Mardi Gras gig

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Got a Mardi Gras gig coming up in late February. I'll be playing bass with the funk/disco group that I have been associated for the past few years. We will be doing the classic disco stuff, but also some conteporary pop like Pink and Bruno Mars.

Lineup is Drums, Bass, Guitar. Keys (leader and vocalist),. 6 horns, 2 female vocalists.

The performance will be in Canton Ct if any one is nearby.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Sounds like fun. My only experience playing with brass was when Laura Hamlin joined MikeS and I for "let the good times roll" in Memphis.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Sounds like fun. My only experience playing with brass was when Laura Hamlin joined MikeS and I for "let the good times roll" in Memphis.
The horn section is 3 saxes, 2 trombones and 1 trumpet. The sax players usually have more than one- alto, tenor, etc,

On "Love Shack" the bass and bari sax are playing in unison which is pretty cool.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
When did they move the Mardi Gras to Canton Connecticut?

Will there be beer, babes,, beads, and boobs? :)
short answer, no. costumes yes

CARNIVAL Mardi Gras

Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020 at 7:30 pm.

Put on your “fanciful” dress and join the Farmington Valley Stage Company in Collinsville for a Mardi Gras celebration.

The evening includes live music by “Groove Therapy”, dancing, costume contest, desserts, and coffee. The celebration begins at 7:30 pm with doors opening at 7 pm.

Tickets are only available online and will not be sold at the door.

This is a SPECIAL EVENT and subscription tickets can NOT be used for this date.

Tickets are $30/person.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Had a sound check tonight, getting stage volumes and monitors balanced and then out in the house. After that 1.5 hours of going over rough spots from pevious rehearsals. Dress rehearsal tommorow, show Sat.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Dress rehersal went pretty well. The intent was just to run the show. We did go back over a few problem spots.
The charts have lots of repeated sections and some times play 3x or 4x 0n the repeat. and then there are DS al Coda,
Quite often I fall back on hearing the lyrics to figure out where I am in in the song.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Well the show went really well on Sat. It didn't hurt to have major rehearsals on Thurs and Fri.
Video was taken, we will see how that turns out.
I played the Westone Raider in the black/silver color scheme, Jazz Bass as backup, but I have never broken a string on a bass.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
In the third set somehow I didn't grab all the charts. The first three tunes were Pick Up the Pieces, Brick House, and Play That Funky Music (White Boy). I've played them so many times, I just played by ear / memory