Suggestion-Other Blues Forms

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@Griff I've been listening to and learning
I'll Remember You by Keb Mo

It's a fairly straight forward song with two twists that I can hear...

-If you were going to jam with someone, would you call it a 16 bar pattern in Dm?
Dm7 G7 A
- At 2:37 there's 1 chord bridge that seems to have an A tonic (Asus resolving to A??),
Since A would be the V, how does the "sus" "Fit" or is that just a normal thing to do?

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

-If you were going to jam with someone, would you call it a 16 bar pattern in Dm?
Dm7 G7 A
- At 2:37 there's 1 chord bridge that seems to have an A tonic (Asus resolving to A??),
Since A would be the V, how does the "sus" "Fit" or is that just a normal thing to do?
I'm beginning to think Keb Mo' could write a song with one chord and keep it interesting. I don't think I've ever heard a song of his that I did not like.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member

Dm7 G7 A
I wouldn't call it any sort of blues, it's just a chord progression that happens to be 16 bars long (I think, I didn't count them.)

As for the sus thing, that can happen on I or V so it's totally "in key" to do it on the A, as the V of D.

Something to note... the D isn't actually minor, or major. I don't hear an F or F# in there, it's just a power chord.

This would be fun to analyze at a session... maybe we'll do that :)

Steve_Whant

Blues Junior
I was introduced to Keb Mo's music maybe 15 years ago & I agree with PapaRaptor which is why i have been listening to him ever since. It would be great to analyse a track of his. Started to do that many years ago with a friend that i would jam with - we didn't get very far as I didn't have the tools & ability to do it then. I would really like to add a few of his songs to my repertoire so this could be a really good start

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I'm thinking we'll do some Keb Mo analysis for one of our Theory sessions in March, any other tunes y'all wanna look at? I think we could do at least the 2 mentioned so far, maybe 1 or 2 more, depending on the complexity.

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
I'm thinking we'll do some Keb Mo analysis for one of our Theory sessions in March, any other tunes y'all wanna look at? I think we could do at least the 2 mentioned so far, maybe 1 or 2 more, depending on the complexity.

From stuff I’ve worked on this year-
Georgia on my mind (Peter Frampton) I mentioned this in a separate forum, it’s a long instrumental, but some of the solo stuff I find really cool - especially how to get the best/right fingering
Sleep Walk (Jeff Beck) Also just saved his Peter Gunn YouTube. I think JB would be interesting to learn about. Tnx!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Shave Yo Legs Is a fun one too.