First Ever Guitar Build

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Long story short. Last year I was given a Squire Strat that wasn't working, and I came on here looking for advice. Dave (BlackCoffeeBlues) offered me a loaded pick guard, totally free of charge, and sent it across the Atlantic for insertion into the Squire. Whilst it was in transit, I got the Squire going, and it is actually quite an amazing sounding guitar.

So, I decided to buy a Strat body & neck and all the accessories for a new build around the pick guard Dave had sent, and with Dave's guidance, and some help on here in Dave's absence, I finally got it finished. And it works!!:eek::eek: The neck is quite chunky compared to the Tele Ultra I've been playing recently but I'm sure I'll get used to it. This is probably no big deal to most of you guitar builders on here, but if you only knew my DIY skills you'd appreciate what an achievement this is for me.:D So a big thank you to Dave, and anyone else who answered my questions along the way.

Here she is:-

DS8_0710.jpg DS8_0711.jpg DS8_0712.jpg

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Congrats on the successful build! I believe that we may share the same DIY skill set, so I can understand your joy in getting this guitar assembled AND working:Beer:. One question, I was thinking about putting some kind of graphic on my tele headstock but wasn’t sure what to use. How did you apply your signature logo?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Long story short. Last year I was given a Squire Strat that wasn't working, and I came on here looking for advice. Dave (BlackCoffeeBlues) offered me a loaded pick guard, totally free of charge, and sent it across the Atlantic for insertion into the Squire. Whilst it was in transit, I got the Squire going, and it is actually quite an amazing sounding guitar.

So, I decided to buy a Strat body & neck and all the accessories for a new build around the pick guard Dave had sent, and with Dave's guidance, and some help on here in Dave's absence, I finally got it finished. And it works!!:eek::eek: The neck is quite chunky compared to the Tele Ultra I've been playing recently but I'm sure I'll get used to it. This is probably no big deal to most of you guitar builders on here, but if you only knew my DIY skills you'd appreciate what an achievement this is for me.:D So a big thank you to Dave, and anyone else who answered my questions along the way.

Here she is:-

View attachment 11238 View attachment 11239 View attachment 11240
Very nice indeed, especially for a first effort! I see the pickups are lipsticks from Guitar Fetish. Do you find them to be a slightly lower output than a standard single coil pickup? I have two strats built using GFS lipsticks and I thoroughly enjoy the clean, chimey sounds I get from them. Have you played this in any of the VJR recordings?

So... what's your next DIY guitar project?

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

How's it sound?
I've a bit of fret buzz that I'll need to sort out, but apart from that it sounds fine. Those lipsticks are bright!!!:cool: BTW Al. Thanks for the heads up at the start of this build, I went with Northwest Guitars for all the parts.(y)

How did you apply your signature logo?
Just what @PapaBear said, waterslide decals ordered from a company in England. Fiddley job, so I'm glad they sent two of everything. :confused:
You do have to apply a lot of coats of lacquer to the headstock though, in order to hide the fact that they are decals.

Have you played this in any of the VJR recordings?
Not yet Papa, just finished it last night. I'll give it a bit of playing time and see if I can eliminate some of the fret buzz. I'll let you know when she makes her debut.(y) I haven't tried it against my Elite Strat, (which has been in it's case since the Texas Tea Tele came along):rolleyes: but I will play them against each other to see if that is the case.:)

VERY VERY nice job! Love the dare to be different lipsticks!
Thanks Jim. They were what Dave sent across the pond as opposed to any inspired choice of mine, but I do think they look cool.(y)

Awesome. Anyone would be proud of that guitar! I often think of doing one and it's guys like you that provide inspiration!
Thank you Chris. Go for it!! I got great inspiration from the guys here to give it a go, and believe me, if I can do it ANYONE can do it!! Don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions if you're not sure of anything. You will get quick responses from some very experienced builders. Even as recently as yesterday (or the day before, I can't remember):ROFLMAO: @PapaRaptor gave me advice on a few questions regarding the wiring. So, get the parts ordered, and we shall await the photos.:)

Loving that natural finish with funky contrasting pickguard. Congratulations.
Thanks Dr Ron. It wasn't my first choice. I was originally going to paint it black, or a silver/deep purple sunburst, but I decided that might be too ambitious for an inexperienced builder, and went with the Tung oil natural look. I did spray about a dozen or more coats of lacquer on the head stock though, and it came out quite well, so maybe next time.:whistle:

Thanks again everyone.(y)(y)