New to Guitar

WilsonPage

Blues Newbie
Hi Everyone,
Tech question, I purchased a Blackstar ID:Core V2 amp as a starter amp. With a PSR Standard SE

I am trying to work through Griff's Blues Guitar unleashed course.

When I link up the amp to my laptop and incert CD, it will not play sound through the amp using windows media player. (All other media play with no problem)

It works on media sound but once I have changed the sound out put to the amp, the media player freezes and shuts down.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

artyman

Fareham UK
Are you using the headphone out socket from your laptop, a lead from that to the MP3/Line input of the amp should work. Whatever sound your laptop produces from any source should go to the headphone socket.

Welcome by the way from one of the UK mob, a great bunch of folk here with plenty of advice and encouragement. If my advice doesn't work post something in the Gear section and see if anyone else can come up with ideas. (should have bought a Katana ;) )

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum Wilson! I can’t help you with your tech question but I’m sure you will get a lot of answers soon. It’s awesome having you with us!!!:)

Shodai

Blues Junior
Welcome to the Forum!

Wish I could help, but not sure how you're hooking it up. I agree with Artyman, using the headphone out socket from your laptop to the line in on the amp should work Its how I run mp3 into my Line 6.

You've just become a member of an extraordinary group of people, though. There is not a friendlier or more helpful forum for a blues guitarist anywhere on the internet!

Drop by often, join in the conversations. As great as the course materials are (and they are great) you will find a wealth of information (some of it good) and a lot of support and encouragement from the members.

You're going to love it here!

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to an incredibly friendly and supportive group! It sounds as though you may be using a USB interface to the amp? There may be a conflict between the operating system's assigned sound output device versus what is being assigned by the CD software. It looks as though that amp has an MP3 line input. You may get better results plugging the headphone out from the computer into the amp's MP3 input.

One thought, if you are totally new to guitar, you may want to consider Griff's Beginning Blues Guitar course first. It will take you up to exactly the right level to begin the BGU course.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Welcome to the fun! Not a Windows guy but sounds like you're already getting a lot of insight into your issue. :Beer:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Welcome to the Forum Wilson, I don't own a blackstar, so I can't help, but I'm sure there are others here that can.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Welcome to the forum, amigo. Take a look around and join in the fun. Have no idea on your laptop/amp problem.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Welcome to the forum as I see this is your first post.

Isn't this a techie question and should be over in that forum discussion subject?

WilsonPage

Blues Newbie
Welcome to an incredibly friendly and supportive group! It sounds as though you may be using a USB interface to the amp? There may be a conflict between the operating system's assigned sound output device versus what is being assigned by the CD software. It looks as though that amp has an MP3 line input. You may get better results plugging the headphone out from the computer into the amp's MP3 input.

One thought, if you are totally new to guitar, you may want to consider Griff's Beginning Blues Guitar course first. It will take you up to exactly the right level to begin the BGU course.
Hi Not new to guitar new to Griff's course's

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Hi Wilson, welcome to the forum hope you enjoy. I am sure some one here will be able to help you.