Playing standing up.

Doodlebug

Blues Newbie
Hi all, I’ve always played sat down and never tried playing standing so thought I’d give it a go. Well what a difference, I felt like a beginner again missing chords and hitting the wrong strings etc. Definitely something I’ve got to work on. Has anyone else found this happens?

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
I too mostly played sitting. When I tried playing standing it was like I never picked up the guitar. In order to get comfortable standing, I usually spent the last 10 minutes or so of my practice sessions standing, just playing some random chords and licks. Overtime it becomes more comfortable. The suggestion by Shodai I also found to be very helpful. Adjust the strap to the level and position of the guitar while sitting, it helps making the position more familiar when standing.

dwparker

Bluesologist
I only play strapped so the guitar is in the same position both standing and sitting. And all my guitars have the strap adjusted so they all hang the same on my body. There are still some differences in feel between standing and sitting, but they are minor. I received advice a few years ago to play 50% standing and the other 50 sitting. I don't always follow it and probably play more sitting, but I see the wisdom in this approach.

artyman

Fareham UK
I'd played standing since I started as I sang as well, however when changing from chordal playing to soloing I was learning sitting down. When the time came to play standing up it felt strange and I also muffed a few times, but persistence pays off and it now seems odd to play sitting down. When I'm trying to learn a new piece it's always sitting until I get it memorised.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I agree that it happens to most of us. I played sitting down 90% of the time until I decided to attend the BGU N.E. Jam a few years ago. Figured it was time to get comfortable playing while standing. It was rough for a while. I could not play chords that were simple to play while sitting. As stated above, getting your strap length to the right length is key. Forget about trying to be Jimmy Page with your guitar hanging down to your knees. Other than that, just start standing while you practice. You may feel as though you are taking a step backwards but just keep with it. It WILL start to get easier and eventually you will not notice any difference standing or sitting. As a matter of fact, now days when I am recording while sitting at the computer and can’t seem to play what I want, many times I stand up and actually find it easier to play. I now stand at least 50% of the time now days.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I have found that using something the height of a bar stool is nice to have around. You're not fully standing, but it's a lot less like sitting than an office/desk height chair and you won't have your leg possibly propping up the guitar. It also forces better posture. It's really hard to slouch on a bar stool. Believe me, I have tried!

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I had the opposite problem, I have a hard time playing sitting down. I use the garage for practice so I am always standing

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
Ever since I started this journey, I've done lessons and drills sitting down, and played songs standing up. I don't know why I started that way, but I did, and as a result I don't notice any difference. At least with the electric. I added the acoustic just this year, and standing is a little more awkward with that. It's harder to keep in a position that's comfortable while standing.

Doodlebug

Blues Newbie
Thanks all,
I’ve took this all on board and adjusted my strap it feels better already though I am fluffing the notes. I’m gonna practice at least 59% standing from now.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Thanks all,
I’ve took this all on board and adjusted my strap it feels better already though I am fluffing the notes. I’m gonna practice at least 59% standing from now.

Its very similar to when I started trying to sing and play at the same time.............at first it was a train wreck, but I wanted to do it so badly

Now, after 18 months of practice, I have made it, I sing and play badly

Actually, its now more of a city bus wreck than a train wreck, so its improved

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
Its very similar to when I started trying to sing and play at the same time.............at first it was a train wreck, but I wanted to do it so badly

Now, after 18 months of practice, I have made it, I sing and play badly

Actually, its now more of a city bus wreck than a train wreck, so its improved
Every time I try to sing while playing, everything goes to hell. I lose the rhythm of my strumming, I miss chord changes completely, I get lost in the melody for the singing, it's a complete disaster.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I find standing whilst playing an acoustic more of a challenge than an electric, maybe I need to try a strap adjustment

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Every time I try to sing while playing, everything goes to hell. I lose the rhythm of my strumming, I miss chord changes completely, I get lost in the melody for the singing, it's a complete disaster.
It took some time, I started with my own song as it was natural for me to get the rhythm, because, well, I wrote the damn thing

Then started singing with it. Now what I do, is make sure I mostly own it before I try to vocalize. While learning the strum I sing in my head............then sing at a low volume, then louder.

It seem the louder vocalization is where it gets hard, and pulls the concentration away

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
When I first started playing to rock-n-roll I always played the electric standing up. I never played the electric sitting down. I played the acoustic sitting. These days of mainly doing the courses in front of the widescreen and also battling sciatica I practice sitting down and occasionally play standing. As I played standing for so many years I find it comfortable and no real challenge to play standing up. Having said that the speed courses are easier to play sitting and when I've got them down it is necessary to practice them standing..... :Beer: