Insurance companies (heads-up)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
3 times last summer we had BAD hail storms. In August we had 2 in one day.....I filed a claim and they sent a estimator out to confirm the damage to re-roof the my house---they came back with a $7000 estimate with a$1000 deductible---so basically $6000.
9 years ago I paid out of my own pocket $9000-to have my house reroofed because they said it was a PRE-_EXSISTING condition (that was State Farm). and I dropped them and got HARTFORD.
There was no way HARTFORD was going to be able to do the job for 7 grand, so my wife contacted an attorney to protest it.....they sent out there estimators and took it to court---we just got news yesterday that Hartford agreed to $31,000. And the attorney did not cost me 1 dime...I do have to pay the $1000 deductible--but NO PROBLEM--Just a heads-up here guys.:thumbup:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Glad you got some satisfaction but...........
$31,000, wont the attorney take 1/3 of that?

So if that's right :
$31,000 settlement
-$10,333 attorney fees
$1,000 deductible
-$10, 000 repair

= $9, 667 Dave's pocket for aggravation

It's a good reminder, insurance companies make money by not paying out claims.
It's a pretty good business model.............for them:mad:

Good news is :), by my count you've got $9,000 to spend on new fishing gear and recording tutors and you still have $667 to give to your wife for making it all happen.;)

You're Golden!
:Beer:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
We havn't received the itemized break down yet..it will be interesting to see. $12,000 for the roof is pretty much dead on the money from what I figured it would cost to re-roofed. It cost $9000 nine years ago, the materials and labor both have went way up since then.
As for any $$$ in my pocket I doubt that very much---My wife don't work that cheap---she will probably take it all and still give me a U.O.I-for $667.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I got a real funny feeling that check ain't gonna have my name on it. Probably the mortgage companies.:( The only check with my signature on it will be the check for the $1000 deductible.
By the way if you have been in any hail storms--torrential rains--hurricanes----check your rain gutters
if they have a lot of sand like gravel in them or if your shingles are loose or lifted---you got a roof problem and they SHOULD cover it.

Last edited:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Our roof is Metal, if we have the kind of hail that'll damage it, the roof will likely be the least of it!