Network tech heads, we got any ?

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Okay, I finalized my rack tonight with the DBX Driverack PA2, its pretty cool, limiter, speaker management, compressor, EQ all in one

Best part, connect to my router, and at a gig I can make changes on the fly with my Ipad. If you have never seen one, check it out, I cant find one bad reviews, and the feedback suppression is acclaimed by everyone that uses it

there is also the mixer, an Avid 11Rack, and ART II preamp, tascam 1200usb interface, Korg tuner and of course power management

So, my question, the Avid 11R has a USB out to use to the computer to control changes, also the mixer has a USB out to bring audio to the computer.

Can I use any kind of USB hub into the router to use the 11R and mixer wirelessly ?

lights.jpg no lights.jpg

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
There is piece of software called VirtualHere that allows USB connections over WiFi. You will need a client and a server. The server will be a hardware device (Linux router, Raspberry Pi etc.) running the licensed software that will connect to the devices and then the client is just software on a remote PC and I think that side is free.

You can get a feel for it with a free single device server license. It only can serve one device at a time and doesn’t support auto connection.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I checked out VirtualHere using two Win10 machines (I did not try it over wi-fi, but I have no reason to suspect it would operate any differently. I used the trial version, so only one connection was supported.
With it, I was able to control an 11r on the remote (server) machine from my regular desktop, without issue, using the 11r Editor app. Response was as expected on a normal USB connection.

The only issue I had with it was my client computer is configured with audio drivers for an Eleven Rack. When I connected the remote 11r, my client computer made the 11r the preferred audio device. Within 30 seconds of doing so, the client machine blue screened. I was able to successfully test by disabling the Eleven Rack as an audio device. The editor worked perfectly after that.

I don't really have an application for it at home, but it seems like a handy piece of software to have for your application.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Yeah, I would use it to make configuration changes on the 11r but I would not attempt to pass audio over it, especially ASIO or anything that is going to have issues with latency or be sensitive to any type of clock.

One benefit you may have in a home studio is ground noise isolation. A lot of USB devices will add noise when on the same chain as your audio interface. You can use VirtualHere to connect to these devices over WiFi (or wired Ethernet) and eliminate the issue.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I have a router with a USB hook up that I connect an external hard drive to back up the computers on the network, I was hoping for a simple USB hub or something, then plugging it into the router and connecting

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I have a router with a USB hook up that I connect an external hard drive to back up the computers on the network, I was hoping for a simple USB hub or something, then plugging it into the router and connecting

You can do that with a Raspberry Pi, or a router like the GL-AR150 which is pretty cheap. You may even be able to load VirtualHere on your router, although you may need to switch to the openwrt OS to do so.

There are a couple other software solutions but I am not aware of any pre-packaged hardware devices.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
You can do that with a Raspberry Pi, or a router like the GL-AR150 which is pretty cheap. You may even be able to load VirtualHere on your router, although you may need to switch to the openwrt OS to do so.

There are a couple other software solutions but I am not aware of any pre-packaged hardware devices.
thanks, I used to be very techy, these days, I am happy with a 32 inch tv with a single speaker.....lol