Unplugged, acoustic or what ?

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
I guess there is no way around visiting a store and check stuff. Size and volume wise. Fortunately mjguitars, the shop linked by @CaptainMoto in the last reply is not far away from my home.

btw I have no clue about guitar sizes. I took measures from my one (see image):
Body width A : 11,5“
Body width B : 16“
Body length C : 20“
Body thickness at neck D : 4“
Body thickness at bottom E : 4,75“
Overall length : 41,25“
Scale length : 25,25“

Any idea what size or body type this is ?441D3146-E900-4D3A-8DBD-1FFFDE25B854.jpeg

I mainly struggle with body thickness, as an electric guitar player I am simply not used to such a bulky device. And it is loud !

And, browsing the course catalogue, I found the Playing on the Porch course, which sounds exactly stuff I would love to learn, but can‘t find the required level for this course, and it is not listed on the courses and levels pdf...

Shodai

Blues Junior
I actually prefer jumbo's for the big bottom end

I am also a fan of the Jumbo. Just can't beat that room filling sound. I have both six string and a twelve string Jumbo's.

But I do understand that from time to time you want something smaller, like playing around the fire or on the porch. For those times I have a single cut away 000 sized Grand Concert model.

IMG_20200502_084946545_opt.jpg

Smaller sized but still has the rounded shape of a jumbo, as opposed to the more squared of lines of a dreadnaught. Sound is similar, if you like that Jumbo sound.

For smaller acoustics, you definitely have options. I would say that if the picture you posted is the picture in your mind, you may want to go vintage. Still a lot of great instruments from "back in the day". Might get yourself a bargain with some mojo already built in.

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
Go for a nice 00, something like Martin's 15 series. The dread in my opinion is just too big and would be bit uncomfortable due to its size for relaxing "on the porch", enjoying a beverage of you choice and enjoying the music and your guitar. 00's are very comfortable and get the job done. Whatever you decide, have fun!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Looks like the link @Shodai provided will answer some of your questions.

My point of view is this:
Having a grasp of size and specs is a good thing however, it's meaningless unless you play the guitar to understand how that relates to you.

Unfortunately, these days, it's a challenge to get out for any reason, particularly, instrument shopping.
Having said that, in my opinion, you can't select an instrument unless you hold it, play it, hear it.

If you have a full understanding of all guitar specs and how they relate to your personal preference then on-line shopping opens up a world of opportunities.
If you're still in the learning / understanding mode, buying on-line is rarely going to deliver the best guitar for you.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
on-line shopping opens up a world of opportunities.
Well put Moto! Whenever practical I sure prefer to touch the instrument before purchase.

When I picked up my mini, the acoustic room was well stocked with paddleheads. I played between various Martins, Yamaha and a few others. They also had several minis in various woods. It was a joy to have my wife hold the one I bought (it screamed at me early on) while I took my time and tried the others. Can't do that online.

My thinline was such a good price I bought online. I was terrified, there were none around here at the time that were not twice the price. That gave me courage and I bought my slothead from Dave's also. An acoustic, bigger risk, more reward. Plus I got real tired of inquiring about 12 fret guitars only to be "corrected" to 12 string (if you don't know, say so). I have not gone wrong buying online, but I obsess over details before I even get close to ordering. Given a fair choice I would always want to touch and buy as well as support local business. Now I await the arrival of my first "real" banjo, I have a Chinese banjo coming in from Tennessee. You can fit all I know about banjos under a presto tailpiece so I have my fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Any idea what size or body type this is
Peter, This is pretty close to the dimensions of a Grand Auditorium Taylor. The wide waist is typical of a dred. The asymmetrical body depth, I have seen on some makers, I just can't recall which right now.

https://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_by_body_size there are your current Martin dimensions.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/shapes/overview there are your Taylor specs.

I use those two references a lot when oogling and googling. Of course there are tons of makers, and references. For these two common marques, this is definitive.

Good luck!

(I believe hard wood guitars like hog and koa punch way above their weight class. There is something you won't know until you do it with your hands though, long distance love won't help.)

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
If the idea of acquiring some new gear is appealing for its own sake, and you're hankering to play the blues standards on the most authentic gear possible, then by all means find for yourself a nice parlor-style steel-string acoustic guitar - that's the way to go!

