Hello from Wakefield West Yorkshire

AndrewMcKelvey

Blues Newbie
I am Andrew McKelvey a 62 year old soon to be 63 year old retired electrical engineer from Wakefield West Yorkshire England.

I have been learning to play guitar since my parents bought me a second hand acoustic when I was about 14 so I have been at it for circa 50 years, Bert Weedon's Play in a day book didn't do a great lot for me but I bought many other guitar tutorials in the 70's and could strum a few chords and play some Neil Diamond Hot August Night and other stuff and continued like that for a while until a guy I worked with came to join a jam session with a couple of my other mates, he told me I was c**p and I gave up for a while.

Forward a few years and I eventually went to college at night class to study electric guitar which was good and then bought a guitar course from John Mizzarolli, which was just a pile of photo copied notes and 20 cd's with backing tracks and other stuff thought I had wasted my money and perhaps I was c**p. I then took proper lessons to learn banjo but ended up talking more about music but I learned a lot of theory

Wasn't until I came across Griff via another American dude whos name escapes me for the moment that I got the Blues Guitar Unleashed course a few years ago, I now understand a lot more of the theory and only recently got into the website. I have plugged my way through about 5 of Griff's courses and I am told by my wife that I sound ok most days

Hopefully with a bit more practise, I have a bit of spare time now that I will sound ok every day.

artyman

Fareham UK
Hi and welcome from another of the UK mob, they are a great bunch on here with plenty of advice and encouragement. Take a wander down to the basement and check out the Virtual Jam Room, where you can practice your skills.

You will be pleased to know that we have an annual BGU-UK bash in Driffield, convenient for you! here's some links to previous years to give you a flavour, it makes a great weekend, and well worth the trip up from the South coast for me.

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/bgu-uk-2017.20062/
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/bgu-uk-jam-2016.16295/

Here's a link to a playlist from 2017
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJYaeP3xMu4U6ds-C988IHPJDMtev0FZB

I started with Bert Weedon as well! didn't play for about forty years, too busy dinghy racing, then got back to playing when I was 70. I'm a keen Shadows fan and play that at a Shadows style meetup at a Bournemouth pub each month, I'm also in a guitar duo playing sixties stuff. www.jigsaw.me.uk

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Welcome!
Glad to have you with us, you're in a good place to learn.
There seems to be quite a few EEs hanging around here must be the ELECTRICITY in guitar music.

Last edited:

Shodai

Blues Junior
Welcome to the forum!

You've just become a member of an extraordinary group of people, and there is not a friendlier or more helpful forum for a blues guitarist anywhere on the internet!

Drop by often, join in the conversations. As great as the course materials are (and they are great) you will find a wealth of information and a lot of support and encouragement from the members.

You're going to love it here!

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Welcome! I was going to point out the UK get-togethers but artyman beat me to it.
Of course we'd love to have you in one of the US-side ones too :)