Another Hack Wasting Bandwidth`

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I've been watching so much live streaming lately, I figured why not? I'm 10 miles out in the country and have no need to go into town, it's been pouring rain for 3 days, so other than barn chores, it's pretty much just me and Mrs. Raptor and the dogs, Annie and Mabel here in the house. So I slapped a bunch of stuff together so I can do livestreams on demand on either Facebook or Youtube. Add that to a whole day's frustration of tweaking and fine tuning to get the audio just right and a 12 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon and what do you end up with? Apparently a 10 minute jam against a backing track, which I snagged off my Facebook page. Geez, I do these all the time just for the hell of it. Who knew that trying to do a 10 minute live solo could be seem like an hour? Who knew there should have been two intermissions during the jam? I don't know if I want to try this again any time soon!

https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/video/GoofinAround.mp4

Elwood

Blues
That was real good and fun! :thumbup: You play a bunch a really nice lines!:thumbup: What in the world is that blue beauty you are playing?

I love that, around 3:30 you stumble, shake it off, and play through. Right there is a video lesson! (I know you know what I mean, you tell folks but it is hard to demonstrate,... and I didn't even suggest that this is the result of lots of...:p)

Audio is great here! Looks/sounds great all around!:Beer::Beer::Beer:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That was real good and fun! :thumbup: You play a bunch a really nice lines!:thumbup: What in the world is that blue beauty you are playing?
I love that, around 3:30 you stumble, shake it off, and play through. Right there is a video lesson! (I know you know what I mean, you tell folks but it is hard to demonstrate,... and I didn't even suggest that this is the result of lots of...:p)
Audio is great here! Looks/sounds great all around!:Beer::Beer::Beer:

Thanks. The biggest challenges I had were to 1). not need headphones and 2). be able to open a mic without feedback problems. Wearing headphones would have eliminated the feedback issue, but I really don't like playing under them.
It's a whole lot different playing on a livestream than even recording video, where if you screw up, you can stop and do it again.

Playing 10 minutes and trying to stay fresh is (for me) really difficult. It probably didn't help that it was also half-past happy hour at home.

That beautiful guitar is my gem. It's my favorite Gibson. It's a Dave Grohl signature DG-335 in Pelham Blue. It was a Christmas present from my youngest son several years ago. It's based on the 60's Trini Lopez signature 335.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Real nice Papa. Some good playing in there Man !!! It looks like 8 guitars including the Trini, 3 keyboards, and 3 mouses!!! I feel really deprived - only 1 guitar (2 counting the acoustic), no keys and a single, lonesome mouse.
BTW, it was WELL past happy hour - your post is time-stamped "Today at 2:58 AM". Just thought I'd throw that in - maybe that's my local, Australia time?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
your post is time-stamped "Today at 2:58 AM". Just thought I'd throw that in - maybe that's my local, Australia time?
Must be. It was around 8PM local time.

Thanks Chris.
Don't feel deprived. I see pictures of members with nicely laid out music rooms and I get jealous. By comparison, my music room looks like a junkyard.
Here's what it looked like before some spare stuff got sorted out to the spare bedroom.
insanity.jpg

artyman

Fareham UK
Really nice PapaR, I must say enjoyed that, I'd be interested to know how you set things up gear and software wise?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Really nice PapaR, I must say enjoyed that, I'd be interested to know how you set things up gear and software wise?
Thank you!
The setup is a bit overblown and could be done much more easily. I had a music source for my backing track, which was a computer, but could have just as easily been any MP3 player. That same computer also was running an Eleven Rack editor, which is what I used for my guitar. The computer and the Eleven Rack went through a mixer. I am using a Presonus StudioLive AR12USB mixer. The stereo output from the mixer went to a Zoom Q8 video camera. It also goes to a pair of powered speakers which I use for my main computer and also in conjunction with an Eleven Rack as my "practice amp."

The Zoom Q8 has XLR inputs and accept the line level signal from the mixer.

The Zoom Q8 is connected to a second computer, which is what actually does the live stream. It's actually relatively simple setup.

I added one more layer of gear, simply because I wanted to be able to add a live microphone without worrying about feedback from the amplified speakers. There is a second mixer that goes between the first mixer and the Zoom Q8. It accepts the actual backing track and guitar as a mixed signal. The microphone is connected to the second mixer. It is not heard in the powered speakers, so there is no problem with feedback. I could have just as easily disabled my powered speakers and used headphones, which would have eliminated the need for the second mixer, but I prefer not wearing headphones and the extra equipment was already sitting here...