However: there is no reason you can't play blues on a dreadnought. This is no doubt a contrarian opinion in this forum (and I don't always practice what I preach...), but I'm kind of in the "simpler is better" camp and I find appealing certain concepts like "run what you brung," "come as you are," and "love the one you're with." So my advice will be to NOT go and buy the new guitar, at least not right away.

You can figure out how to get any sounds you want to come out of that big body (without stuffing rags anywhere) by playing around with what you do with your fingers (on both fretting and picking hands), palm muting, etc.

Last edited:

sloslunas

NM Blues
I found out a long time ago that new acoustic guitars do not sound that great (I don't care what flavor you are looking at). If I were to buy one I would want it to be at least 5-10 years old. They tend to start mellowing out by then and are just beginning to show their true colors. YMMV

Steve

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
[QUOTE="sloslunas, post: 400236, member: 74"]I found out a long time ago that new acoustic guitars do not sound that great (I don't care what flavor you are looking at). If I were to buy one I would want it to be at least 5-10 years old. They tend to start mellowing out by then and are just beginning to show their true colors. YMMV

Steve
[/QUOTE]
So, if I just leave my Epi EJ200 on its stand next to my commode and don't pee on it for 5 - 10 years maybe it'll sound better?

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
A lot of great and helpful advice here.

The main issues I have is not about wanting new, specific or most authentic gear. For me ist is about comfort, simplicity and noise. this rules out the acoustic I got, it is way too bulky and loud for my specific liking. My electric guitars all need an amp or headphones to sound decent. This means cables, setup time and basically more stuff than I would prefer for an easy session on the porch.

tomorrow I might get a chance to check out a parlor size guitar in a shop. They also have semi acoustics, maybe that could be a solution as well, or even a battery powered micro amp like a Blackstar Fly. That would mean a cable again, but at least no headphone and adjustable output.

Last edited:

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
Ok, back from the music store and glad I went there. I had the chance to play two very nice parlor size guitars, an Ibanez and a Sigma. Felt really nice, and when the guy from the store played it for me it sounded very nice as well. And despite the smaller bodies way too loud for my beginner level of playing. I then tested two semi hollow electric guitars. Very nice tone unplugged and about the level I think is acceptable. One was an Epiphone Dot, the other one an Ibanez AS53. Reasonably priced but I still need to start negotiations with the ministry of finance, a.k.a wife. And I tested a battery power amp, the Blackstar Fly. Could be an alternative if my negotiations failed.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Glad you got out.
The problem with the internet machine is, it's easy to think you know something without ever actually experiencing it..
You've always got a better chance of fitting your needs by hold it in you hands and listening.

I like the idea of having the shop guy play it for you.
That's something I've done the last few times I went guitar shopping.
I zeroed in on the style/model I wanted and they all played the same but, each one sounded just a little different.
Having somebody else play allowed me to sit back and focus on what it sounded like vs how it felt or looked.

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
Final Update. It turned out that acoustics are not the solution for me. The feeling is not what I am looking for. Now I went for something different. Bought a small portable amp, powered by a USB powerbank. And a second hand Tele. OK, up to now I need one cable, but I am thinking about an affordable wireless solution. So, this is how my setup looks like :

7418E5DA-E531-449B-BC21-9D026BD63485.jpeg

Tayport

Blues Newbie
I have a Yamaha APX 500 acoustic electric which has a thinner body and more of a Strat style neck. It is very comfortable to play, not that I do that very well!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Final Update. It turned out that acoustics are not the solution for me. The feeling is not what I am looking for. Now I went for something different. Bought a small portable amp, powered by a USB powerbank. And a second hand Tele. OK, up to now I need one cable, but I am thinking about an affordable wireless solution. So, this is how my setup looks like :

View attachment 11766
Oh-oh. On the road to affliction and addiction now. Too late, you is doomed. :whistle::)

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I found out a long time ago that new acoustic guitars do not sound that great (I don't care what flavor you are looking at). If I were to buy one I would want it to be at least 5-10 years old. They tend to start mellowing out by then and are just beginning to show their true colors. YMMV

Steve
Just be sure it's been played for those 5-10 years and not stuffed in a closet, the wood needs the vibration to settle in and age properly!