Does This Sound Like a Daft Question from a Newbie

AndrewMcKelvey

Blues Newbie
I'm really not that new to this but I am to the forum and was following some threads about strings etc, not going to bore with detail but the question "when does a set of string need changing" came to mind

I get it they could do with a swap out if they are rough and rusty and my finger ends get black playing but some guys reckon every gig, every week, every month I can't say I am that fastidious, once every couple of years provided I don't break any.

So the big question is when do you change your strings (and just to prempt an answer what does a dull string sound like?)

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I try to change them every couple months, or when the wound strings get grey looking from being dirty. As far as sounding dull, it's a subtle change so it's hard to hear it, but when I change the strings it's instantly noticeable. I buy regular slinkies in bulk from Sweetwater. They are on sale pretty regularly for 3 sets for $10.00.

Shodai

Blues Junior
The best rule I've ever heard for changing strings is this:

1. Change them when they break
2. Change them when they no longer sound good to you
3. Change them when they no longer feel good to you

I have read stories of professional guys that change the strings before every show, and others that never change them unless one breaks. I've heard of guys that take their strings off and boil them in water, then put them back on. I know, a lot of trouble to keep from spending $5~$10 on a new set, but its a thing, you can google it.

A lot of guys set a schedule; every month, every six months... whatever interval. I don't believe there's any real science behind it. Its all personal preference.

As for myself, I change them when I think they need to be changed. Again, nothing exact or scientific about it.

That's the best non-answer answer I can offer.

straightblues

Blues Junior
There are no rules. I happen to like old strings. I don't change them unless they get rusty. I rarely break them. I would say on average I probably change them twice a year. I use pure nickel strings and they tend to last longer.

aleclee

Tribe of One
The best rule I've ever heard for changing strings is this:

1. Change them when they break
2. Change them when they no longer sound good to you
3. Change them when they no longer feel good to you
Boom. All you need to know IMO.

AndrewMcKelvey

Blues Newbie
It is as I thought then, it depends upon who you ask the question of. If they are trying to sell you some strings the advice will be every other day if not well when ever you think they need it and as for sounding dull that's a matter of opinion and hard to measure and some people might like dull strings, certainly my ear can't tell the difference altho I do agree I can tell the difference between old and new strings and got to be honest I prefer them when you have got all the creep out of them and they stay tight (re in tune) for more than 12 bars

Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated I don't get out much and like a lot of stuff there isn't any reason why some folk do it this way and another do it another but you can certainly create interesting debate about the merits of one over another Cheers!​

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I once read that Clapton likes his bass strings to be reasonably dull. So he changes the 3 top strings twice as often as the 3 bass strings. This makes it easier to palm mute as they don't ring out as much.

cheers

Al.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If all you do is play at home... Change them when they sound or feel wrong to you.
If you are gigging, pretty much the same answer, but have a spare set or a spare guitar with you so that you can change a broken string quickly.
I usually change strings when I can't remember the last time I changed them.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
If all you do is play at home... Change them when they sound or feel wrong to you.
If you are gigging, pretty much the same answer, but have a spare set or a spare guitar with you so that you can change a broken string quickly.
I usually change strings when I can't remember the last time I changed them.

I hate to admit it, but I have and Epiphone EB-3 bass that has the strings that were on it when I bought it new in 2012. Then again, it probably sees less use than any other bass I own.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
This may seem weird, but I know I need to change strings when they develop a mettalic odor.
I guess it has to do with oxidation and whenever I get that mettalic whiff, I know it's time.

Elwood

Blues
If you can stand, or like, the sound and feel of "worn in" strings that is very individual and personal. My strings have to go when tuning becomes unstable. When they start to sound out of tune an annoying amount of the time, regardless of my efforts, I realize it has gone on too long. If it has been that long, fresh strings are magic.
I like to replace them, most likely, too frequently. I like the sound and feel of fairly fresh strings, in particular on an acoustic. Electrics, not so critical to me. The bass (and banjo) should have new strings every decade or two (unless you prefer more highs in your bass tones than I). My old hands don't do much bass without protest anymore anyway.
FWIW, I had not broken a guitar string in a very long time, until I got a guitar with locking tuners. Now I keep a pack of single .010s around.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
One other thing that has to do with changing strings is the amount of strings that may need changing.

When I just had my one Epi LP, I used to change strings monthly or bi-monthly - not necessarily because I needed to but more so because it was something to so (and I do like the sound of fresh strings).

But as I began to acquire more guitars - thanks in no small part to the GAS influences of this forum), I now have seven electrics of various brands which has brought string replacement more to the level of work than pastime.

Add to that the issue of gauges.

My first two Epi's (the LP and the 335) were straightforward; 11's on both, each wrapped over the tailpiece - tune and play.

But now I have a Strat (which I ordered set up with 11's and it's fine and it's staying that way), a Meteora that came with 9's, a PRS (also with 9's) and my Joe Pass which came with 10's and I changed to 11's but now feel they may be a bit stiff so...I'm thinking about changing.
The PRS plays beautifully with the 9's but I do often find myself lifting a string and sometimes losing it altogether because -- well, they're 9's and I'm used to heavier. My Meteora also has 9's and though I don't seem to experience the "lifting" issue as much, I'm wondering if 10's might be a better fit for it as well as for the PRS.

And I haven't even touched on the three acoustics (also with varying gauges) and my knock-off Strat (which is a future project guitar, but still... :LOL:

**sigh**

So now, when I think about changing strings, I no longer see it as much as the fun thing to do while watching TV but rather as more of a chore to be dealt with.

Now when I think I need to change strings it's more like, "Meh", and it gets added to my "To Do" list and I'll get to...

...one of these days. :confused:

I'll tell ya', the worn strings have been sounding better and better lately. :Beer:

Rad

Blues Newbie
Strings are cheap, well, not flat wounds. To that end, if I’m wondering if I should change strings on a guitar, I do.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I feel a bit like JPsuff does. I have about 7 guitars on the wall, so each individual one doesn't get constant play, which is my excuse for not having a schedule.
For me it's often a feel thing rather than a time or visual or even sound issue.I Ifthe strings start to feel like they are worn at each fret (no longer smooth) then they definitely need changing.
If i want to oil the fretboard, or clean the guitar, or otherwise do maintenance, I change the strings. So some strings get changes simply because I want to make the body shine, no idea how recently I change the strings.

I only try to use 9s or 10s (except for my acoustic) so I don't have too many gauges to deal with.
I buy my strings in 5 or 10 packs when I find a sale, so I'm not attached to a particular brand (I'm cheap that way).

When it comes to bass, I have one bass with flatwounds where I don't intend to "ever" change them. I like the worn sound. One my jazz bass, I like to get some trebble zing at times, even though I don't slap, so I use round wounds and change then maybe every other year.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I hate to admit it, but I have and Epiphone EB-3 bass that has the strings that were on it when I bought it new in 2012. Then again, it probably sees less use than any other bass I own.
I've never broken a string on a bass. I've got some basses from the mid 80s. I have no reason to believe any had strings changed.I didn't.