Ultimate Guitar subscription... worth it?

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I have used UG as a free user for some time now, Every once in a while I get tempted to subscribe to UltimateGuitar.com as a paid subscriber. Thus far I have not done so, mostly do the rumors I have heard regarding bad customer service and difficulty unsubscribing etc.

So now I am once again wondering if it would be a good thing to subscribe to UG... so I ask...

Anyone here using a paid subscription to UG...?
Whatcha think...? Pros... Cons...?

thanks in advance

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I use it, I only subscribed because paypal was an option, with paypal you're in control on subscription renewals, the paid tabs and notated better, I've found a few weren't that accurate, but pleased with over all for the annual rate

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I thought about using PayPal as well. It is easy to manage subscription with PayPal. I used the free access to get the free chord charts. The paid subscription package seems to offer much more and better quality... for the price it seems it would be worthwhile.
I don't know if it is true but i read that UG subscribes to professional music database services that provide them with accurate tab / notation. Including bass, vocal harmonies, backing tracks...
Thanks for your input.

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
I've got the UG app for iPad, and it's good. Bought through Apple so can manage subscription.

Main use case is acoustic strumming songs.
I find it's great at providing chord charts and lyrics for strumming tunes. And I like the interface where the page scrolls automatically, and with a timing adjustment it's easy to match speed of song.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Chris, like everything, it gets down to how much you use it, or will use it , and that will determine its worth to you. I'm finally getting to a point in my learning that I am starting to learn some songs. As you know UG has tabs that, as you described, "offer much more and better quality." They offer what they call "Pro" tabs that are "Official version created by UG Guitar Team. Includes chords with lyrics, and interactive tab synchronized with backing tracks". I don't know if they subscribe to the music database services, like you said, or if their team transcribes them. But I have to believe they are much more accurate than the volunteered ones from other members. For that reason I went with the paid subscription.

There are a couple Santana songs I'm about to tackle. I want accurate tabs for those. It's hard enough to learn without making it more difficult with inaccurate tabs!:rolleyes: And I use UG to study songs for my weekly jam. Most of that is just strumming but still I've been able to find "Official Version" tabs for about every song we've worked.

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
Once I learned how to use the UG pro tabs - loop/slow down etc and selecting the instrument - find it very useful and will continue to subscribe. Cancelled my Chordify subscription though.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Ron, I agree it seems like a good source for good transcriptions. I also like the idea of having the bass, vocal and backup vocals transcribed... I may yet jump in.
Hope you enjoy UG and learn lots of Santana!!!

ervjohns

Blues Junior
I have been using Guitar Instructer.com for the last several years. It has fully licensed TAB for all kinds of songs, along with some video lessons and also chord and lyric sheets. It costs $99/ year but I find it very worthwhile. YMMV