General Question on the timeline of the course

artyman

Fareham UK
I purchased BGU in May of last year and just finished this week. I learned a ton of stuff and it has made a noticeable difference in my playing. I hit a few rough spots and really took my time on the solos, but I couldn’t be happier. I have to decide what course to do next and get myself ready for jam sessions. Definitely worth sticking with it. Best lessons i have ever had!
Time to take a wander down to the Virtual Jam Room at the bottom of the forum, and try out your new skills

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I can't be the only person to start and finish the course page by page? It's been a few years for this course (and many others) and I need to go back and refresh along with the many others. :Beer:

You're not! :cool: I went through it completely as well. It took me about a year and a half working on it pretty much every day or two. I did version 1.0 and really need to go through 2.0. There's a lot I haven't used and subsequently forgotten.

I

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I made it through the whole course in about a liitle over a year. I initially thought it would be about 6 months but not so. I think I wasn't ready so much for the major/minor thing at the time since I really didn't know much theory and still not as much as I should or want. Now I understand it after many courses later. I just have fun and learn what I can now .

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I just bought BGU 2.0 about two weeks ago and am REALLY enjoying it so far. Probably the best product I've seen put together on guitar instruction. I've already made some noticeable progress after getting back into playing 2 months ago following a decade plus layoff.

I have a general question about a good gauge of progress with the program. Obviously, I know everyone is different, but is there a reasonable timeline for progression through various stages of the course if someone is committed to working on it 30-60 minutes a day?

Maybe more specifically for Griff, how long would it take you to teach someone these lessons if giving an individual private instruction?

As an FYI,I feel I'm an average beginner level player.

Kinda related from Griff today...

Wednesday from Griff Hamlin

What do you mean, "finished?"
It's funny how often I'm asked...

"How long should I expect it to take to finish the Blues Guitar Unleashed course?" (or Classic Rock, or Acoustic... insert course name here
1f642.png
:)

But if you spend any time on the forum, you'll see how many people have been through Blues Guitar Unleashed 2, 3, maybe even 4 or 5 times and find something new in it every time they go through.

I have books on my bookshelf that I've had for 30 years and, every once in a while, I crack one open and give them a re-read... and you know what?

You'd be amazed how often I find something new, or at the very least something I missed previously.

But I look at it this way... if I were to take private lessons (or worse, go back to school...) I'd spend tens of thousands of dollars for the information that is contained on my bookshelf (and hard drive)...

And I get to go whenever I want and simply open any of those books or videos up and what was once old is new again.

Right now, if you're like a lot of folks, you have a little extra time on your hands and you may be playing guitar more - that's GREAT!

Don't ignore those lessons or courses that you may have been through before... they can be a treasure trove of new information you missed the first time around.

Talk soon,

Griff

Rad

Blues Newbie
Got Griff’s email about redoing courses this morning and had to laugh. Just yesterday I re-opened BGU 2.0. I burned through a big portion of it in a few hours and was surprised by the number of things I picked up. The other plus, it makes you realize that you in fact have become better. Sometimes it is hard to see that in your own playing.

Geo Greek

Blues Newbie
Question ... I am truly a beginner... a 60 yr old beginner. After heart transplant, I have been relaxing at home, picked up the old guitar that I bought intending to learn about 25-30 yrs ago and decided to learn. Caught some of Griff on YouTube and liked it, l Iearned some and bought the course. Now the question, is this course the right one for me or should I start with more of a beginner course? I can play some basic chords and I am having some fun playing a little (and I mean ,little) bit of some 12 bar blues.....

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Welcome George! Sounds like a good use for a new lease on life. I'll let others give you advice on the which course. I had already been playing a couple of years before I started BGU.

Eric

Geo Greek

Blues Newbie
Welcome George! Sounds like a good use for a new lease on life. I'll let others give you advice on the which course. I had already been playing a couple of years before I started BGU.

Eric
Thanks Jalepeno! Looking forward to livin' and playin' on and on.........

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Question ... I am truly a beginner... a 60 yr old beginner. After heart transplant, I have been relaxing at home, picked up the old guitar that I bought intending to learn about 25-30 yrs ago and decided to learn. Caught some of Griff on YouTube and liked it, l Iearned some and bought the course. Now the question, is this course the right one for me or should I start with more of a beginner course? I can play some basic chords and I am having some fun playing a little (and I mean ,little) bit of some 12 bar blues.....

