Plectrum choice.

Tayport

Blues Newbie
I have been using the Dunlop Max Grip 1.0 for quite awhile. The small serrations at the top really help.

sloslunas

NM Blues
Okay...so I got 10k invested in the finest gear. And now you are telling me that I have to buy picks??? When does this madness ever end??

Steve

PS. I have also been told that I need to buy new strings for these things???

artyman

Fareham UK
I started out with Fender Mediums then tried a Dunlop 1.5mm and a brief excursion with a Jim Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm, but have come back to the Fender Medium, which seems a reasonable compromise for lead and rhythm work. I do drill a series of small holes in them to provide a better grip.

aleclee

Tribe of One
My pick journey has been a long one with stops including
  1. Dunlop nylon
  2. Sharkfin
  3. Hot Licks copper picks
  4. Fender Medium
  5. Butterfly Picks
  6. V-Picks
  7. Stone
  8. Wood
These days, I find myself using Chicken Picks for bass and recording rhythm tracks, small triangle 1.5mm Primetone for the rest.

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
I had trouble keeping picks in the right position between my thumb and index finger; they always rotated and eventually I would lose the grip. I recently tried Dunlop Max-grip with great results. They have a raised pattern on both sides of the pick which prevents it from moving around. I use .88 size but they have other thicknesses to suit your needs.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I had trouble keeping picks in the right position between my thumb and index finger; they always rotated and eventually I would lose the grip...
I must have had a similar problem when I was younger, because I developed the (bad) habit of holding it with two fingers and the thumb. It’s never really bothered me, but Griff said “bad!” I’ve been using Fender or Dunlop 351 x-heavy for years. I’m now trying the smaller jazz lll to see if I can break a bad habit...so far it’s not working :(.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Okay...so I got 10k invested in the finest gear. And now you are telling me that I have to buy picks??? When does this madness ever end??

Steve

PS. I have also been told that I need to buy new strings for these things???

I hate to be the one to have to tell ya Steve, but you're gonna also have to buy a wire thingy with connectors on both ends to connect the guitar to the amp if you want to make it louder. Sorry. It just never ends.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I must have had a similar problem when I was younger, because I developed the (bad) habit of holding it with two fingers and the thumb. It’s never really bothered me, but Griff said “bad!” I’ve been using Fender or Dunlop 351 x-heavy for years. I’m now trying the smaller jazz lll to see if I can break a bad habit...so far it’s not working :(.
Me too, and to me, "bad" is when my pick becomes unmanageable and often goes flying across the room, which is exactly what happens if I try to hold it between my thumb and index finger. In my 50+ years of playing I have developed a "pick-holding-style" that sees my pick constantly rotating ... deliberately ... sometimes using the pointy end, sometimes the shoulder because the two have different tone and one works well for rhythm and the other does not. Ever try to deliberately rotate your pick with just your thumb and index? It ain't gonna happen. I have no intention of changing or even trying to. Sorry, Griff.

Last edited:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Jazz III for everything, strumming, lead and bass. I love them. I also used to use two fingers, but got out of the habit quite quickly once I started Griff's courses.