First day of Bass

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Well, even though the bass only has 4 strings, doesnt make it easier, its very different, at least at first.

For one,there has to be a trick to not make so much noise, I must be hitting the strings too hard or something because I can hear them hitting the fret board

The fatter strings I can see I am already pressing too hard trying to compensate, so that will be something to work on.

I also never realized, a bass doesnt have a pick up selector switch, spent ten minutes looking for the thing

The only crossover I am seeing (at this time) is the counting is the same, and knowing rhythm I think is helping

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Well, even though the bass only has 4 strings, doesnt make it easier, its very different, at least at first.

For one,there has to be a trick to not make so much noise, I must be hitting the strings too hard or something because I can hear them hitting the fret board

The fatter strings I can see I am already pressing too hard trying to compensate, so that will be something to work on.

I also never realized, a bass doesnt have a pick up selector switch, spent ten minutes looking for the thing

The only crossover I am seeing (at this time) is the counting is the same, and knowing rhythm I think is helping
The scales are the same once you get used to it

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My main problem to date is that: too much energy banging on the strings and making them buzz even when the action is fine. It's so hard to relax and just pluck them, especially when the tempo is peppy. :confused:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
My biggest challenge its alternating the index and middle fingers. Per Griff's advice, I'm going to start out the "right" way and see what happens down the road.
It's also hard to get used to the fact that the gap between the strings is much larger. :oops:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
My biggest challenge its alternating the index and middle fingers. Per Griff's advice, I'm going to start out the "right" way and see what happens down the road.
It's also hard to get used to the fact that the gap between the strings is much larger. :oops:

I am making wya too much noise coming from the systerm, you would think I am spanking the strings

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Often light fret buzz doesn't come through the amp and can be acceptable.
Otherwise could be the action is a bit low?
Or yes, it could be bad technique, too much power or wrong way of plucking (do you pluck the string by haven't ng. You finger stop against the string above it? I'm sure there are a million YouTube videos on proper plucking).

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I am making wya too much noise coming from the systerm, you would think I am spanking the strings
There's a lot of difference between practicing and playing. When I practice, I have the bass tone controls wide open, so I can better hear what I am playing, fret rattle be damned! You are going to have some fret rattle no matter what you do, especially when you first start out. When you're playing with others, unless you're popping and snapping, you will want to take the tone control on your bass down to between 50% and 75%. Depending on your bass, maybe even lower. That way, very little of the fret rattle makes it into the amp.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
There's a lot of difference between practicing and playing. When I practice, I have the bass tone controls wide open, so I can better hear what I am playing, fret rattle be damned! You are going to have some fret rattle no matter what you do, especially when you first start out. When you're playing with others, unless you're popping and snapping, you will want to take the tone control on your bass down to between 50% and 75%. Depending on your bass, maybe even lower. That way, very little of the fret rattle makes it into the amp.
cool, thanks, I am guessing a lot has to do with my technique...........since i only want to learn passable bass, its only going to get 3 hours or so of practice a week

Elio

Student Of The Blues

Pressing down directly on the fret is the key to minimizing the noise. Your fretting hand will definitely get a good stretch.

Bluez Mark

Blues Newbie
Hello, what oil about going back and forth between bass and guitar is getting see how the two work together. All the scales are the same for both, the bass you don’t use the last 2 strings of whatever scale your using.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
If you hover over the movie window, you should get a Share option. If you click on it, you'll get a link to the video, which you can paste into your browser and go to the clip (which is a trailer for the film).
The video is set up to not allow it to be used and an embedded video.
This link should get you to it. https://youtu.be/TrwLJTGuNH0

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Mark,
I think you'll do well.
I get the impression you just do things, damn the naysayers.
(y)

Oh, I do things even if I do them badly, I am too old to care.

But really, I think people who play bass well, are a different mindset than 6 string players, just like some are great finger-style, rhythm, or lead

drumming I am doing okay, but I think its natural to try and be a metronome, but bass is a little different animal. What they do is pretty cool and not me, took me like 5 hours to learn stand by me to speed