Battle of the thirds

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Many instructors use the term "third" for either the natural or the minor third. Is this just a convention or is there a reason for this? I found this quite confusing when starting to learn theory but am getting used to it now.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Any 2 notes 4 half steps apart = a Major third
Any 2 notes 3 half steps apart = a minor third

In general, the convention is to use minor to mean an interval a half-step smaller/narrower than a Major one. (2nd, 3rd, 6th or 7th)

If an instructor simply says "third" I'm assuming he's assuming you know which one.o_O

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
My own preference would be to say Major 3rd or Major 3 or just 3 for Major, and b3 for a minor 3rd.

But if it's already established which "mode" you're in, whether discussing scales or chords, just saying "third" would suffice.

But If you're discussing "mixing" Major and minor sounds together, being specific would be necessary.:whistle:

Then again, you might be discussing a 3rd between 2 notes that don't involve the root.:sneaky:

It can also be confusing when people use interval (between 2 notes) and scale degree (1 note) interchangeably.

As in "play the minor 3rd" when meaning "play the b3".

And, as we usually discover, "convention" depends on the instructor.

Not all conventions are standard.:confused:o_O

We gotta dance with who brung us.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Any 2 notes 4 half steps apart = a Major third
Any 2 notes 3 half steps apart = a minor third

In general, the convention is to use minor to mean an interval a half-step smaller/narrower than a Major one. (2nd, 3rd, 6th or 7th)

If an instructor simply says "third" I'm assuming he's assuming you know which one.o_O

I've always assumed that when I hear 3rd, it's a Major.If it's supposed to be a minor, then minor 3rd is used.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I've always assumed that when I hear 3rd, it's a Major.If it's supposed to be a minor, then minor 3rd is used.
Me too, but I've heard "third" often used for either. Paleo may be right when he says that the context may influence how the 3rd is referred to. If you're discussing a minor scale, the "third" would obviously be referring to the minor 3rd.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If your wife sends you to the store for a loaf of bread I would recommend not assuming what kind to get.o_O

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If your wife sends you to the store for a loaf of bread I would recommend not assuming what kind to get.o_O

After almost 40 years she understands that if she sends me for unspecified "bread" and I don't come back with kumquats, she's ahead of the game.