NEO Speaker Anyone..?

Doug E.

Blues Newbie
Anyone using a NEO speaker in a 1x12 and actually happy with it..? Building a 1x12 cab and like the idea of saving weight but I really have not heard one online that I enjoy... Hearing one in person is not an option these days...
Thanks for your input... CHEERS..!

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I've used the neo Eminence in my Fender Twin. Not a 1x12, but a 2x12, but I think it sounds great. It's the "Lil Texas", which is the neo version of the Texas Heat.

Doug E.

Blues Newbie
I've used the neo Eminence in my Fender Twin. Not a 1x12, but a 2x12, but I think it sounds great. It's the "Lil Texas", which is the neo version of the Texas Heat.
With a 2x12 that probably was noticeable weight difference... Thanks for the reply..!

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
yes got a couple of vox neodogs celestion made in a 212,,,weigh next to nothing,,,,obviously lots off different ones out there tonally

Norfolk Bill

Thanks... Are you happy with them..? cheers
yes certainly do the job,,,got a couple of greenbacks and an eminence wizard in other cabs,,the neos are no worse,,,the vox neo's are based on the celestion century vintage , for reference

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
One of my customers said they don't have the oomph. But it sounds like old guitar player tales, like needing a standby switch, or that USA quality is best, ... etc

I think they sound great.I think the design of the speaker is what matters, not just what the magnet is made from.

Twin Reverb is 64 pounds, lil Texas is 4.1 lbs, Texas Heat is 8.3 lbs.

So using them saves 16.6-8.2 = 8.4 lbs.

Take that off the 64 - 8.4 = 55.6 lbs. Assuming the stock speakers are the same weight as the Texas heat, but I would replace them anyway.

8 pounds doesn't sound like much, but it might be the difference between being heavy, and being too heavy.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Anyone using a NEO speaker in a 1x12 and actually happy with it..? Building a 1x12 cab and like the idea of saving weight but I really have not heard one online that I enjoy... Hearing one in person is not an option these days...
Thanks for your input... CHEERS..!
I bought a Celestion BN12-300S & a very light Hartley Benton cab from Thomann for that very reason.
I'm using it with my Quilter Pro Block 200 and I love it.

Norfolk Bill

One of my customers said they don't have the oomph. But it sounds like old guitar player tales, like needing a standby switch, or that USA quality is best, ... etc

I think they sound great.I think the design of the speaker is what matters, not just what the magnet is made from.

Twin Reverb is 64 pounds, lil Texas is 4.1 lbs, Texas Heat is 8.3 lbs.

So using them saves 16.6-8.2 = 8.4 lbs.

Take that off the 64 - 8.4 = 55.6 lbs. Assuming the stock speakers are the same weight as the Texas heat, but I would replace them anyway.

8 pounds doesn't sound like much, but it might be the difference between being heavy, and being too heavy.

all depends on the efficiency,,,a celestion cetury ,,which they no longer make,,put out 103db

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I use the Lil' Texas in an extension cab for my Quilter MicroPro 8. Has a bit of a scooped midrange to give it that Texas blues sound, but pairs up really well with more full range speaker in the MicroPro. Gets louder than you'd ever want.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Here is what Quilter says about their HD Neo speakers. I love the sound of my HD-12 combo, and believe me, volume is not an issue ... it really kicks *ss for such a light little amp!

The ultimate amp for serious headroom in a small package, the HD-12 combo uses yet another Quilter driver cherry-picked from the pro-audio catalog. The Celestion BN12-300s sports a neo magnet and larger voice coil with a 300 watt rating, and provides a cleaner, wider range response than the alternative Classic Lead 80. Combined with its lighter weight, it's perfect for the the jazz or blues player or anyone who loves an EVM-12L type speaker response.

The powerful magnet, cloth suspension, and parabolic cone provide deeper bass and smoother mids, with well controlled highs that wake up when pushed with overdrive. Great for electric and especially hollow body instruments, the HD-12 combo packs a serious punch for players who want to fill the stage with a combo that only weighs 21 pounds. Plays well by itself, or when stacked on the MicroPro Extension Cab.