Miscellaneous Today I officially became a full fledged guitar geek!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I've been wanting one of these for the longest time. I've been using my Eleven Rack and a Boss TU-80 tuner to set intonation on guitars and they're pretty accurate. I've never been able to justify a new Peterson mechanical strobe tuner, but last night I found this one on my local FB marketplace and wasted no time in making the deal. For a vintage (mid 70's) piece of electronic gear, I was amazed to find that it is accurate within less than 1 cent on tuning!

Peterson420.jpg

sloslunas

NM Blues
I've been wanting one of these for the longest time. I've been using my Eleven Rack and a Boss TU-80 tuner to set intonation on guitars and they're pretty accurate. I've never been able to justify a new Peterson mechanical strobe tuner, but last night I found this one on my local FB marketplace and wasted no time in making the deal. For a vintage (mid 70's) piece of electronic gear, I was amazed to find that it is accurate within less than 1 cent on tuning!

Peterson420.jpg
Uh...you just found this out?? You have been a guitar geek since way before I met you. Just sayin'...

Steve

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Are you sure it's a tuner? Looks like an old shortwave radio. ;)

It's been a long time since I've seen a rotary knob labeled "Vernier".
I hadn't even noticed the designation. You know, you're right. it looks a lot like an old Hallicrafters SW radio I had as a kid. It was an AC/DC chassis and damn near electrocuted me when I was about 13.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Great piece of new gear. Couldn't justify it myself, of course. Just don't play well enough to need tuning that accurate.

Does look like a piece of old ham equipment, though, doesn't it.

Have fun with it. Try not to get zapped.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Besides the cool factor...
I've had a Peterson Strobe around here for a few years and I've never been able to bond with the strobe thing.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Besides the cool factor...
I've had a Peterson Strobe around here for a few years and I've never been able to bond with the strobe thing.
I wanted it so I can accurately set intonation when I do setups. I set intonation on two guitars this evening that I had previously done with just my Boss TU-80. One was reasonably close to accurate and the other was way out. It only cost me $90 and my clip on tuners don't have to worry about being out of a job.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Lloyd...hate to tell you this but you passed the guitar geek thing a long time ago...think tele's...you've been in the world of "gear geek" for decades now...this is truly an addiction and you should seek help...I'm willing to hold ALL of your gear for you until you get it figured out...later.

cowboy

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I wanted it so I can accurately set intonation when I do setups. I set intonation on two guitars this evening that I had previously done with just my Boss TU-80. One was reasonably close to accurate and the other was way out. It only cost me $90 and my clip on tuners don't have to worry about being out of a job.

I can never seem to get the strobe to stop in one place.
Maybe I have for crap machine heads on my guitars?