What makes rock (and blues) sound like rock (and blues)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
He just explained why Mixolydian works for a Major sound and Dorian or minor pentatonic work for a minor sound over the I bVII IV progression in Dear Mr. Fantasy, Sympathy For The Devil and Sweet Home Alabama.:sneaky:

Do you prefer your b7's with a Major or minor 3rd?

This just may have been the best presentation of the concepts involved I have ever seen.

And in only 13 minutes.

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
This just may have been the best presentation of the concepts involved I have ever seen.

And in only 13 minutes.

He is very good at explaining these things. I have watched several of his videos with many of them way over my head but I can generally pick up at least 1or 2 useful tidbits. And to your point, I thought it was relevant to some of the recent discussions we have had here on the forum.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
And to your point, I thought it was relevant to some of the recent discussions we have had here on the forum.
I knew you were on the ball and that this couldn't have been purely coincidental.(y)

It was interesting at about 4:40 he started playing the Sweet Home Alabama progression and, Oops!, realized he mislabeled the chords and then corrected it. Then at the end asks you to identify what Key Sweet Home Alabama is in.:whistle:

Also his comments about music theory (11:55-12:17) were spot on. Everyone should hear those 22 seconds.:)

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Great video!

And it validates my "BluesPentaDorian" scale and explains why it works with so many styles.:thumbup:

I was also somewhat surprised to hear him say that there was a fair amount of confusion over what key to play over "Hey Joe":confused:

I've always played E minor Pentatonic.
I never thought it was anything else.

Interesting.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I was also somewhat surprised to hear him say that there was a fair amount of confusion over what key to play over "Hey Joe":confused:

I've always played E minor Pentatonic.

The "confusion"/"spirited discussion"/fun you find on the internet is about what "Key" it is in.

I don't think anyone would disagree about playing an E minor pentatonic/blues scale over it.

Step 1 is to analyze a progression.

For "Hey Joe" (according to this video)...

bVI bIII bVII IV I in E Major .....with the bVI, bIII & bVII borrowed from E minor

Step 2 is to plan an approach to soloing over it...

E minor pentatonic/blues

He also mentioned the possibility of playing Dorian over all but the first chord, Aeolian over any of the first 3 and Mixolydian over any of the last 3.:sneaky:

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
I'll just never be a deep theory guy.:confused: Much respect to those who get it.

Check the line @ 9:00 or so when Paul says "I think analyzing something theoretically can sometimes be more confusing than just playing the song and feeling it, especially when the song doesn't follow the standard set of diatonic chords." That is a relief for me to hear a guy like that make that statement! :Beer:

Cool video, thanks TZ!!!

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
The "confusion"/"spirited discussion"/fun you find on the internet is about what "Key" it is in.

I don't think anyone would disagree about playing an E minor pentatonic/blues scale over it.

Step 1 is to analyze a progression.

For "Hey Joe" (according to this video)...

bVI bIII bVII IV I in E Major .....with the bVI, bIII & bVII borrowed from E minor

Step 2 is to plan an approach to soloing over it...

E minor pentatonic/blues

He also mentioned the possibility of playing Dorian over all but the first chord, Aeolian over any of the first 3 and Mixolydian over any of the last 3.:sneaky:

He also pointed out the tendency of theoretical over-analysis to add even more confusion and that it's often better to just feel the music and play.

That last part is what I most agree with. ;)

Shodai

Blues Junior
His stuff is pretty good, and I hear his Dutch is ok

Seriously though, I actually like this guy a lot. He has a knack for explaining theory in such a way as to not necessarily maker you feel like an idiot. I've seen several of his videos, haven't come across one yet that I didn't like.