Tab Benoit

Shodai

Blues Junior
At the Tupelo Music Hall tonight.

Close enough to not only get pics of his set up, but his pedal settings.

IMG_20200109_190640090_opt.jpg result.jpg

And his extension cord...

IMG_20200109_191010089_opt.jpg

Gotta say, I love this venue... And I'm feeling a lot better about my gear...

Show hasn't started yet... 5 more minutes. Which, of course, will probably make me feel a lot worse about my playing.

Full report to follow.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Opening acts were Josh Garrett and Eric Johanson. New comers that Tab had taken under his wing, so to speak. Each had a three song set, with Mr. Tab Benoit on
... Drums
Who knew?
IMG_20200109_202559837_opt.jpg

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I saw him last spring here in Kalamazoo. I didn't see him step on any pedals. I will admit to be disappointed that he chose to play drums for a good chunk of his show. He's an ok drummer IMHO. People don't buy tickets to see him play drums. He'll be back in the spring, so I'll take a wait and see attitude. :whistle::rolleyes:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
When I saw him, the other two guys were just the opening act(s) and could have had anyone playing drums for them. When Tab came out he played for over two hours, so he still did a full show playing guitar and the drumming didn't cut into any of his set time.

Shodai

Blues Junior
So... As it turns out the pedals were for the opening acts. Maybe he just lent them his extension cord. Nice guy, so it seems like the kind of thing he'd do.

Be that as it may, the show kicked! He talks a lot between songs, but I knew that going in, so I expected it. Funny guy. Reminded me of Mitch Hedberg.

As for the drums, he didn't play anything I couldn't. So I guess I can tell people that I play as well as Tab Benoit, I just won't mention the drums ;)

The guitar? Lawdy, that boy can play. May have to sell mine.o_O

IMG_20200109_211355482_opt.jpg

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
I've seen him a couple of times at the same smallish club in town. Both times here was no pedalboard used, but he did switch between two amps now and then. One was a Cat 5, I think and the other was some type of Fender beast. Both were very,very loud so he could get tons of drive just from the amps and some versatility switching between the two. He had an opener one of the times. I don't remember the name of the band but the front guy was the owner and founder of Lagunitas Beer. He had brought a lot of kegs with him and announced before starting that during their set if you mentioned his name all Lagunitas was on the house. For some reason they got sme big calls for an encore.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
About three years ago I caught Tab at a show in Springfield, Illinois and he played (guitar only) a fantastic set - but then I knew a guy who knew a guy (I know LOTS of guys) who had caught wind that there would be an after-show at a bar just down the street. Those "in the know" headed down there and Tab showed up and played drums for a couple hours - until the bar closed at 2am. Was a blast!

Something else I (the guy with about 90 guitars) likes about him, is he's used the same guitar for decades now - a Fender thinline Telecaster - and you can look at the album covers to see it aging over the years.

Kevin

Shodai

Blues Junior
He had two tele's on stage. Pretty much identical, '72 Thinlines. Both very well worn. Just played one. I'm guessing the other was probably a back up in the event of a broken string or some such.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
He had two tele's on stage. Pretty much identical, '72 Thinlines. Both very well worn. Just played one. I'm guessing the other was probably a back up in the event of a broken string or some such.
In the rig rundown he said he actually owns four and he likes them all for different reasons because they all sound different, he keeps his second favorite on stage as you said, just in case.