cheap guitar case

jporzelius

Blues Junior
Hey all,

I recently bought a G&L tribute series S-500, which I absolutely love (I promise to post more on that later). I am now looking for a case. The G&L cases come in at about $200 with shipping. That seems a bit steep for a $400 guitar that I take to about 6 gigs a year. Most standard cases for strat style guitars are too short for the S-500. It looks like some cheaper cases like the musician's gear
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-deluxe-electric-guitar-case

or On-stage:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-electric-guitar-case

would fit. Do any of you have experience with these cases and recommendations or warnings? Again, pretty light use with me packing it in the car to a few local shows a year.

thanks for your help,

jim

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I've got a hard shell cases to fit each style of guitar I own...nice option if your guitar is taking the plane or being thrown in the back of a van. I've found some of the generic brands to be fine...I've got a none brand HSC that will fit every tele and strat I own...

that being said, the on stage case you mention above is available in black for $51.02...cheap price and if you don't like the quality, you can send it back...no lose situation...later.

cowboy

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Hey all,

I recently bought a G&L tribute series S-500, which I absolutely love (I promise to post more on that later). I am now looking for a case. The G&L cases come in at about $200 with shipping. That seems a bit steep for a $400 guitar that I take to about 6 gigs a year. Most standard cases for strat style guitars are too short for the S-500. It looks like some cheaper cases like the musician's gear
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-deluxe-electric-guitar-case

or On-stage:

would fit. Do any of you have experience with these cases and recommendations or warnings? Again, pretty light use with me packing it in the car to a few local shows a year.

thanks for your help,

jim

I have actually have that one, although not in tweed. I just use it to transport either my strat or tele to occasional jams about once a month or so, and to store whichever guitar is currently out of playing rotation. It is reasonably solidly made and has held up well over about 3 years of use. About the only complaint is that the indentation where the neck rests could be a little bit deeper to prevent the guitar from sliding out of place. I usually tuck the strap alongside it and that usually keeps it snug. Otherwise, it fits both the strat and tele very well. I see that they have the open box version of the tweed case for $65.

Rad

Blues Newbie
I have one, the tweed, works good for my Tele and Strat. I coated it with amber varnish to darken it up. It is my table for my coffee and wine when camping when I’m playing the guitar so it has acquired a few stains.

464797AE-9B20-4A46-9517-1115B520E344.jpeg A232D496-ED3D-4521-8592-292625C09347.jpeg

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I recently went through this. I found most of the cheeper cases (gator, stagg etc) came in about £70. The reviews were mixed. Mainly positive but always with negative comments relating to quality. Ariving broken or latches braking after light use. I figured for £30 more (£100 delivered) I could get a Hiscock. I did and it is a great case. Probably cost a 6th what the guitar cost. However it was a 50th birthday present so worth much more to me. Also not sure you can get a US made gibson for much under a grand now.

cheers

Al.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Rad, your case looks a lot more substantial than my Musician's Gear cases. I have two, one for Strat/Tele and one for bass. The neck cradle in these is made of styrofoam and it is pretty easily crushed. If the body doesn't fit up against the side of the case, the neck may crush the styrofoam and slide over until the body rests against the side. My tele and strat are lightweights, and the slot in the neck cradle is pretty deep, and I don't use that case often. I haven't had any problems with it, though the guitar can also slide back and forth a few inches until the headstock or the butt end hits on the edge of the case. If I were going to use it more often, I'd want to add some padding to keep that from happening. My jazz bass weighs a ton, though, so I made a dense cushion for the lower horn by wrapping duct tape around an old cotton dish towel to take up the space. It works fine and I've used that one a lot. Cheap and adequate cases, though I admit to lusting in my heart for a genuine Fender case.

telecaseclosed.jpg

telecaseopen.jpg

telecaseandtele.jpg

basscaseclosed.jpg

basscaseandbass.jpg

Last edited:

Rad

Blues Newbie
Nice Tele. What is the neck pickup on it?

That is a Lollar, Charlie Christian I put in. I have done a lot to the Tele. Most recent, that is a Fender Roasted Maple 12” radius neck I just put on it. I knocked the awful gloss off it first.

4272B318-308A-4F47-9BC0-4A72E93C6259.jpeg

Rad

Blues Newbie
Rad, your case looks a lot more substantial than the Musician's Gear cases. I have two, one for Strat/Tele and one for bass. The neck cradle in these feels like it's made of styrofoam and it is easily crushed. If the body doesn't fit up against the side of the case, the neck may crush the styrofoam and slide over until the body rests against the side. My tele and strat are lightweights, and the slot in the neck cradle is pretty deep, and I don't use that case often. I haven't had any problems with it, though the guitar can slide back and forth a few inches until the headstock or the butt end hits on the edge of the case. My jazz bass weighs a ton, though, so I made a brace or cushion for the lower horn by wrapping duct tape around an old cotton dish towel to take up the space. It works fine and I've used that one a lot. Cheap and adequate cases, though I admit to lusting in my heart for a genuine Fender case.

View attachment 10782

View attachment 10783

View attachment 10778

View attachment 10784

View attachment 10785

Mine looks like the same case to me as posted in the original thread. I got mine used, traded for it.

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
Road Runner makes some inexpensive HSC that are good for teles and strats. They provide good protection for lite use. Look on line at Musiians' Friend or Guitar Center. Better yet, if a Guitar Center is close by, take the guitar and test the fit. Guitar Center usually has a number of Road Runner cases in stock.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I
Hey all,

or On-stage:

thanks for your help,

jim

It's your lucky day! That case just came up as the Stupid Deal of the Hour for $69. It should be available for the rest of the day at that price.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

jporzelius

Blues Junior
You guys are awesome. In addition to giving feedback about your experiences with the cases, Elio just let me know that it was stupid deal of the hour (which I never would have seen), plus, when I logged on to buy it I found that I had 37 dollars worth of credit points from buying the guitar so I just ordered a 32 dollar tweed case :Beer:. If it doesn't fit my G&L, I'll keep it for my old Squier Tele.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I have an SKB padded case/gigg bag. It has the shoulkder straps like a gigg bag, but the case has foam surrounding it, so the guitar is well protected. And it's pretty light. Not sure on length, but it held my Strat's and Tele's just fine.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
You guys are awesome. In addition to giving feedback about your experiences with the cases, Elio just let me know that it was stupid deal of the hour (which I never would have seen), plus, when I logged on to buy it I found that I had 37 dollars worth of credit points from buying the guitar so I just ordered a 32 dollar tweed case :Beer:. If it doesn't fit my G&L, I'll keep it for my old Squier Tele.

Like I said, it's your lucky day! BTW, your G&L should fit fine, as that should be the same size as my strat. Both my Michael Kelly CC50 tele and my G&L ASAT fit nicely, as well.