Next Level Guitar

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
I consider myself as nearing intermediate level, but to my way of thinking, intermediate and even advanced level players have always something to learn or hone on their guitar playing. Guitar playing has no deadline to learning. There's always something new to learn. Clapton said in an interview that he still practices his bends...That said, this site is aimed at and for guitar players of all levels.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I came across that site probably a year ago I think, and quickly discounted it. My problem with it was this. It took me too long to find where I could get a list of the lessons without registering. I finally found it. Way down at the bottom of the page was a small link for the different levels of lessons. Clicked it and I got a vague list of the lesson titles like "Play Fast Like Joe Satriani." No vid previews. No text descriptions. Just a title of the lesson that didn't really say anything and that was it.

As I recall, if you go with the NLG, it was subscription based with the annual pass being the only way to go. The annual rate was like 1/3 or 1/2 the rate of a monthly pass. I know they gave a trial period, but it seemed more like one of those sites I call hook'em-and-cook'em. They give you a sales pitch, hook you into paying, and then you see that they cooked you because the content isn't quite what you were sold. I may be being unfair to the site and it's really a class act with great content. That's not the feel I get from it though. Admittedly, I never signed up for the trial so I'm making a LOT of assumptions, and because of that, I feel like I need to add this disclaimer: This is totally my opinion based on the lack of content on their home page, and I may be entirely wrong, so take it with the whole shaker of salt and not just a pinch.

For those non-Griff lessons that I want to learn, I usually go to Truefire because i can see what I'm getting a little better. They give a vid preview and a syllabus for the course. And, if I'm patient, I can get it for pretty cheap so long as I wait until their next sale since they seem to have them once a month.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I came across that site probably a year ago I think, and quickly discounted it. My problem with it was this. It took me too long to find where I could get a list of the lessons without registering. I finally found it. Way down at the bottom of the page was a small link for the different levels of lessons. Clicked it and I got a vague list of the lesson titles like "Play Fast Like Joe Satriani." No vid previews. No text descriptions. Just a title of the lesson that didn't really say anything and that was it.

As I recall, if you go with the NLG, it was subscription based with the annual pass being the only way to go. The annual rate was like 1/3 or 1/2 the rate of a monthly pass. I know they gave a trial period, but it seemed more like one of those sites I call hook'em-and-cook'em. They give you a sales pitch, hook you into paying, and then you see that they cooked you because the content isn't quite what you were sold. I may be being unfair to the site and it's really a class act with great content. That's not the feel I get from it though. Admittedly, I never signed up for the trial so I'm making a LOT of assumptions, and because of that, I feel like I need to add this disclaimer: This is totally my opinion based on the lack of content on their home page, and I may be entirely wrong, so take it with the whole shaker of salt and not just a pinch.

For those non-Griff lessons that I want to learn, I usually go to Truefire because i can see what I'm getting a little better. They give a vid preview and a syllabus for the course. And, if I'm patient, I can get it for pretty cheap so long as I wait until their next sale since they seem to have them once a month.
I have a Truefire superscription that renews annually.

NLG is offering $99 lifetime subscription with 1 year money back guarantee. As you said navigation is cumbersome, but appears to be some good lessons in there. Might be worthwhile for a C note.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
A bill is almost what you would spend on dinner and a movie these days, so lifetime access for that price you almost can't go wrong. If they have as many lessons as they say they do, I bet you could find $100 worth of education there.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well good people,
David has fallen way of my radar for some time now.
I guess he's just not my best instructor.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
A while back, I got there 34 songs , full licensed lessons or whatever. Some of them are just flat out wrong when I saw the actual players describe playing them.

There is also a lady that teaches, I just couldnt get anything out of her. I also have the blues lessons, it was a package. I found no teaching of understanding of what you are doing, just do it................these disc's are ones I go too for rut busting only