Tone caps...

Doodlebug

Blues Newbie
Great job, I love the fact that the paint work is original and has a beautiful patina, I’d keep her the way she is with the deeper scratches.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Shodai - You are doing a super job. I'm enjoying watching your progress. I think you are going to have a really nice strat by the time you are finished.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Well, it's been an interesting afternoon.

I got all the electronics in.
IMG_20200424_172744126.jpg
IMG_20200424_195213737.jpg

As you can see, I put the 5 way switch in backwards. I ended up taking it apart, and rewiring it, with the switch in correctly. I also took out the grounding wire from the volume pot lug, and just soldered the lug to the case. Also shortened the jumper wire that goes from one end of the switch to the other, and redid the wire between the two tone pots. As you can see in the pic, the insulation got a little burned because I was trying to do it without my glasses and couldn't see a damned thing. So I redid that and it looks a lot better now. Unfortunately, I did not remember to take a picture of all those corrections, so you don't get to see the final wiring job.

Last edited:

Shodai

Blues Junior
Once it was back together I found a couple more issues. The neck was bowed. Like a lot. It took 1 1/4 turns of the truss rod to get it back to where it should be. It's good now, but, still couldn't get the string height below 6/64

IMG_20200425_153939459.jpg

With the neck straight I found that the bass side bridge post bottomed out a lot shallower than the treble side, so...
Found out that there was a serious collection of gunk at the bottom of the hole, and the bridge post ferrule was rusted... a lot.
IMG_20200426_083942493.jpg

So, I cleaned it with a dental pick, some narrow wire brushes, and some gun cleaning products that I use to deal with rusty bits on guns that I work on. Took out about 1/8 inch of gunk from the bottom of the hole - dirt, rust, lint, just disgusting. To be sure, I did both sides.

IMG_20200426_085643604.jpg

Just wanted to point out that the screw wasn;t just cleaned and I took a pic. That is after threading it all the way in, and back out again. It's clean. Lubricated with some gun oil, and it works great now. Perfect 4/64 string height.
IMG_20200427_103119054.jpg

Shodai

Blues Junior
Put it all back together, adjusted the intonation, adjusted the floating bridge,

IMG_20200427_103422813.jpg

Perfect. Played a bit to stretch the strings, get them settled in, locked the nut, made final adjustments with the micro tuners, and it's holing pitch. Ran it through the amp. Sound like a strat. Imaging that.

Shodai

Blues Junior
And... here it is. A vintage classic stratocaster, saved from the dump heap, and restored to a useful life:

IMG_20200425_153020739.jpg

Here it is next to my other '85 MIJ:

IMG_20200426_130809768.jpg

Restored one is on the left, with a black switch tip. The tip I ordered fits the narrower import switches, and didn't fit the CRL that I put in. But it's on the way, and I'll post a last and final when it gets here.

Overall, I'm very happy with this restoration. It's not all original, so a purist collector might snub their nose, but for me I think it's be a great blues machine!

Jay Dee

Blues addicted
Nice Job!! I love working on guitars and can appreciate your skills! You do it a lot faster, That would be a month in my "shop".
Thanks for posting this project (y)

CVTOT

Blues Newbie
I thoroughly enjoyed the restoration, very informative and a lot of pictures. Thanks very much for sharing. Now, an audio clip is needed. Wish I had, not only the ability but the patience.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Thank you for your very kind words. It was a fun project. I absolutely love the MIJ Contemporary series strats, and especially those with the system one tremolo. So happy to be able to return one to life. Kind of wish I understood the electronics as well as I know that bridge system. Could have saved me from puting in a switch backwards. But, all's well that ends well.

It went a little quicker than it normally would, owing to the working from home situation.

I will be posting audio this weekend.

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
I'm VERY impressed as well as jealous. I wish I had the skills and understanding needed to tackle such a project.
Thoroughly enjoyed the graphic documentation - thanks for sharing this marvelous feat ! (y):Beer:

Shodai

Blues Junior
New knobs and switch tip arrived today. Looks pretty good, I think.

IMG_20200504_183821606_opt.jpg
Considering the mess it was in when it arrived, I'm actually very pleased with how it turned out.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Well, it is done. The restoration is complete, and as promised here is the last and final pic of the completed project, along with a sound sample.
The guitar was recorded without a backing track, and with no effects, so you can hear the guitar as-is, so to speak. It was also recorded without a click track, so some of my timing is a wee bit off, but you get to hear what it sounds like. I recorded 2 tracks; a rhythm part with the neck position pickup, and lead part from the bridge position pickup. Personally, I think it sounds as good as it looks, and definitely sounds a whole lot better than the dude playing it!

last&final_opt.jpg