):Beer:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Neck...maple or rosewood? Or ebony?
Frets...nickel or stainless?
Strings...light gauge or heavy gauge?
Guitar...Les Paul or Strat?
Amp...Fender or Marshall?
Tone...fingers or gear?
Greatest Player...Stevie or Jimi?
Dinner...Burger or Pizza?
Girls...Ginger or Mary Ann?
Guys...Brad or George?
Can Eric Johnson really tell the difference in what battery is in his pedals?

What do these questions have in common? They're all unanswerable. Except for the one about EJ, and I read somewhere that he actually passed the test on if Duracells were in his pedal or not. May've been a fluke. May've been a bogus article. Either way, that one might have a definitive answer. Oh - also, the correct answer to burger or pizza is chicken fried steak. Just so y'all know. All the rest are...

No hard feelings, Rancid. We both already know we disagree on this one, so I'm just having a little fun. :Beer:

Shodai

Blues Junior
Neck...maple or rosewood? Or ebony?
Frets...nickel or stainless?
Strings...light gauge or heavy gauge?
Guitar...Les Paul or Strat?
Amp...Fender or Marshall?
Tone...fingers or gear?
Greatest Player...Stevie or Jimi?
Dinner...Burger or Pizza?
Girls...Ginger or Mary Ann?
Guys...Brad or George?
Can Eric Johnson really tell the difference in what battery is in his pedals?

What do these questions have in common? They're all unanswerable. Except for the one about EJ, and I read somewhere that he actually passed the test on if Duracells were in his pedal or not. May've been a fluke. May've been a bogus article. Either way, that one might have a definitive answer. Oh - also, the correct answer to burger or pizza is chicken fried steak. Just so y'all know. All the rest are...

No hard feelings, Rancid. We both already know we disagree on this one, so I'm just having a little fun. :Beer:

Oh, I don't know... The Ginger/Mary Ann one seems pretty definitive too...

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I agree it's pointless other than an opinion. And my opinion is that the earth is round. You can believe it's flat if you want. :) Why is it that only a couple two or three people are chiming in here saying it's flat? Why is it that virtually nobody is chiming in here saying it's round? Could it be that 6,000 plus guitar players flat don't give a rip? Apparently. Why aren't there bass / treble / mid controls for your fingers? Why? Why? Why? Do you have the same tone with a booger stuck on your finger as without?

nasa-earth-from-space.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.