Learning songs

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Would it be worth my time to actually learn around 10 popular songs (lyrics,riffs,solo) just to have in my bag for jams if and when I get to one. I'm talking Blues songs of course. I figure I play some on a regular practice schedule then they will become ingrained and I won't be scrambling if I get to an open mic jam. I think I've read somewhere Griff said if you're not learning songs for something specifically then you should better spend time on technique,skill etc. Thoughts?

Last edited:

dwparker

Bluesologist
I personally belive one should always have a song one is working on, no matter how basic the song may be. Afterall, we are supposedly learning to play the guitar to play music, and techniques, scales, whatever are not an end unto themselves but are mastered to serve this outcome.

At least this is how I see it.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yes. You should definitely learn some songs particularly the standards. If you learn he "Feel" of some straight, some shuffle and maybe a Mambo/Samba you should not get thrown.
I'd also suggest that you go to the jam a few times and make a list of the songs that are played and learn or at least be familiar with them too.
There will probably be some overlap and many if not all will be standard I IV V songs.

A big thing to remember is that if you get confused or you get lost, just take a breath and stop playing until you know where you are in the progression. When you are certain, jump back in with "Little chords". If you are overwhelmed when it's your turn to solo, just shake your head. no. Or better still tell them up front that you are new and you may beg off your solo and just want to comp.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Yes. You should definitely learn some songs particularly the standards. If you learn he "Feel" of some straight, some shuffle and maybe a Mambo/Samba you should not get thrown.
I'd also suggest that you go to the jam a few times and make a list of the songs that are played and learn or at least be familiar with them too.
There will probably be some overlap and many if not all will be standard I IV V songs.

A big thing to remember is that if you get confused or you get lost, just take a breath and stop playing until you know where you are in the progression. When you are certain, jump back in with "Little chords". If you are overwhelmed when it's your turn to solo, just shake your head. no. Or better still tell them up front that you are new and you may beg off your solo and just want to comp.
Some great advice here!

Elwood

Blues
I think MIkeS hit it with the "styles" or "feels" in my opinion. The 145 is the most common structure. Rather than learn 10 songs I would learn a bunch of 145 variants. (rock, blues, country, funk, jazz, etc) with different "grooves" (straight, swing, shuffle, etc), at various speeds, major and minor, and then the band can play any song, When you come up to solo, you know a comfortable place to play from in your head, no matter what song. (I would always learn the wrong 10 songs otherwise.) That should get you through most blues 145 situations.
You will pick up some stuff other than 145s, Bo Diddley feel, or Spoonful type stuff that hangs on one chord, just because of all the fun stuff that doesn't fit the 145 anyway. (staying in the "blues" world) Then you can hang, even on uncertain ground. My thought. (and what I'm working on)

Shodai

Blues Junior
Yes, learn songs. Start with a few of the standards, the common workhorses of the Open Blues Jams, but don't stop there.

You can never know too many songs.

The advice about learning a bunch of I IV V is solid advice. Knowing that progression open up a LOT of songs. But also learn some other standards that don't follow I IV V... Stormy Monday?

Then once you know a few, learn a few more.

Practice is great, and it has to be done, but you should get to play some too. And that means some songs.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'll probably never have a reason to be learning a song, because I'll never be in a band or performing for anyone. However, I'm quite certain that if I wasn't learning songs for my own satisfaction, I'd quit altogether.

I do play for others, but I couldn't agree more. For me figuring out & learning new songs is as much (sometimes MORE) fun a playing for people.

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
I do play for others, but I couldn't agree more. For me figuring out & learning new songs is as much (sometimes MORE) fun a playing for people.

In the same boat. And found a way to take it a step further,

I've got one of those Fender GTX modelling amps.... the integration with Fender Play app for songs, and Fender Tone for the amp is incredible, where they can push a preset of a songs guitar tone right through to the amp. It's pretty incredible...

So going beyond learning a song and hoping that it sounds close... their sound file presets nail the tone and make it even more realistic.
I find it both satisfying and motivating to play and learn.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
If you're going to learn some songs, probably include one 8-bar (e.g. Key to the Highway as in the list that Scotty R linked to), just in case.

dwparker

Bluesologist
I'll probably never have a reason to be learning a song, because I'll never be in a band or performing for anyone. However, I'm quite certain that if I wasn't learning songs for my own satisfaction, I'd quit altogether.
With all due respect, I don't understand your first statement about never having a reason to learn a song because you will only ever play for your own enjoyment. From my perspective, the whole point of learning to play an instrument is to play music, and music=songs.

I know there are folks who know a bunch of chords, some licks, scales, etc., but honestly don't know a single song, yet say they can play the guitar. I would politely challenge them to reconsider if they are being honest with themselves about this.

So yes, I think we should all be actively learning songs because in my mind that is the whole point of learning to play an instrument. I know that you realize this because you are learning songs. I just honestly wonder where the notion about whether or not we should be learning songs actually comes from?

Again, no disrespect intended to anyone with these thoughts.

One thing I want add after further thought, I understand that we all need to learn a minimum set of techniques and what have you in order to have the skills to play songs, but once this is accomplished I think one should jump in and start doing this. Maybe after BGU is completed one has the requisite technique to start doing this.

Last edited:

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
With all due respect, I don't understand your first statement about never having a reason to learn a song because you will only ever play for your own enjoyment. From my perspective, the whole point of learning to play an instrument is to play music, and music=songs.
I didn't make myself clear. I put "reason" in italics, because I was referring to the quote above:
I think I've read somewhere Griff said if you're not learning songs for something specifically then you should better spend time on technique,skill etc.
I don't have a "specific reason" for learning any of the songs I do, other than the fact that learning songs is the reason I took up guitar in the first place. I took that quote to mean learning songs that you're going to "perform."

Last edited:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I didn't make myself clear. I put "reason" in italics, because I was referring to the quote above:

I don't have a "specific reason" for learning any of the songs I do, other than the fact that learning songs is the reason I took up guitar in the first place. I took that quote to mean learning songs that you're going to "perform."
You are "performing" any song you play even if it's just an audience of you!

Edit: Just my opinion

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I just took a challange starting last Sunday from an old High School friend...............learn 26 songs in 26 days.

Rules

- I cant already know them (so things like what I like about you are out)
- one song for each letter of the alphabet
- played on an acoustic only
- no solos just rhythm, or rhythm and lyrics
- I can take an electric guitar song and switch it over, and I am allowed to change keys
- and it has to be songs that a beginner can learn in their first 6 months of playing

Him and his son are taking it up and want to play some campfire / backyard while the sister sings type of thing...........

already did

Good Riddance Time of your life - Green day
Sugar Sugar - Archies
I cant help myself (sugar pie honey bunch_)- Kid Rock version
Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
Kids in America - Kim Wilde
Real Wild one - Josie and the Pussycats
Take it easy - Eagles

Its a good distraction from writing and practicing scales to re-motivate, I will probably fail, but that's okay. it's in fun and some new songs to break out at the next jam

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I lurned a song once. Right off hand, I can't remember what it was???

Steve
Sympathy for the Devil?
playing_cowbell.gif