Blues jr tone is gone?

ScottyBlues

Blues Newbie
Please help. I have a blues jr tweed I got back in December and now I’m having a hard time getting a good tone. What’s up? Could the tubes be going out? The EL84’s are glowing bright but the 12AX7 aren’t near as bright‍♂️ Will someone help me in the direction I need to go?

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
I don't know how old your amp is but I had a similar experience last summer. I have a Nace amp, just about 5 or 6 years old, I think, and it was seeming to lose some of its sparkle and tone. A simple tube replacement and it was like new again. I had never replaced tubes before but with a bit of advice and encouragement it went fine. If your amp was brand new in December I'm not sure if the tubes could be going already but it's possible.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
A lot of the Blues Jr amps have the bias set way too hot. As a result they eat tubes. Some feel that makes the amp sound better, but I actually prefer an amp on the cool side. The tubes last longer too. In fact I can hear the distortion when an amp is too cold, but once it's set to reduce the crossover distortion, raising the bias even further doesn't really sound any different.

Try to borrow a set of power tubes from another amp. If that fixes it then buy some new tubes, and see about getting the bias reduced. It is a resistor change. Or you could add a bias pot modification to allow it to be adjusted. Of course you need to be able to measure the bias current to do any of this.

ScottyBlues

Blues Newbie
I don't know how old your amp is but I had a similar experience last summer. I have a Nace amp, just about 5 or 6 years old, I think, and it was seeming to lose some of its sparkle and tone. A simple tube replacement and it was like new again. I had never replaced tubes before but with a bit of advice and encouragement it went fine. If your amp was brand new in December I'm not sure if the tubes could be going already but it's possible.
It was brand new but floor model so I don’t know how much use was on it. Do I need to replace preamp tubes, output tubes or all at the same time? And what tubes do y’all recommend?

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
It could be any or none. Best bet would be power tubes, but it would be good to try it with loaner tubes to see if it helps. I hate spending $60 only to find it didn’t help.

I use Tung Sol power tubes. I avoid JJ tubes.

ScottyBlues

Blues Newbie
GC said tubes are not warranted. Said they’re like tires on a car, so a maintenance part. Amazon has a set of JJ Tubes for the blues jr for $61 including all 5 tubes. Good reviews but Capndenny1 why do you avoid JJ’s?
Also I want to thank everyone for all the quick responses.

aleclee

Tribe of One
Some feel that makes the amp sound better, but I actually prefer an amp on the cool side. The tubes last longer too. In fact I can hear the distortion when an amp is too cold, but once it's set to reduce the crossover distortion, raising the bias even further doesn't really sound any different.
So much this! Before I turned to the digital side, I’d bias my amps by ear and then use the meter to check that they weren’t too hot. It was kinda shocking how cold I preferred the sound. There are a lot of misconceptions about the effect of bias on tone. Hotter bias doesn’t necessarily mean the amp will sound warmer or have more gain.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
No need to buy preamp tubes. It was the power tubes that ran too hot. They may have fixed that, I don't know. but if that is the issue then maybe they haven't fixed it.

I like to buy the Preferred Series tubes from The Tube Store. I also like the sound of the Tung Sol power tubes, at least in a Fender amp.

JJ tubes, power tubes at least, just sound flat to me. Like I might as well be playing a solid state amp. JJ tubes are the cheapest ones out there. That alone would make me shy away. But as in all things, if you like them, then you are right and I am wrong about what you like. It may not be a better or worse thing, just a I like it or I don't thing. Your ears may like the way a JJ tube sounds.

But regardless I would try to test it first with a loaner pair of power tubes.

ScottyBlues

Blues Newbie
Went ahead and got a set of JJ’s. When I first started playing I thought it sounded awesome. Sustain was better and sound was pretty fat but the longer I played it seemed the highs sound very bright and cleanly☹️ Maybe I just don’t know how to adjust the amp but pretty disappointed right now.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Did you replace all the tubes or just the power tubes? If you replaced all of them, maybe try your old preamp tubes with the new JJ power tubes.

Clanky would be a good description of how JJ tubes sound to me.

Anytime you make a change like that, it is going to sound different. Give your ears a chance to adjust. Also try to adjust your tone either at the guitar, or with the treble mid bass knobs on the amp.

The fact that it sounds different means you did probably prove the issue was with the tubes. Unless it still sounds the same? But it sounds like it changed the sound, but to another sound you don't like.

I try to stick with tubes I like, not so much that one is better or worse, but more it will have a sound that I am used to, and found pleasant before.

Maybe the tubes will mellow out after few hours use? I know Emminence speakers need some break in. Perhaps JJ tubes need it also?

Maybe you are just hearing the limitations of the Blues Jr amp? It's not a great sounding amp.

When I first got my Egnater Rebel 30 I really had a hard time with it. It was so forward and in my face. Not all dark and subdued like my Fender Princeton. The old fender amps had so much negative feedback to reduce the distortion levels, if really cut back on the dynamics and the frequency response. I had just spent $900 on an amp I didn't like? But I learned I needed to roll off the tone knob on the guitar just a bit. I also needed time for my ear to adapt to the new sound. I noticed there was a lot more of the guitar there with the rebel 30. I learned how much reverb to add in, which was part of it too. And I also learned that if I played subdued, then the sound was also softer. But when I used more attack on the pick, the amp brought it right through to my ears. Not something you are going to get a Princeton to be able to do, no matter how hard you bang on it.

So give it some time, and see if the tubes mellow out, or you find a way to adjust the tone to make it sound better, or maybe your ears just adapt?

