Amps Soon-To-Be NCD!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
As in new cab.

The old Carvin 1x12 I've been using with my Quilter Mach 2 head is heavy as sin, especially combined with the speaker. I was considering swapping in a neo speaker, like the one that Quilter puts in its HD combos and cabs, but the cab itself is still quite heavy in its own right.

So, part of shopping around for ideas, I was considering one of the Quilter brand HD extension cabs. Spendy, but light and lots of people love the tone—the Celestion BN-12 300s speaker is like an EVM 12L but for a little over half the cost. My local shop is an authorized Quilter dealer, though they stopped stocking their stuff because it doesn't sell around here. A couple of days ago I asked one of the owners if they knew of any deals, used or otherwise, and he said he'd check.

Heard back a little while ago: he got a bite on an HD cab that's like new, just open box, for $100 off street price. I told him a big yes and he's going to order it tomorrow for in-store pickup here, probably in 2-3 days. w00t! :Beer:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Noice! Sounds like a great deal. You are going to have a real powerhouse... a very versatile and light powerhouse!!! Congrats!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Just plugged in the cab paired with the Mach 2 head, tried some stuff with my semi-new PRS S2 singlecut.

Wow!

I confess I was a little concerned by some reviews I've read complaining that the BN12-300S speaker was too dark. Maybe I'm just a dark person, because the tone I'm hearing is FAB. I tried a few stock 1-2 bar licks; I have the gain and the master low, voicing on Surf and the boost on Loud. WOW, again. It's almost too loud (gain 10:00, master 8:30), and the articulation of the notes is like fine crystal.

Then I tried the same setup in acoustic mode: strumming chord variations as though I were playing acoustic numbers with my Fender Acoustasonic. I rate that experience based on how clearly I can hear the nuances of the chord variations: no mud or clutter, everything clean and distinct. Passed with flying colors. The acid test is the intro to Tequila Sunrise: can the hammer-ons for the G6 chord alternated with the open G sound clean and clear? The answer is yes.

I think I may be smitten. :Beer:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Looks sweet... sounds sweet... lightweight, powerful... what a great pairing!!! Congratulations... again!!!