Plectrum choice.

Doodlebug

Blues Newbie
Hi all,
I’d be interested to find out your choice of plectrums you all use. Which gauge you use for what style and any preferred manufacturers.

Shodai

Blues Junior
I've used the trusty old Fender 351 medium & heavy for quite a long time, but switched to Everly Star Picks a few years back.

They have a multipoint star punched out of the middle where you grip it, the edges catch the fatty parts of the pad of your finger and thumb so you don't drop them, and they don't turn around in your hand while you're playing.

I bought a variety pack that had all of their different thicknesses, but I generally lean towards the blue 1.0 mm or the purple 1.14 mm.
shopping.jpeg

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
For electric I mostly use any of these: Hell Picks super-black 2mm, Dunlop Gator 1.14mm & 1.5mm, Dunlop Primetone "sculpted" 1.3mm. I also have a few different kinds of Jazz III picks (nylon, carbon, ultex, Primetone) that I sometimes use.

For acoustic I usually use either 1mm Hell Picks or 1.14mm Gator picks.

picks2.jpg

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I've found my way to the Dunlop Gator 1.14mm as my preferred weapon. Right now I'm using a pick that was given as swag at a BGU Live event. I'm not sure which one, because the lettering is worn off, but it looks like a faint image of the state of Texas in the middle. Been using it for months.
DSC00017-BGUPick.jpg

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Gibson XH. Currently on both electric and acoustic. However I am not happy with the tone on my 12 string acoustic. I have experimented with many different picks but can't find one that sounds as good as nails. Anyone know someone who makes picks from human nails and can trade them legally:whistle:

cheers

Al.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I've used a bunch of picks over the years. I liked the brass and steel picks until I noticed they were putting little dings on my humbucker pups. I always come back to the 1.0 nylon Dunlop. I'll use the heavier one's two interchangeably. For acoustic I'll use the same pick or the stiff white picks I got at the BGU live festivals......... :Beer:

Doodlebug

Blues Newbie
I've used the trusty old Fender 351 medium & heavy for quite a long time, but switched to Everly Star Picks a few years back.

They have a multipoint star punched out of the middle where you grip it, the edges catch the fatty parts of the pad of your finger and thumb so you don't drop them, and they don't turn around in your hand while you're playing.

I bought a variety pack that had all of their different thicknesses, but I generally lean towards the blue 1.0 mm or the purple 1.14 mm.
View attachment 11594
I like the look of these because i have the problem where the plectrum spins around too

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I use D'Andrea 351 celluloids.

I generally prefer the .71mm (medium) and occasionally use .96mm (heavy).

Pretty basic picks.

But they feel good, play well and only go for about five bucks a dozen.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
My current most used picks are as follws:
#1 - 90% of my playing - V-Pick Medium P 2.75 mm
I like the three points and the flat edges which I use for strumming.

#2 - Alternate to the V-Pick for lead picking only - Dunlap Jazz III 1.38 mm

#3 - Use this for a thinner snappy tone on picking and strumming - Dunlap .50mm

IMG_2385~1.jpg

Last edited:

piebaldpython

Blues Junior

jporzelius

Blues Junior
Jim Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0

They actually made a big improvement in my picking speed and technique (prior to these I was picking way too deep)