Amps This could be interesting.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Because everybody keeps multiple 1X12 cabinets around?

More like, multiple heads and you can use the same 1x12 cab among them, I'm, thinking. I have the Quilter 101R mini, the Bias Mini head, the Mach 2 Pro head...I actually have two 1x12 cabs available but still. With all the cost effective mini heads floating around these days, and a 1x12 being comparatively easier to schlep than multi speaker cabs, just kind of makes sense to me. YMMV. :Beer:

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
V30 seems like an odd speaker choice as it's vintage in name only.

I have never understood the lasting popularity of that speaker. Of all the speakers I have ever tested, the pair of V30’s I once owned were by FAR my least favorite. The low end is clean and tight and they can handle a lot of power, but the upper mids and highs are just awful IMHO.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
The low end is clean and tight and they can handle a lot of power, but the upper mids and highs are just awful IMHO.

Well many people love them. Lots of manufacturers of soeaker cabs sold a ton of them.

Seems like the easy choice.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've been casually considering a 1 x 12 cab.
Part of my research took me to the Bogner 112 CP Closed Back Ported cab.
The construction, closed back & porting makes it considerable different from the MonoPrice unit but, it does use the V30.

The reason I looked at that is because Tim Pierce said this was his go to cab when he does studio sessions.
My intended use would also be for studio use so, It looks appealing to me.

Big price difference from the MonoPrice unit:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...x12-inch-closed-ported-cube-extension-cabinet

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Got to wonder why the combo and cab are available on 2/21, but the amp head alone isn't available until 5/2. o_O

I saw these announced a few months ago and wondered the same thing. My best guess is that they must have packaged them as combos that can't be split up. Monoprice is also really good about listening to customer feedback and then incorporating it into design changes (like the reverb tank issue in the original 15w amp), so there may be some benefit to holding off a bit.

Given that the 15w is a re-branded Laney 12R, the speculation is that this one is a re-branded Laney VC30. At least, the controls seem to match up exactly to the VC30 schematic. To me, it looks more like the Laney GH30R

Last edited:

aleclee

Tribe of One
Well many people love them. Lots of manufacturers of soeaker cabs sold a ton of them.

Seems like the easy choice.
The V30’s popularity seems centered in the high gain crowd and I didn’t think that was the target audience for an amp like this.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I've been casually considering a 1 x 12 cab.
Part of my research took me to the Bogner 112 CP Closed Back Ported cab.
The construction, closed back & porting makes it considerable different from the MonoPrice unit but, it does use the V30.

The reason I looked at that is because Tim Pierce said this was his go to cab when he does studio sessions.
My intended use would also be for studio use so, It looks appealing to me.

Big price difference from the MonoPrice unit:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...x12-inch-closed-ported-cube-extension-cabinet

Very timely. I'm looking for a cabinet as well. Sometimes the cabinet is overlooked as just a box to put your speakers in but nothing could be further from the truth. It can have a big influence on your sound and quality construction is a premium.
You may want to take a look at these guys, if you haven't already. Their top of the lines cabinets are made of birch wood with your choice of speakers. If I could find an old Switchback 2x12 used I would jump all over it.

http://3rdpower.com/products/cabinets/

Oh yeah they make some kickass amps too, again pricey. But check out the kitchen sink.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxLPrFVkRc8&ved=2ahUKEwjr-MvC1d3nAhWBVt8KHWwLDCAQwqsBMAB6BAgGEAQ&usg=AOvVaw0_ZHCMXRWKCQ7QJWgVZ11g

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Sometimes the cabinet is overlooked as just a box to put your speakers in but nothing could be further from the truth. It has a big influence on your sound...

Yeah; when I first started messing with this stuff I had no idea that, for example, open vs closed back made a difference. That old Carvin cab I got came closed, but the center back panel was easily removed. I put it on hinges, purely to have an opening tray to serve as a tiny pedalboard, then I noticed the cab sounded different depending on whether I left it open. Who knew? :confused:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I am about to get an orange ppc112 ... orange closed back cab to complement the mesa 112.

Probably get the black version. Yeah I dunno many cab makers that have the reputation for quality construction that orange has ...

Well Mesa makes very nice cabs also yikes ( edit ).

Last edited: