Tuesday Afternoon

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
With all the discussion of counting in the forum, I was listening to some great music and just noticed that this tune by the Moody Blues goes back and forth between a straight and swing rhythm (01.32).

Does anyone know of any other song that does this?

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
With all the discussion of counting in the forum, I was listening to some great music and just noticed that this tune by the Moody Blues goes back and forth between a straight and swing rhythm (01.32).

Does anyone know of any other song that does this?

Unless I'm off base (and I certainly could be) both of those sections are straight feel. My understanding is that if you can count it 1& 2& 3& 4& then it's straight feel. Straight feel = divide by 2. swing or shuffle feel = divide by 3.
Even though the second part is a different feel (I don't know if Feel or rhythm is the right word) , I still count it 1& 2& 3& 4&.
Swing would be 1&u 2&u 3&u 4&u, and that doesn't seem to fit in this song.

There's a Freddie King song that switches between Shuffle and straight, but I can't bring it to mind right now.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
There's a Freddie King song that switches between Shuffle and straight, but I can't bring it to mind right now.
Are you thinking of All Your Love I Miss Loving?
@dvs posted a link to Stevie Ray Vaughan's recording of it. It's the song that came to mind when I saw your comment.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Unless I'm off base (and I certainly could be) both of those sections are straight feel. My understanding is that if you can count it 1& 2& 3& 4& then it's straight feel. Straight feel = divide by 2. swing or shuffle feel = divide by 3.
Even though the second part is a different feel (I don't know if Feel or rhythm is the right word) , I still count it 1& 2& 3& 4&.
Swing would be 1&u 2&u 3&u 4&u, and that doesn't seem to fit in this song.

I'm certainly no expert in counting. Griff often shortcuts the shuffle count as "1 uh 2 uh 3 uh 4 uh" leaving out the "&" but still leaving a space for it. I think that's what is going on here. You can count the shuffle feel as you say (1& 2& 3& 4&) if you leave a space after the 1.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Hey @BoogieMan, thanks for opening a can of worms!!!! I hadn't listened to the Moody Blues for a long long time, and this started me off on a Youtube troll. Lovin' it!!! Thanks. I'd forgotten so many of their songs, and am thoroughly enjoying re-discovering them again. This one takes me back to being a sixteen year old in the Merchant Navy, playing it on an old mono cassette player. This is an epic production of it. Enjoy.

Checkout John Lodges' guitar/bass!!!!!:cool::cool:

https://youtu.be/9WZZjXgJ4W8

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
thanks for opening a can of worms!!!! I hadn't listened to the Moody Blues for a long long time, and this started me off on a Youtube troll. Lovin' it!!! Thanks. I'd forgotten so many of their songs, and am thoroughly enjoying re-discovering them again. This one takes me back to being a sixteen year old in the Merchant Navy, playing it on an old mono cassette player. This is an epic production of it. Enjoy.

Checkout John Lodges' guitar/bass!!!!!:cool::cool:

Yeah, I've been doing the memory lane thing too. Love that guitar but I'm not sure I could lift that thing never mind play it!

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Looks good. I'll check it out.

Just wondering. Are you finding that after taking Griff's courses, you listen to music a little differently? I now find myself picking out the chord progressions, the rhythm and feel of the groove, and the scales of the licks and solos in my head while enjoying these great old tunes.

david moon

Attempting the Blues

Just wondering. Are you finding that after taking Griff's courses, you listen to music a little differently? I now find myself picking out the chord progressions, the rhythm and feel of the groove, and the scales of the licks and solos in my head while enjoying these great old tunes.
Yep I tend to break it down to the chord progression and rhythm. I don't have perfect pitch so I couldn't tell you what key, but I can follow the changes relative to the root.. On a lot of riffs I am pretty sure where they are on the neck.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss

Absolutely!!:)