Wooden Picks

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Well, if you and MM like 'em I figured I had best give 'em a try. Tiny little buggers. Took me a couple of tries to quit squeezing too hard. Once I relax and let them move a bit in my grip they seem to be getting better and better for my tele playing. They sound pretty close to the 1.14 Dunlops I've been mainly using but they may end up being a bit more precise and my other fingers are closer to the strings, good in case there is a chance to use them. I don't know how, or if I will find them suited to my acoustic playing but this is a nice change for the Fenders.

Thanks for the "tip" guys.:thumbup: (no pick pun allowed:p)

I think sometime in the past I had a wood pick, if I saw one locally might try it. They are real pretty and made a good fun thread.:Beer:

haven't got sick once, probably keep us both alive
I use Dunlop nylon or Tortex regular sized picks for my acoustics, and strum with the heel gather than the tip

Shodai

Blues Junior
I got them just to try something different. Really like them on my Acoustics. Apparently they do affect the sound, my wife asked what I was doing differently. She said it sounded softer. Not in volume, but more on the attack. Not an everyday pick though.

My usual pick for years was the trusty old Fender, in medium or heavy, depending. For the last couple of years I've been using Everly Star Picks. They don't move as much in my fingers. Don't drop them as often as I used to.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm firmly in the camp of picks over 1mm in thickness. My go-to picks are the Dunlop Gator 1.14mm, but I have several hundred picks I bought from a store going out of business several years ago, which are equivalent to a Fender medium. I tend to use whatever I grab first. Someone gave me a Jazz III pick at BGU Live several years ago and I think I ended up giving it back. It was just too small for me.

I'm still trying to remember how I played a Precision Bass with Fender thins when I was a teenager...

gpower

Blues Junior
Tried almost every kind of pick out there, over the years. 1.5mm Tortex was my goto for a long time before they came out with their gels. I also like V-Picks meduim rounded. So, now depending on feel, I go between Red H, or Yellow X-H gels, and the V-Picks. I find I quickly adapt no matter what I'm picking or strumming with, even coins now and then.

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
I think I'm in the minority her but I prefer the sounds I get with thinner picks or sometimes just fingers. I've tried to learn the Buddy Guy style of switching back and forth but can't get it. The only problem I have with the lighter picks is that they will wear out before I lose them.