Bugera?

Shodai

Blues Junior
I've been thinking of buying a tube amp. I have some very capable solid state modeling amps, so I don't "need" one, pre-se, but I don't have one and that's really the best reason for getting one.

I play at home. When I play out it's usually behind a drum kit. So I don't need a big 100w Marshall stack. Just a nice little combo.

Obviously, it goes without saying that I'm looking at the Fender line. Also considering Vox. I actually don't like the sound of the Marshalls, so I've kind of crossed them off the list.

Saw a used Bugera pretty cheap on CL. The ad said it needs new tubes. I looked up the specs and found out it has an indicator that will tell you if the tubes need to be changed, so that's probably why it's listed as needing them. Found out what the tubes will cost, and even with buying new tubes the total cost would be about $250. It's a V22.

Other than being from China, I know almost nothing about them. China, in and if itself, doesn't bother me. I own other Chinese gear that is just fine.

Anyone around here have one, or any experience with one?

It's tempting being half the price of pretty much anything else in that configuration and power range, but is it worth dropping $250 on, or should I avoid it altogether?

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Experience no, other than hearing them. But I have heard a few V22s live, nice tone and they seem to cut through the mix pretty well.

But $400 new with a two year warranty before haggling, vs unproven and needing new tubes total $250, that's a bit of a gamble. And are you going to install and bias the tubes yourself, cuz if not then there's that cost Good Luck.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Did someone call my name ?

Hell yeah on the Buggera, self bias with new tubes, indicators to let you know which one is bad, power for days

and best of all, you have a slightly different sound than every blues jr and Vox at a jam. Hella reliable, customer service is top notch

Yes, I kind of like them a little

My 1990 infinium rules, I havent looked at another amp since buying it

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
I used to have the their 5150 clone combo. Maybe it was called the 6262? or something.
Anyway, I thought it sounded great. Seemed solid. It got plenty loud. :)

Shodai

Blues Junior
Install and bias the tubes? I'm not quite sure I even know what that means. Install I get, the rest is gobbledygook.

sdbrit68 said "self bias with new tubes"

Does that mean I don't have to worry about it, and it's done automatically?

New to the whole tube thing...

steve o

Student Of The Blues
I can’t speak to the Bugera I had the same tube itch as you a couple of years ago. I got the Monoprice 5 watt amp for $90.00, I love it and it’s still going strong. There are a lot of people on here that have purchased the 15 watt as well and it seems they all have positive reviews. Cowboy did an excellent review of it a while back on the forum but I can’t find it. For under $200.00 it may scratch your itch.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I can’t speak to the Bugera I had the same tube itch as you a couple of years ago. I got the Monoprice 5 watt amp for $90.00, I love it and it’s still going strong. There are a lot of people on here that have purchased the 15 watt as well and it seems they all have positive reviews. Cowboy did an excellent review of it a while back on the forum but I can’t find it. For under $200.00 it may scratch your itch.
With reference to the wattage. I would say it depends how clean you like it. In my mind the advantage of tubes is that edge of breakup warm. I have a 1w and a 5 w (both Blackstar HT series). I would say that of the 2 the 1w is easier to crank to distortion at home. However both suffer from lack of clean headroom and can start getting very flabby if you use a lot of gain from pedals into the front. If you wand clean headroom the 15w is probably better. However IMHO if you want clean headroom use one of your modelling amps:whistle:

cheers

Al.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Install and bias the tubes? I'm not quite sure I even know what that means. Install I get, the rest is gobbledygook.

sdbrit68 said "self bias with new tubes"

Does that mean I don't have to worry about it, and it's done automatically?

New to the whole tube thing...
You'll have to verify it but it looks like on that model the tubes might need biasing

Shodai

Blues Junior
The V22 Vintage was not self-biasing. The V22 Infinium is self-biasing.

Well isn't that just a kick in the giblets... The listing says Vintage V22 Infinium, and now you're telling me they are two different amps?

That just complicates things, now doesn't it!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The listing says Vintage V22 Infinium, and now you're telling me they are two different amps?

From what I could decipher in a quick dive on the webs, the Infinium circuit IS the self biasing circuit and is the big difference between the Vintage V22 and the Vintage V22 Infinium.
The older model was the V22 Vintage and did not have self biasing. The video @Crossroads posted is for the older Vintage V22.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I guess I'll have to check it out carefully.

Thanks for all the input, I knew I came to the right place!
Yeah, Biasing , I cant think of good way to describe it, but, its like setting it to work with the board. the tubes get the proper voltage to give you the performance you paid for, the infinium does it all automatically, which was a big draw to me

If I want more Fender cleans, I just change the tubes, more marshall, I slap them in no problem, I actually keep different sets in a drawer and have swapped them out when I play with different people

But, either way, I really really still get a smile on my face with my Buggera, and I have had it I think, 5 years now maybe. I honestly have have never once thought of trading it in or replacing it

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Bugera’s sell for pretty low prices. I think partly because the new prices are pretty low. As far as sond I tink they are pretty nice?

I have a deal in the works for some Thiele speaker cabs, in trade for a Bugera 333XL and a couple other old tube amps converted into guitar amps. I figured the value of the Bugera at $200, which is crazy for a 100w tube amp. I decided to make the deal.

Biasing tubes is no big deal. But you need to be knowledgable and have the right tools. It’s a 10 minute job, most of which is removing the amp and putting it back in the cabinet.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It’s a 10 minute job, most of which is removing the amp and putting it back in the cabinet.
It appears the original V22 had a test point accessible via RCA jack and the trim pot (complete with knob) right on the tube side of the chassis, so no chassis removal is necessary. Check out the video @Crossroads posted earlier in this thread.

Shodai

Blues Junior
All righty then... It is in fact a Vintage 22 Infinium. Foot switch never removed from the box, manual still in the plastic bag. $200 and it "looks" new. I decided to take a chance and I bought it.

00X0X_6pTDA5VSKx8_600x450~2.jpg

Took it by my brothers place and we checked it out. Found one of the power tubes was loose, so we reseated it. The "replace tubes" light went out, the noise went away, and it sounded great!

It has a mode switch to select between triode or pentode operation. Apparently it affects the power and volume of the amp. Guess I'll have to read up on that.

Watched the tubes. My brother said he didn't notice anything other than the normal glow. He said the tubes might actually be fine, and could have just needed to be reseated. I have no idea.

I'll probably get a set of tubes and start fresh anyway.

But for $200 I think It's pretty good deal.