If you could have any amp?

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I think I would take this one even over the Marshall Pig.

Of course the only one I see is on Reverb @ $163,000. last month there was a bargain out there @ $70K.

And I don't want this amp because it is ridiculously expensive or rare.

But once I plug into I may get lost....forever.

So let's say you won a contest, you can have any amp for free. What do you pick? Sound samples encouraged.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I could list loads. But then that competition win would have to be massive as I don't play out it would need to buy me a house big enough to play it in:whistle:
So with the constraints I have I am going to upset the tube sniffers on hear and say a Kemper.....

cheers

Al.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I think I would take this one even over the Marshall Pig.

Of course the only one I see is on Reverb @ $163,000. last month there was a bargain out there @ $70K.

And I don't want this amp because it is ridiculously expensive or rare.

But once I plug into I may get lost....forever.

So let's say you won a contest, you can have any amp for free. What do you pick? Sound samples encouraged.

Fair enough Al, and for that reason I am more of a modeler guy as well as opposed to a TAG (Tube Amp Guy).

But if you can pick up a Kemper w power amp for around $3K, you would do that before picking any amp?

As for the constraints we'll throw this in as well

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well certainly the Dumble is a legendary thing of sonic beauty.
Having only hear one live (Robben Ford) I can attest to the glorious tone.
Although I'm sure they all sound wonderful, it's my understanding that there is "no one Dumble" each one is slightly different.
Having said that, I'd feel badly that something like that shouldn't be in the hands of a hack like me.

Some day, I'm gonna hall my #1 guitar to a top notch shop and try as many amps as I can to see if there's one I have to have.
Right now I'm very happy with what I have.
My #1 amp is :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URl7RlddH3s

Like @Al Holloway , I should face reality and shoot for something that performs best in my house.

Shodai

Blues Junior
I think it's much too early in my journey to answer this. I've used Line 6 modeling amps for the last decade or so. When I was younger I had some Peavey amps, like the Renown, all SS stuff.

Just now thinking about branching out to tubes.

Relying on reviews, or others opinions doesn't work because everyone likes something different. What might be your dream amp, might be someone else's last choice.

Hard to make a choice when I haven't found "the one" yet.

Now... Let's talk about the contest where you win one of each!

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I think it's much too early in my journey to answer this. I've used Line 6 modeling amps for the last decade or so. When I was younger I had some Peavey amps, like the Renown, all SS stuff.

Just now thinking about branching out to tubes.

Relying on reviews, or others opinions doesn't work because everyone likes something different. What might be your dream amp, might be someone else's last choice.

Hard to make a choice when I haven't found "the one" yet.

Now... Let's talk about the contest where you win one of each!
soup Nazi Tubes.GIF

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

I already have the amp I want. It's a silverface Super Reverb (circa early 80's).

I'm also extremely happy with my Eleven Racks. I realize the 11r is old tech, but so is the Super Reverb.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I dunno...I really like my Blackstar Artist 15.

It's basic --2-12AX7's and 2- 6L6's.
But it has a sweet tone with plenty of headroom.
The ISF control allows for different voicings, the reverb (though digital), sounds genuine and it loves pedals, as do I. And when I crank it, paint will begin to remove itself from the walls.

What more do I really need?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I'd ask for a rain check until I knew enough to be able to make an effective choice. Every new amp I get seems better than the last in some regard, but I know so precious little about the finer points. :confused:

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I’ve got a Mesa Boogie V:35 and it’s pretty damned close. I might want the full-blown Mark V. or the JP2, with its MIDI capability.

I saw a Hook Wizard (I think) which is also MIDI that I’m intrigued with.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Having a '65 Blackface Twin Reverb RI and a '62 Marshall Bluesbreaker Reissue, I guess I'd have to go for the Dumble

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
So let's say you won a contest, you can have any amp for free. What do you pick?
That really depends on when you ask. At the moment, budget-be-danged, I'd probably say to ship me one of those new Stapleton Signature Fender Princeton amps. I've really liked the sounds that thing gives on the online demos. And I dig the simplicity of it...volume, tone, tremolo. However, I've always said that, if I went out and just bought the amp I want, it'd be an AC30. But then I've also said that, if I ever come across a screamin' deal on an old Vibro Champ I was going to get one of those. Then there was the Fender Eric Clapton Tremolux they did for a while.

I guess, since I always come back to the AC30, if money were no object and I could rationalize having a really nice amp, I'd go for the hand-wired version of the AC30. It's definitely not Dumble money, but it's enough that I can't remotely rationalize getting something that nice. That said, I really like my wall of Blackhearts. Not to say that, if someone offered it to me, I would turn down the Dumble. It just wouldn't be the first one that came to mind if someone offered me whatever I wanted.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I been through a lot of amps, but for some reason I keep plugging back into my 81 (Leo fender) Musicman RD-100--(R=Reverb, D-Distortion) for the past 30 years-I wouldn't know where to start looking for a replacement,,to many out there and not enough time or $$$$.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I think the PRS amps are not getting enough mileage here in this discussion yikes!!!

I dont think i am going to need to go away from that brand now that i have figured out how nice the clean channel is on the MT 15 ... but the hi gain lead channel yowser!