In the future, I want to find a better video solution, as the Q8 is a fixed focus and has an extremely wide field of view (160 degrees), which produces a fish-eye view. I have a Sony RX-100 MkIII camera that takes excellent high-definition video, but it doesn't produce a real time signal for live streaming via USB like the Zoom does. It will deliver a live high-def stream via its HDMI output, but I need to acquire a HDMI capture device in order to use it. That may be a future addition to the equipment pile.

The guitar was played through the Eleven Rack with a Super Reverb amp and cabinet emulation, and a little bit of reverb. There was no other signal manipulation of the guitar.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Thank you!
The setup is a bit overblown and could be done much more easily. I had a music source for my backing track, which was a computer, but could have just as easily been any MP3 player. That same computer also was running an Eleven Rack editor, which is what I used for my guitar. The computer and the Eleven Rack went through a mixer. I am using a Presonus StudioLive AR12USB mixer. The stereo output from the mixer went to a Zoom Q8 video camera. It also goes to a pair of powered speakers which I use for my main computer and also in conjunction with an Eleven Rack as my "practice amp."

The Zoom Q8 has XLR inputs and accept the line level signal from the mixer.

The Zoom Q8 is connected to a second computer, which is what actually does the live stream. It's actually relatively simple setup.

I added one more layer of gear, simply because I wanted to be able to add a live microphone without worrying about feedback from the amplified speakers. There is a second mixer that goes between the first mixer and the Zoom Q8. It accepts the actual backing track and guitar as a mixed signal. The microphone is connected to the second mixer. It is not heard in the powered speakers, so there is no problem with feedback. I could have just as easily disabled my powered speakers and used headphones, which would have eliminated the need for the second mixer, but I prefer not wearing headphones and the extra equipment was already sitting here...

In the future, I want to find a better video solution, as the Q8 is a fixed focus and has an extremely wide field of view (160 degrees), which produces a fish-eye view. I have a Sony RX-100 MkIII camera that takes excellent high-definition video, but it doesn't produce a real time signal for live streaming via USB like the Zoom does. It will deliver a live high-def stream via its HDMI output, but I need to acquire a HDMI capture device in order to use it. That may be a future addition to the equipment pile.

The guitar was played through the Eleven Rack with a Super Reverb amp and cabinet emulation, and a little bit of reverb. There was no other signal manipulation of the guitar.

That rundown of what you had to setup just cemented the fact that I will most likely never livestream. Well, that and the fact that I would be too scared to try and play live in front of the 2 or 3 people that would watch:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Still waiting for your accordion version of Freebird! Maybe on your next livestream?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That rundown of what you had to setup just cemented the fact that I will most likely never livestream.
Just prop your smart phone up on the desk in front of you and go for it. It will probably look better and sound just as good!

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Dude, that was sweet! Jamming for over 10 minutes and sounding fresh? I'm sweating after a minute or two. If that. Really well done. Bonus points for the guitar picture, a great studio space, and that pink strap!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Dude, that was sweet! Jamming for over 10 minutes and sounding fresh? I'm sweating after a minute or two. If that. Really well done. Bonus points for the guitar picture, a great studio space, and that pink strap!
Thanks, but at about the 3 minute mark, I was looking at the timeline on the jam track, thinking, "Are we there yet?"
At about 5 minutes, I was trying to figure out a way to kick the plug out of the wall, so I had an excuse for stopping.
When I'm playing at home, I have no problem going on for that long, but I may practice one riff or a few for several minutes of the track. That was a case of biting off more than I could chew and realizing it in front of a dozen or so friends on Facebook, most of whom play better than I do.
That said, I can't wait to do it again with a backing track that's not quite so jazzy.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
That said, I can't wait to do it again with a backing track that's not quite so jazzy.

How about "Born in Chicago" - I was just listening to the first Paul Butterfield Blues Band album and that's a great song with a really NICE groove, and a pretty distinctive riff?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Excellent!
:thumbup::):thumbup:

Thanks for gracing us with your melodic mayhem form the music control center.

When the world reopens, you can head into town and secure a gig at the local Holiday Inn Show Lounge.

Now I need to go back and try to digest your gear breakdown.
:eek:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Excellent!
:thumbup::):thumbup:

Thanks for gracing us with your melodic mayhem form the music control center.

When the world reopens, you can head into town and secure a gig at the local Holiday Inn Show Lounge.

Now I need to go back and try to digest your gear breakdown.
:eek:
Oh boy! A gig at the Armada Room!