My favorite is TungSol power tubes, with an ElectroHarmonix phase inverter tube. I don't know why, but it seems to work. The most important tube after the power tubes is the V1 preamp tube. I really highly recommend the Tube Store Select series 7025.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Most people on here think tone comes from your fingers, so you are wasting your time discussing tubes. That clanky sound of JJ tubes is because you are just playing clanky. :whistle::)

Last edited:

ScottyBlues

Blues Newbie
Did you replace all the tubes or just the power tubes? If you replaced all of them, maybe try your old preamp tubes with the new JJ power tubes.

Anytime you make a change like that, it is going to sound different. Give your ears a chance to adjust. Also try to adjust your tone either at the guitar, or with the treble mid bass knobs on the amp.

The fact that it sounds different means you did probably prove the issue was with the tubes. Unless it still sounds the same? But it sounds like it changed the sound, but to another sound you don't like.

I try to stick with tubes I like, not so much that one is better or worse, but more it will have a sound that I am used to, and found pleasant before.

Maybe the tubes will mellow out after few hours use? I know Emminence speakers need some break in. Perhaps JJ tubes need it also?

Maybe you are just hearing the limitations of the Blues Jr amp? It's not a great sounding amp.

When I first got my Egnater Rebel 30 I really had a hard time with it. It was so forward and in my face. Not all dark and subdued like my Fender Princeton. The old fender amps had so much negative feedback to reduce the distortion levels, if really cut back on the dynamics and the frequency response. I had just spent $900 on an amp I didn't like? But I learned I needed to roll off the tone knob on the guitar just a bit. I also needed time for my ear to adapt to the new sound. I noticed there was a lot more of the guitar there with the rebel 30. I learned how much reverb to add in, which was part of it too. And I also learned that if I played subdued, then the sound was also softer. But when I used more attack on the pick, the amp brought it right through to my ears. Not something you are going to get a Princeton to be able to do, no matter how hard you bang on it.

So give it some time, and see if the tubes mellow out, or you find a way to adjust the tone to make it sound better, or maybe your ears just adapt?

My favorite is TungSol power tubes, with an ElectroHarmonix phase inverter tube. I don't know why, but it seems to work. The most important tube after the power tubes is the V1 preamp tube. I really highly recommend the Tube Store Select series 7025.
Thank you for all your knowledge. Hopefully it will grow on me and warm up.

ScottyBlues

Blues Newbie
Most people on here think tone comes from your fingers, so you are wasting your time discussing tubes. That clanky sound of JJ tubes is because you are just playing clanky. :whistle::)
You’re probably right

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
For what it's worth, I've spent a LOT of money over the years buying tubes and it can be a challenge finding the right tube for a given amp.

It's TOTALLY possible that the JJ's don't sound good to you in that amp, and you probably wouldn't be alone in that assessment (I don't know, I'm just saying.)

I use JJ's in a lot of my amps, and they work well - they usually don't strike me as amazing and I'm never blown away, but they are cost effective and readily available. The Winged C tubes in my old Egnater blew me away, but you can't get them anymore for a reasonable cost.

Other brands might be less expensive by a little bit, that doesn't make them worse, just different. You just never know which ones are going to work for you and your amp, so it's a bit of a crapshoot.

Also, high end is a tricky beast... often the difference between 'clanky' and 'lifeless' is a slight turn of the treble knob.

Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples - if you normally play with a pedalboard or a couple of pedals, have them in place when you test the amp. A little extra cabling and a couple of pedals (or 10) will roll off some high end.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Griff, it’s good to hear your view.

I agree. I tend to bad mouth JJ tubes. They aren’t bad tubes. They are cheap and reliable. They don’t sound bad either. There are better sounding ones, but at a higher cost. Maybe 2x what a set of JJ’s will cost. Of course if you want the best, that means NOS tubes. (New Old Stock). For those the cost is 5-10 times what a set of JJ tubes cost.

Here is an example of what I mean. These are 3 different levels of tubes for a Fender Bassman 100T, a current production all tube bass amp that I have and plan to sell.

https://www.thetubestore.com/shop-b...tion-fender-tube-amps/fender-bassman-100t-amp

I bought the mid priced set of tubes. But for an amp that I am going to sell it doesn’t make sense. So the tubes sit there in a box. If I decide to keep the amp, I may put those tubes in it. If not I have a Twin Reverb that will need tubes once I build a cab for the amp. (Walnut)

I would do an A-B in that amp, but my bass playing is so bad! But at least that would be something we could all agree on!

ScottyBlues

Blues Newbie

And yes I did replace all the tubes.
For what it's worth, I've spent a LOT of money over the years buying tubes and it can be a challenge finding the right tube for a given amp.

It's TOTALLY possible that the JJ's don't sound good to you in that amp, and you probably wouldn't be alone in that assessment (I don't know, I'm just saying.)

I use JJ's in a lot of my amps, and they work well - they usually don't strike me as amazing and I'm never blown away, but they are cost effective and readily available. The Winged C tubes in my old Egnater blew me away, but you can't get them anymore for a reasonable cost.

Other brands might be less expensive by a little bit, that doesn't make them worse, just different. You just never know which ones are going to work for you and your amp, so it's a bit of a crapshoot.

Also, high end is a tricky beast... often the difference between 'clanky' and 'lifeless' is a slight turn of the treble knob.

Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples - if you normally play with a pedalboard or a couple of pedals, have them in place when you test the amp. A little extra cabling and a couple of pedals (or 10) will roll off some high end.
Thank you. Just a newbie. No pedals just straight through the amp. I’ll keep playing with the knobs and see if I can start figuring it out. I really appreciate everyone’s help!