PRS "SE Pauls Guitar"

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
OK, so I get home from work today and I open up my new PRS and...Wow!

I gotta say, PRS makes a very nice guitar.

First of all, it's darker than the Sweetwater pics (which is what I was hoping for) and truly is an amber color rather than the yellowy look the pics showed -- and it looks awesome!

The neck feels very comfortable and even the fret ends are sanded down to get rid of the sharp edges.
The action was a bit high and I've been gradually lowering it in small increments and I think another quarter-turn or so ought to do it.

But the sound...
The sound is gorgeous!

The neck pup is smooth and very balanced with no "boomy-ness" at all.
The bridge pup is solid and not twangy even in overdrive.

But the thing that really amazes me is how well they split.
From humbucker to single coil they each have their own individual voice and there is zero loss in volume.

Played clean, it sounds very warm with well-behaved lows, smooth mids and highs and more than enough punch when I dig in. The bridge pup (in humbucker) sounds really nice and could easily handle smooth Jazz or quiet strumming -- which is something I never thought I'd say about any bridge pickup.

When switched to single-coil, there's still a remarkable level of smoothness but still plenty of single-coil bite if I want it.

The fit and finish is flawless and the thing that struck me the most was that for a 25-inch scale guitar, it's actually quite small. It's shorter than my Strat by about an inch and a half and it's even a bit shorter than my Epi LP Custom.

All in all, I can't say a bad thing about this guitar!
And I'm more than a little impressed by all the features this guitar has - the maple cap, the brass saddle points, the "played-in" fret dressing and of course the sound -- and all of it packed into a guitar that retails for under a grand.

Hats off to PRS! (y)
They really know how to make a great guitar! :Beer:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Yeah i dont believe PRS ever really had any bad pickups but ( im late to the party ) the last 10 years has really lifted the rooftops.

I am a huge fan of the gibson redone 57 line. I cant exactly say i dont still like them a bit better dunno ...

My 2 prs axes have the recent 85/15s and they are phenomenal. I do split them at times ... to me a bit quieter when split!

Congrats again have fun!!!

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
You took a chance and it really paid off for you. I love my 2 PRS... but think I would prefer the fat wide neck! Glad you are enjoying it so well.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
You took a chance and it really paid off for you. I love my 2 PRS... but think I would prefer the fat wide neck! Glad you are enjoying it so well.

Thanks!

You know it's funny...I have average size hands and somewhat thickish fingers and because of that I have always looked for thin necks.
But I have found that some of my guitars that have wider necks are actually easier to fret. Not so much in terms of reach but in terms of accuracy and more importantly in having more room between strings so that I don't accidentally mute strings as much.

Smaller handed people such as myself would naturally think that wider necks are harder to play but the truth is I don't think they are. As long as they're not too thick, the width is actually an advantage.

Totally counterintuitive at first glance but true just the same.

Last edited:

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
Do we get to see a picture or two of your new pride & joy???

Edited to add:

I saw the pics from Sweetwater in your other thread, but was hoping to see your actual at home images where perhaps the colors will appear as you described above.

aleclee

Tribe of One
Yeah i dont believe PRS ever really had any bad pickups but ( im late to the party ) the last 10 years has really lifted the rooftops.
They did up until they came out with the 57/08 pickups. Up until that, many folks (myself included) considered PRS pickups passable at best. Even Paul alludes to that in the interview I did with him a few years back (emphasis added):
Look, it used to be that we were know for making the best looking, best playing guitars and I have spent the last decade working as hard as I possibly can to add “best sounding” to that list.