Welcome to the forum George, it’s awesome having you with us! As far as courses, I originally bought Blues Guitar Unleashed as well. I also was a beginner. I could play/strum the basic “cowboy chords” but wanted to play the blues. I did ok with some the course but to be honest, I struggled. It was just to advanced for me so I decided to buy Griffs “Beginning Blues Guitar” course and that was awesome, it was what I needed. I went through that course and it really gave me the basic skills, background and direction that I needed. After that I went right into Blues Guitar Unleashed and lessons that I struggled with the first go round were so much easier. If you are able to work through the lessons of Blues Guitar Unleashed without getting frustrated, you are good to go and on the right track. If you find that you are feeling like I was (frustrated and over my head), I really recommend getting Griffs Beginning Blues Guitar course. It was a game changer for me. However you move forward, just stick with playing, Griffs courses, practice on a regular basis (hopefully at least a little bit every day) and have FUN, that’s what it’s all about. Also, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to throw them out on this forum. It is full of people with way more knowledge and experience than me that love to help us newbies!

Elio

Student Of The Blues

If you feel as though you are really starting out, the Beginner Blues course may be a better fit since it will take you right up to the point that you need to be at to comfortably dive into the BGU course. I picked up the guitar again in my 50's after not having really played since my teens. Although I still remembered a bit, I decided to start out with the beginner course and am glad that I did because starting the BGU course would have been much more frustrating otherwise. Griff does a great job of covering the basics and helping to develop some good skills and playing technique that you need to progress.

Welcome to the forum!!! You found an incredibly supportive group that is always eager to help out a fellow member, so never hesitate to ask questions.

Geo Greek

Blues Newbie
Welcome to the forum George, it’s awesome having you with us! As far as courses, I originally bought Blues Guitar Unleashed as well. I also was a beginner. I could play/strum the basic “cowboy chords” but wanted to play the blues. I did ok with some the course but to be honest, I struggled. It was just to advanced for me so I decided to buy Griffs “Beginning Blues Guitar” course and that was awesome, it was what I needed. I went through that course and it really gave me the basic skills, background and direction that I needed. After that I went right into Blues Guitar Unleashed and lessons that I struggled with the first go round were so much easier. If you are able to work through the lessons of Blues Guitar Unleashed without getting frustrated, you are good to go and on the right track. If you find that you are feeling like I was (frustrated and over my head), I really recommend getting Griffs Beginning Blues Guitar course. It was a game changer for me. However you move forward, just stick with playing, Griffs courses, practice on a regular basis (hopefully at least a little bit every day) and have FUN, that’s what it’s all about. Also, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to throw them out on this forum. It is full of people with way more knowledge and experience than me that love to help us newbies!

Geo Greek

Blues Newbie
If you feel as though you are really starting out, the Beginner Blues course may be a better fit since it will take you right up to the point that you need to be at to comfortably dive into the BGU course. I picked up the guitar again in my 50's after not having really played since my teens. Although I still remembered a bit, I decided to start out with the beginner course and am glad that I did because starting the BGU course would have been much more frustrating otherwise. Griff does a great job of covering the basics and helping to develop some good skills and playing technique that you need to progress.

Welcome to the forum!!! You found an incredibly supportive group that is always eager to help out a fellow member, so never hesitate to ask questions.
Thanks Elio....gonna check out the beginner course.....

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I actually went through from start to finish. It took me about a year and a half.
Yeah, me too, about a year. Same with ABGU, about two years. I'm glad I did it that way but I understand doing it in chunks is good too and is how most people do it.

Eric

Elio

Student Of The Blues
wow.................my problem, I start learning, then want to delve deeper into thaty part of the subject

I'm actually the same way but I have a tendency not to finish things due to distractions, so I promised myself I would go straight through regardless of what else I worked on.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I'm actually the same way but I have a tendency not to finish things due to distractions, so I promised myself I would go straight through regardless of what else I worked on.

Somewhat the same way, Like I know my weakness is soloing......and truthfully, I will probably never be a great solo player as I deep down enjoy rhythm.

So I started with the PTSM course, jumped over to a 5 killer blues solos, now I am reviewing the first two, and practicing A mixalodyn and E mixalodyn, while also doing the BBG strum lick strum thing