Pedals/Effects So I like the Green Sound

Do you like the green sound?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Oh heck yes!!

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • There is no OD pedal that is greater.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The only pedal on my entire board is a green one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I choose not to vote because my vote isn't worthy of the great green guitar gods.

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've mentioned I have a problem in the past. I just like that TS sound, and pick up its clones when I see them for a decent price. As I was looking at that shelf in the closet last night, I was thinking I need to rein this in and stop buying them. So I laid them out on the floor last night, plugged them up, and, yep, they all sound pretty much the same. Some say that the SD-1 is different, but to my ear its sound fits right in with the rest of them. 10 pedals that do the same thing. I think I've got the green sound covered. Somebody stop me because I just saw a Green Rhino for a good price on Reverb.

the green sound.jpg

sloslunas

NM Blues
I've mentioned I have a problem in the past. I just like that TS sound, and pick up its clones when I see them for a decent price. As I was looking at that shelf in the closet last night, I was thinking I need to rein this in and stop buying them. So I laid them out on the floor last night, plugged them up, and, yep, they all sound pretty much the same. Some say that the SD-1 is different, but to my ear its sound fits right in with the rest of them. 10 pedals that do the same thing. I think I've got the green sound covered. Somebody stop me because I just saw a Green Rhino for a good price on Reverb.

View attachment 11630
You need to quit screwing around and get a TS9-DX...

Steve

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
You need to quit screwing around and get a TS9-DX...

Steve
I've got the plain TS9, and it's a great pedal. All the clones are after the TS808. I'm not sure I could pick one against the other in a blind test, but when I'm looking at them on the floor and playing them, I think the TS9 sounds better. I can't imagine what a TS9 with a turbo boost on it would sound like. I imagine it's gotta be great!

I was telling myself last night that the only other TS style pedal I was going to get was that JHS pedal that has like 10 different TS pedals in it. And then I was going to stop. You're not helping me hold to that. TS9 with a turbo. That just sounds like the next pedal I need I'm going to get. :ROFLMAO:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
The SD-1 clips Asymmetrical as opposed to Symmetrical clipping of the typical TS pedal, it's supposed to be smoother

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I'm building a couple of PedalPCB.com Frost drives which are TS circuits based on the VFE Ice Cream which is a TS circuit, these will have a choice between symmetrical and asymmetrical and no clipping, which is a common modification folks do on TS type pedals

Terry B

Humble student of the blues

View attachment 11630

I have three of the green types in your pic, plus a few others...an essential component of any board, but sometimes one gets carried away. :unsure:

Last edited:

dwparker

Bluesologist
I think the use of green is amp dependent. Scooped Fender black face, green is good, tweed to Marshall, not so good since these amps are mid range heavy to begin with. Your milage may vary...

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Your milage may vary...
My mileage considers Marshall amps totally useless for that very reason. OK, OK, I'm ducking, let the 'maters fly.
I am totally oriented to a clean very "Fendery" amp, and pedals for all OD/Distortion. I have absolutely no use for or interest in multi-effects units, amp modelers or anything with a menu of any kind on it. Others are all over the map on these things, and we are all passionate about it. So if you want to lob tomatoes at me, go ahead, lob away.

Last edited:

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Got a Green Monkey which I gigged for a while. Maybe me but seemed to color the sound even when off. Maybe the buffer. Stayed away from them for a long time but now had the TS Mini which swaps places with the Wampler Klon clone depending on the mood. Prefer the more transparents like my Big Lloyd F-6.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
The most-used pedal on my board is my J Rockett Dude. It is on 99% of the time as a fundamental part of "my signature tone".

I got some white chicken head knobs for mine instead of the stock black pointer knobs on a black body so I can easily see where they are set while standing. The only problem is that when the level control is all the way off, off means off, and it kills my entire signal dead silent. I need to make some kind of black stopper to stop the knob from getting bumped to full-off.
IMG_0584.JPG

Last edited:

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
My favorite "green" pedal is the Keeley Red Dirt. It's basically all of his mods in one pedal. It would be a good one to add to your collection.
I also love a TS in front of a Marshall. But you have to set it differently than if it is in front of a cleaner Fender. With the gain low and and the level up, I find it helps "tighten" up the low end just enough.