Question for the vinyl record experts here

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I have an Audio-Technica turntable that has been acting up lately and I have been unable to fix the problem. The record will play fine for about 5 minutes (this is very consistent) and then it starts cutting in and out, almost skipping but not like a normal record skip. At first I thought it might have to do with the tracking as the needle worked it's way closer to the center but that is not the case. Once this issue starts up, I can flip the record over and it will continue skipping on the very first track. I have re calibrated the tone arm and tracking several times. I replaced the original cartridge and headshell with an Ortofon 2M red about a year ago and it has always worked great up until recently. I have made sure all of the connections are solid on the cartridge. I have also changed the input on the receiver to make sure that wasn't the issue. I doubt that he needle is worn since I only occasionally listen to records. It really seems odd that the issue almost always starts up right about the 5 minute mark of playing time.

If anyone has any words of advice, I would appreciate it. Here is a sample of what the "skipping" sounds like.

Sound sample

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
That sounds to my ear like irregularities in the drive speed. Is there a drive belt? If so, is it not seated well, slipping, or old?

Ted_Zeppelin

That sounds to my ear like irregularities in the drive speed. Is there a drive belt? If so, is it not seated well, slipping, or old?

no belt. It is a direct drive turntable. It is only a few years old with fairly low hours.

Ted_Zeppelin

Are you sure it's a turntable problem and not a shaky connection somewhere else

I have checked all of the connections that I know of. Everything seems good and tight. The 5 minute thing really seems strange to me. Why would it work perfect for the first 5 minutes and then always start to go wonky?

Elwood

Blues
if the stylus is not damaged or dirty it sure sounds like weight and skate. But then you have the 5 minute thing????

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
if the stylus is not damaged or dirty it sure sounds like weight and skate. But then you have the 5 minute thing????

Those were my thoughts. Sounds like tracking is too light, except for the 5 minute rule.

Ted_Zeppelin

Originally I assumed it was the weight and skate issue but I have verified the tone arm set up several times. Even bought a stylus weight measuring device. Got it right at 1.8 grams like the manufacturer suggests. I hate to buy another stylus but that is probably the next step.

Ted_Zeppelin

How old is the Vinyl? Does it do it on all of them?
It happens on old and new alike. A few days ago it actually made it all the way through one side of an older record and I got all excited thinking it was fixed. I played another record later that day and right on cue about 5 minutes in it started acting up. I even put on the record that had played perfectly and it did not play perfect this time.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Originally I assumed it was the weight and skate issue but I have varied the tone arm set up several times. Even bought a stylus weight measuring device. Got it right at 1.8 grams like the manufacturer suggests. I hate to buy another stylus but that is probably the next step.
Have you tried increasing the tracking force just a little, say between 2 and 2.5 grams? Most cartridges are sprung so that they can handle a little extra tracking force. The only other thing I can think of is that the table might not be exactly level.

I have an AT LP-120 table that won't track properly if it isn't right on. In my case, it also doesn't help that I'm in a 60 year old house with 60 year old floor joists.

Ted_Zeppelin

Have you tried increasing the tracking force just a little, say between 2 and 2.5 grams? Most cartridges are sprung so that they can handle a little extra tracking force. The only other thing I can think of is that the table might not be exactly level.

I have an AT LP-120 table that won't track properly if it isn't right on. In my case, it also doesn't help that I'm in a 60 year old house with 60 year old floor joists.
I made sure the table is level. Checked several different directions with the level and everything was spot on. I have upped the tracking force but it made no difference. I also have a table mat that I used to make sure the head is aligned correctly.

Elwood

Blues
AT LP120-USB? Dang Papa, mind meld.... I run mine a bit heavy also. Level can be an issue, but it shouldn't change after 5 minutes.:eek:

Elwood

Blues
Other than poltergeist or elect/mech failure I'm lost. I would take mine off power and cycle every switch and slider and button feverishly. Then make a wish and try it.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Quick question after listening to your sample again. Is your table running into an analog magnetic preamp or do you have something with a USB converter in it? Upon close listening it sounds like the signal has been digitized and your A/D converter is spitting errors.

I heard a couple of snare hits that were too close together to be a record skip. Cozy Powell is fast, but not that fast!

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

Quick question after listening to your sample again. Is your table running into an analog magnetic preamp or do you have something with a USB converter in it? Upon close listening it sounds like the signal has been digitized and your A/D converter is spitting errors.

I heard a couple of snare hits that were too close together to be a record skip. Cozy Powell is fast, but not that fast!

I have the turntable switch set to Line going to the A/V 3 input on the receiver. Been setup this way since I have had it other than I used to have it going to A/V 2, switched to a/v3 today just to see if it was an issue with that receiver input.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Wow. Beats me, then. When I listened closely, it sounded like a digital signal that was overrunning its buffer. If you have a completely analog signal chain that certainly isn't the problem.

What kind of table is it?

Ted_Zeppelin

Wow. Beats me, then. When I listened closely, it sounded like a digital signal that was overrunning its buffer. If you have a completely analog signal chain that certainly isn't the problem.

What kind of table is it?

AT-LP120-USB, same as you and Elwood. None of it makes sense to me. There used to be a local guy that worked on turntables but he has recently moved out of the area. I'll keep fooling around with it until hopefully I can get it figured out.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.

Ted_Zeppelin

After many emails back and forth with a very helpful fellow at Audio-Technica, I am one step closer to figuring out the problem. There is nothing wrong with the turntable. I am apparently getting some type of “interference” in my receiver. Still not sure what or where this interference is coming from but there is a useable work around. The receiver has a “direct” mode that bypasses most of the circuitry and when I use it everything plays fine. The direct mode has many limitations since it basically turns off most of the front panel settings but the sound is good, so at this point it is the solution. The turntable is the only piece of equipment that I have this issue with.