Amps Celestion BN12-300s Speaker

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Looking into the subject speaker with a great deal of interest. Not only is it the go-to speaker for Quilter in their HD combo amps and cabinets, it's rated as a 300W bass speaker as well—which makes it a prime candidate for a cab that could do double duty.

Some reviewers complain it's "dark" while others love the tone, so I expect the final tally is a matter of taste and EQ usage. The speaker, according to claims by Quilter, doesn't color the tone much, which might be one reason it's an "official" pairing for the Mach 2 amps with their multiple voicing and built-in compression (limiter), colored boost, and ambient effects.

I think I've about decided to give one a try with the Mach 2 head I recently purchased. I'm liking the idea of one amp/cab I could use for both the PRS and the RumbleKat bass. :Beer:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Looking into the subject speaker with a great deal of interest. Not only is it the go-to speaker for Quilter in their HD combo amps and cabinets, it's rated as a 300W bass speaker as well—which makes it a prime candidate for a cab that could do double duty.

Some reviewers complain it's "dark" while others love the tone, so I expect the final tally is a matter of taste and EQ usage. The speaker, according to claims by Quilter, doesn't color the tone much, which might be one reason it's an "official" pairing for the Mach 2 amps with their multiple voicing and built-in compression (limiter), colored boost, and ambient effects.

I think I've about decided to give one a try with the Mach 2 head I recently purchased. I'm liking the idea of one amp/cab I could use for both the PRS and the RumbleKat bass. :Beer:

Have you found one for sale yet? None of my usual places )Sweetwater, AMS, Musician's Friend...) seem to carry them.
I found one at Pro Audio Land, but I've never dealt with them before.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Have you found one for sale yet? None of my usual places )Sweetwater, AMS, Musician's Friend...) seem to carry them.
I found one at Pro Audio Land, but I've never dealt with them before.

Just the Audio Land source via Amazon. I found a couple of other possible search hits but the prices were $30+ higher. I'm also considering a used Quilter HD cab, looking for deals. The cab I have is working out well (with the Quilter head) for guitar but I'm interested in an all-in-one cab so I don't need to schlep my Rumble 100 to open mics in the hopes of getting in some jam time with the new RumbleKat bass guitar.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
$150 from Parts Express as well. Plus, if you sign up for their email (popup that occurs when you go there), you can get 7% off.

Better yet, use coupon code GGLE15 and get $15 off.

I looked at them when I bought my Lil' Texas, but decided I wanted the more Fender-style speaker.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I'm waiting to get it to post about it, but I just got a killer deal on a used Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 8" combo, so I've been looking at used 12" Quilter cabinets that mate up with the MicroPro.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I'm waiting to get it to post about it, but I just got a killer deal on a used Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 8" combo, so I've been looking at used 12" Quilter cabinets that mate up with the MicroPro.

Cool! Part of my considering a Quilter HD cabinet is the Carvin 1x12 cab I have now is rather heavy (going with the neo speaker would shave 7 lbs but the cab itself is also weighty). If I score one of the Q cabs for a decent price (my local shop guy is an authorized Quilter dealer and has some feelers out for me) to mate up with the Mach 2 head I'd consider it a win.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
$150 from Parts Express as well. Plus, if you sign up for their email (popup that occurs when you go there), you can get 7% off.

I looked at them when I bought my Lil' Texas, but decided I wanted the more Fender-style speaker.

Disabled my popup blocker, went there but no 7% discount?????

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
W00t! My local shop guy emailed me, found a deal on an HD cab and I'm going for it. I'll save the details for its own thread. :Beer:

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
A speaker's bass response is dictated as much by the cabinet in which it is mounted as it depends on the speakers's response curve.

I designed my custom cab for my Egnater Rebel 30 to be able to drive bass guitar frequencies. It is a ported cab, but had to be made about 30" x "20" x 14", and has a single 12" driver.

I you use a sealed cab it needs to be even larger to be able to get lower frequencies to be heard.

The move to smaller and smaller gear is nice, but the laws of physics can not be ignored. You can make a small amp with hundreds of watts, but if you want efficient low frequencies, the speaker and speaker cabinets can not be small.

Make sure your cab can do the low frequencies at the volume levels you want it to be able to do. You can't just add power, because eventually the speaker with distort, or fail.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
A speaker's bass response is dictated as much by the cabinet in which it is mounted as it depends on the speakers's response curve.

I designed my custom cab for my Egnater Rebel 30 to be able to drive bass guitar frequencies. It is a ported cab, but had to be made about 30" x "20" x 14", and has a single 12" driver.

I you use a sealed cab it needs to be even larger to be able to get lower frequencies to be heard.

The move to smaller and smaller gear is nice, but the laws of physics can not be ignored. You can make a small amp with hundreds of watts, but if you want efficient low frequencies, the speaker and speaker cabinets can not be small.

Make sure your cab can do the low frequencies at the volume levels you want it to be able to do. You can't just add power, because eventually the speaker with distort, or fail.

Hard for us non-sound engineers (In my case unsound engineer?) to figure any of that out without buying the gear and trying it.