Pedals/Effects what's a good OD?

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Thanks for the input so far! I see some really good ideas here. The ones that catch my eye the quickest are the the Euphoria, The Dude, the Timmy, and the Beano Boost. The Dude and a Timmy have actually been on my list for a while so I may end up with one of those. I mentioned it to Mrs Snarf, and she suggested that I look at a fuzz pedal. I recently picked one of those up, and she likes it a whole lot more than I do. So maybe a Fuzz Face. But fuzz pedals are a whole different rabbit hole.

To answer a couple of questions, I typically am playing through my Blackheart amp, which can be pretty Marshallesque sometimes (despite me saying that I'm not a Marshall guy). When I was looking at the pedals I have last night, I actually pulled my Blues Driver out and started playing with it. I think the reason I have so many of those two types is because I generally have a Klone as a boost running into a TS-type as a drive. That sound has always been really nice to me. But now I'm wondering what else there is. Keep the ideas coming, amigos!

The Beano Boost is actually a Treble Booster based upon the Rangemaster circuit. IMHO much better sounding than the Screaming Bird I have from Electro Harmonix.

And for Fuzz Faces, you have three models to chose from, the red, blue and turquoise (Jimi Hendrix). One is Germanium, one Silicon and the JH I believe is a variation of the two but I could be wrong there...

Stinger22

Blues Junior
The guy that makes them is Brain Wampler's collaborator. One of my best.

There's on on Reverb for $100

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
The guy that makes them is Brain Wampler's collaborator. One of my best.
There's on on Reverb for $100
That Big Lloyd is mighty tasty!

But alas, to work on my board it is imperative that a pedal has all cable jacks (9v, In, Out) on the TOP of the pedal and not on the sides! If you look at my "larger" board you will see that 4 of the 5 pedals in the front row are that way, otherwise they won't fit! The only way to use the Big Lloyd would mean exchanging my Okko for it, and that just isn't going to happen!

Besides, I have way too many pedals already. This is just half of them.
IMG_0643.JPG

Last edited:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I have an Earthquaker Westwood Transparent OD.

Nice pedal.
Unique sound.
Clean and open to medium distortion.
Works very well on its own or combined with my Boss DS1 or, when set up clean, it makes for a great boost pedal.

zwantedone

Blues Newbie
With all this o/d talk, what is the collective opinion on fuzz pedals? Thought I would just throw it out there for discussion. Might just be interested in getting one. You know, help out the economy and all!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
With all this o/d talk, what is the collective opinion on fuzz pedals? Thought I would just throw it out there for discussion. Might just be interested in getting one. You know, help out the economy and all!
I've got 2, but I never really use them. I haven't played with them enough to really learn how to tame them I don't think. I've got the a Wrought Iron Effects Kaiburr Fuzz which I won from the 60 Cycle Hum podcast (supposed to be a really nice one) and a Dano French Toast which is supposed to be a copy of some famous fuzz pedal. I keep waiting for that Behringer Super Fuzz to get back in stock online again so I can grab one of those too. If you buy it new, it's like $25. Mr JHS talked about it one of his podcasts, so they used ones run like $50 or more. So I can wait until it hits shelves again. Like the Dano, it's supposed to be a copy of a famous old one. Other than those, the only one I really have heard of is the Fuzz Face. So I'm a wealth of noninformation when it comes to fuzz pedals. :whistle:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Well, if you're ever jonesing to get your "Floyd" on, a fuzz is required equipment.

I have a Big Muff Pi and though it does the job, it, like many fuzz pedals, can be temperamental. The trick is "small moves" when dialing it in along with some patience.
But once you get it right it adds that touch of sustain and creamy crunch that distortion pedals and gain-stages can't quite offer on their own.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I'm a Big Muff Fan, currently got a couple of others in my build Que, some of which are Muff variants

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Tom, that is an outstanding pedal. You can get just about anything you would ever want or need out of it with just a little tweaking from sound to sound. Do you ever play out ... live, in a jam setting or such? There is a reason I am asking, will get into that later maybe.
I have not played out in some time, but the times they are a changin! ;)

Tom

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have not played out in some time, but the times they are a changin! ;)
Tom
Hey Tom, love Dylan ... and that song in particular is SO relevant today!

Reason I asked, is because the needs / use of a pedal is dramatically different in a live setting. Playing live, often you just don't have time to bend down and mess with a pedal. Pedals on a pedal board are generally set for one sound and never messed with thereafter. That's why my pedal board has four OD pedals on it, any one of which is capable of many different sounds. But each is only used for one sound. I can punch that sound up by just a stomp. Stacking them offers up a wide pallet of different combinations ... all without ever tweaking a single pedal.

I didn't think any pedal on the planet could make me consider swapping out my Okko Diablo for it ... but that Big Lloyd pedal stinger22 put up on here is sorely tempting me. It has a really "gravely" character that I just can't get with my board but its $160.00 price tag is giving me pause.

Last edited:

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
Timmy and/or a KoT. Try and get a PoT. They are easier to come by (no waiting list) and they will give you a great idea of the KoT sound.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
These are among the best pedals I've ever heard. But are expensive, and you have to wait.

Ordered my Jester Custom in June I might have it by Christmas, but the list was two years at one point, so I guess. 6 months ain't too bad.

Last edited: