Counting: Not All "Ands" and "Uhs" Are Created Equal

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Using the same syllables/symbols ("and"/+ and "uh"/u) for counting subdivisions of both 2 and 3 may be confusing.

When subdividing a beat by 2 the “and” (+) falls exactly half way through the beat: 1 + 2 (1 1/2 2)

Subdividing by 4, the "+" still falls half way, but now there is an “e” at one fourth and an “uh” at three fourths of the beat. 1 e + uh 2 (1 1/4 1/2 3/4 2)

However, when subdividing by 3, we also use "and" and "uh", but “and” will fall one third of the way and “uh” will fall two thirds of the way. 1 + uh 2 (1 1/3 2/3 2)

The same symbols, + and uh, fall at different places when subdividing by 3 than when subdividing by 2 or 4.

Moreover, when "swinging" eighths, instead of saying all 3 counts out loud, 1 + uh, we may stop saying the + and just say the 1 (+) uh.

To make things more confusing, you might hear some people say 1 +, putting the + where the uh goes. 1 (+) +:confused:

1 uh 2 uh 3 uh 4 uh = 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and ("and" at 2/3, not 1/2 as in straight 8ths)

Either way, the point is that the first note is held for 2 counts and the second note gets 1, coming in 2/3 of the way through the beat, i.e. the 1st note gets twice the time value of the second = "metric modulation".

Some people look at this as the + is “delayed” compared to counting straight eighths.

Again, in straight the + is at 1/2 and in swing eighths it is at 2/3, 1/6 of a beat later.

If you were to set all these counts on the same timeline/ruler you would have:

1 e and and uh uh 2, the subdivisions of 8ths and 16ths in red and triplets in blue. (1 1/4 1/3 1/2 2/3 3/4 2)o_O

It's like going back to studying fractions in school.:eek:

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Good explanation!

There is more to playing music than counting, when it comes to keeping time. Counting is important, but then there are the next steps, how to articulate, should you play loudly or softly, start slightly before or after the beat? What is the true note duration?

Music is an expression of language. If you understand or speak more than one language, you will have been exposed to the flavor a language gives to music. You can hear certain pieces of music and know what country or region they came from, even though you may not speak that language.

Famous musicians have mentors, whom you rarely hear about. These are men and women that are expert at some specific type of music. This is especially true in the classical world. In classical music, there are some renditions of a piece more acceptable than others, for a variety of reasons. B. B. King said that "playing the Blues, is like having a conversation". This is where intonation and other factors come in.

There are many elements to music. Counting is basic and so important, then we add the other elements and evoke the emotions of the listeners. Electronic music that has each note equal to a specific duration, beginning and ending on the beat, with the specified note duration, is not too thrilling to listen to.

Notation and counting are so important. They get you "in the ball park", but if you learn the finer points, you are going to "hit a home run"! :) One step at a time! :cool:

Tom

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the explanation. It's clear and understandable; however, in my case the execution is the problem. I need to continually work on it so I don't start playing eighth notes. With continued practice and discipline, eventually I hope it will become second nature. Thanks again.

dwparker

Bluesologist
Counting is important, but then there are the next steps, how to articulate, should you play loudly or softly, start slightly before or after the beat?

This. I think a good way to get started with note articulation is how we practice our scales. We can play a scale legato, staccato, emphasize different beats of the scale, double pick or triple pick targetted notes, etc. These types of exercises are really good at helping one learn to articulate what one is playing.

The next step is to learn to consciously do this in the rest of ones playing. As one becomes familiar with a piece of music, one can see where the music might ebb and flow, where different articulations might be appropriate.

I think the concept of articulation often get's lost in the world of distortion, overdrive and compression. It is my understanding that all the music we hear on spotify, youtube, whatever is always sent to us in a compressed format, so all we have become used to listening to is compressed music in our daily lives. I don't consider this a positive development.

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
This. I think a good way to get started with note articulation is how we practice our scales. We can play a scale legato, staccato, emphasize different beats of the scale, double pick or triple pick targetted notes, etc. These types of exercises are really good at helping one learn to articulate what one is playing.

The next step is to learn to consciously do this in the rest of ones playing. As one becomes familiar with a piece of music, one can see where the music might ebb and flow, where different articulations might be appropriate.

I think the concept of articulation often get's lost in the world of distortion, overdrive and compression. It is my understanding that all the music we hear on spotify, youtube, whatever is always sent to us in a compressed format, so all we have become used to listening to is compressed music in our daily lives. I don't consider this a positive development.
Well stated! :)

I use a series of warm up exercises, that use single, double and triple picking, along with hammer on's and pull off's, bends, slurs, and a number of other techniques. You can do this in about 5 minutes at a minimum, and I do not often spend more than that amount of time doing these warm ups. Then you can move from the sixth to first string, 0 fret to the fifth fret and then walk up from there. Create a warm up routine that employs the techniques you use. Again, do not spend too much time executing these exercises. Besides working as warm ups, they help you to focus on the instrument and then go into your own world! :cool::Beer:

Tom