16 tons (Merle Travis)

Elwood

Blues
I remembered what I could of the song, looked up some lyrics and the song lineage. Written by Merle in 1946, big hit by Tennessee Ernie Ford in '55. I remember hearing this, JIm Reeves, and Marty Robbins gunfighter ballads around the house when I was a kid. An old song with a new friend.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y9dm0ouiqizvced/sixteen tons.mp3?dl=0

The stuttering syncopation between voice and guitar and due to "multi-tasking irregularities" :((my excuse). I had to put down the clapping separately though.:D

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Thanks guys!

Yup, that's my dusky hued beauty. Just got here yesterday. I believe this one is special.

Elwood

Blues
"Bless your little pea pickin' heart."
Awwww schucks. :whistle:

Lovely, simple, minimalist recording
Thanks a lot! The more I try this stuff the more I am amazed at what you guys do. I am MAXED OUT trying to get a vocal and guitar. That is why I haven't jumped in to try to help BCB with Reaper.

You might like this MM...I usually am not real big on giving things names (at least not the same one twice) but this hog of mine, I believe she is Elonee. I saw some of the concern you gathered over using "Many Moons" here on the board. "Elonee" is an interesting name. First off the internet tries to convince me I musta spelled it wrong. Not the case. I found one reference and down in the name descriptions it had this "You are gifted with natural expression, both verbal and musical, but you would find it tedious to study music and practice theory." Now that sure fits me (the tedious part), and Elonee is not there to be a workhorse, sooo. Oh yeah, the name...There was another dusky hued beauty in my life, simple and beautiful, a poor girl, Choctaw - tex-mex. She told me her name was something to do with her Choctaw blood, but that was a long time ago. People told stories back then and didn't have google to call each other liars over, so no telling about the name. She lives in my heart still.

Rad

Blues Newbie
Thanks for posting, good memory for me.

I learned that song a few years ago along with a cool lead break done by a guy in about 1965, can’t remember his name. I learned it because I lost my dad over 40 yrs ago and one vivid memory I have of him is him singing that back in 1950’s because is favorite singer was Tennessee Ernie Ford.

I was surprised what a fast tempo Ford performs this song at.

Elwood

Blues
Thanks Wim!

Very cool Rad! I should go listen to it now. I wanted to use what I could pull out of my head except for the lyrics, way too many. Also, when I looked up the history I saw reference to finger snapping. I vaguely recalled that and it made a great excuse to use a metronome. First I tried fingersnapping. I could get maybe 8 bars that were OK. I'm such a clutz in Reaper I couldn't even cut and paste 3 minutes worth without hearing hitches. By then all I could do was clap and, by then that was plenty good enough. So I sat with the clock in my ear and clapped for 3 and a half minutes. About a minute in my male boxer alerts, I didn't even care he barked by then. Anyway, really glad it took you back. Me too, for me it was well suited to my new sweetie, her namesake liked Mr. Ford too!

Elwood

Blues
Finger snapping, Yup, by Ford, it was a big part of his version both visually and sound wise. Of course, he was not playing guitar.
thanks for posting that link! what a hoot! That is fast! Sometimes when I think of an old tune I like to get as far as I can without "peeking", you know comparing my recall to reality. Oh well, I got kinda close. :rolleyes:

Thanks Mike! I'm looking forward to hearing yours!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Now that sure fits me (
Me too. Here is a little interesting tid-bit on that song. When Ed Sullivan had Bo Diddley on his show Bo Diddley was suppose to "16 Tons" because Ed thought his song "Bo Diddley" might be frowned upon by his main viewers who were white.---So Bo agreed to do 16 tons (he does a killer version of it the old Bo touch)---He gets on stage and plays his song "Bo Diddley" instead--Ed Sullivan got furious over it, said Bo had double crossed him and didn't want to pay him (but did) but Bo was never invited back to the Ed Sullivan show.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Nice job!! Great song.
the Jeff Beck / ZZ Top version is my favorite "off the wall" rendition of it.